The Dinner Table

Captain Planet

What was/is your dinner table like when you were younger, with the family, nowadays etc?

I remember there was a time where we all crammed into one corner of the kitchen to eat, mum said we shouldn't eat in the sitting room, the regular banter would follow the lines of eating/handling food with left hand and often the way my older bro stores all his food in one cheek when he eats.

I remember carrying a bowl of soapy water to my parents whenever we ate Fufu, Akple, Banku or any of the soft-soup combos.

My sisters would always rush their food to run and watch Eastenders, because the rice didn't wait for anyone.

Also for some reason me and my bro used to have some mad competitive beef over who finished their food the quickest, I think it's cos' my mum would declare the first to finish "the winner", who ever won would hold their spoon up in victory, and when my sisters came along the competition relaxed between us and they carried on the dinner plate derbies.

In recent times we are back in the living room at home, and cos I'm here in exile at uni my dinnertable is my desk so rice, lappy, book, sperm all grace the same surface.

Yours?

• Downvote 1

What was/is your dinner table like when you were younger, with the family, nowadays etc?

I remember there was a time where we all crammed into one corner of the kitchen to eat, mum said we shouldn't eat in the sitting room, the regular banter would follow the lines of eating/handling food with left hand and often the way my older bro stores all his food in one cheek when he eats.

I remember carrying a bowl of soapy water to my parents whenever we ate Fufu, Akple, Banku or any of the soft-soup combos.

My sisters would always rush their food to run and watch Eastenders, because the rice didn't wait for anyone.

Also for some reason me and my bro used to have some mad competitive beef over who finished their food the quickest, I think it's cos' my mum would declare the first to finish "the winner", who ever won would hold their spoon up in victory, and when my sisters came along the competition relaxed between us and they carried on the dinner plate derbies.

In recent times we are back in the living room at home, and cos I'm here in exile at uni my dinnertable is my desk so rice, lappy, book, sperm all grace the same surface.

Yours?

PMSL.

But no,recent years it has been a straight get the food and eat upstairs thing.

In the past just a standard dinner table with my mum and brother..my mum wouldnt even let us play them games about who finishes first gets di spoon of victory..it was a "YOU FINISH THAT OR YOUR NOT LEAVING THE TABLE" kind of situation moretime.

it was in the kitchen growing up, then it was on a glass table in the front room, msn days it was at the pc desk.

There were bare rules at the start, no elbows on table, fork in the right hand, no talking while u eat, then wierd made up 1's an elder would think of when high, for example, no sitting down to eat without a drink besides you, no eating all ur meat and leaving bare rice,

good times. Now I eat at the table again, big wooden thing in the 'parlour'. Seats 6 I think, always just me on my 1s tho. Them heartbreak there

used to eat on the table with everyone there used to be a battle for the biggest piece of meat/chicken which i would always win cos I'm da oldest

would get clapped if u left veg on the plate

would get clapped if you played with ur food

would get clapped if u ate with ur left hand

would get clapped if u got a drink before finishing the meal(weird)

then wen i got older i started eating in my room and leaving it under the bed like a hotel pmsl

• Upvote 1

dinner at home was always informal, usually got together on sunday for formalities.

i had a posh aunt i hated going round on weekends to, it was torture at dinner

"dont put your elbow on the table, use a napkin, asked to be excused"

i couldn't take food to my room though

its not all about taking the food and going to ur room tbh

/

Table?

On the ground, with the right hand like desert bedouins. Left hand was never allowed

NIP_14.jpg

vbvcb

b

c

REEAL

That plate was used when the elders came around and when they came you were pissed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eating with your Dad and Elders from that plate

Dad/Uncles always used to make you eat with them form that plate because is 'part of becoming a man' you don't want to eat in a small plate in the kitchen do you, couldn't even dispute about it so when i go to eat i was struggling to keep up, them man were pros at this grabbing a whole chicken and with some next tekkers turning it into diced chicken it was mad. My tek at eating chicken was weak them times so Dad used to pick up the chicken when i was finished with it like 'theres more chicken look' i tried my hardest to see where he was coming from then he would examine it tossing and turning it fining all sorts of hidden chicken.

Even when it came to the rice they had perfected a next way to pick it up from the plate and into their mouth with dropping a single grain on the floor, these were handfuls of rice as well was mad.

Eating with my mum and siblings was jokes, the 'whoever finishes first is the winner' was such a motivation and if that didn't work then the 'don't you dare let me finish before you' or 'show me your plate when your finish' did the job. Tried pulling the 'my tummy hurts' bar but it never worked, would just go 'ok put it in the microwave sleep it but don't worry it will be waiting for you when you get better' lol, there was no remorse aswell because you could'nt decide the portion until you were old enough to serve yourself, when you watched your mum putting that food on your plate i was like mum thats enough she would go Wah!? your not *youngest siblings name here* lol. You had to be smart with your beverage aswell, had to not finish it all in one go cause you weren't getting no refills until your mum thought was making good progress on the food lol.

The soapy water was standard for dad after he finished his meal.

Talking from a Somali family perspective.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"dont put your elbow on the table, asked to be excused"

this is my mum

no singing at the table, fork in the left, knife in the right, soup spoons etc

we used to eat at about 5 in the kitchen round the table, neighbours on the tv when i was younger

now everyone lives different lives but we try do the table thing on a Sunday, i have been and always will be the last to finish, and everyone has to wait for me or ask to be excused

annoying cos once theyre all finished they are rushing me

God forbid u got predators at the table asking 'to help' with my food, im not full up man im just enjoying my food, taking my time and chewing it a few times before i swallow. Worst if i was saving the best till last and that just got swiped off my plate, thats rage!

Sunday dinner can be too much joke sometimes, i hav to sit next to my sister and if i make her larf with her mouth full dinner is actually over, girl is spraying food everywhere

Oh sh*t you guys went in.

Im left handed always had to correct myself. Took me so long to learn the hand technique kinda like the angry italian hand except wit hthe thumb lower down to support the food then push the thumb right up to slip the food into ur mouth

50262_113514829929_5475163_n.jpg

• 2 years later...

used to eat on the table with everyone there used to be a battle for the biggest piece of meat/chicken which i would always win cos I'm da oldest

would get clapped if u left veg on the plate

would get clapped if you played with ur food

would get clapped if u ate with ur left hand

would get clapped if u got a drink before finishing the meal(weird)

then wen i got older i started eating in my room and leaving it under the bed like a hotel pmsl

lolol