FANTA

One thing I love in England is how despite so many top players and managers who are actually out on thepitch playing can see scholes is a serious DON yet gerrard who clearly isn't as highly rated, probably due to his 100mph type of play which often get's him schooled when up against pass and move type cms somehow get's elevated to scholes level????

only in england. ONLY IN ENGLAND

Yet Zidane called him the best in the world.

Gerrard isn't highly rated, yet when has Scholes ever finished 3rd in the Ballon D'or, how many team of the years has Scholes been in compared to Gerrard?

How many Uefa team of the years has Scholes been in compared to Gerrard, its clearly not only England u mug.

cuz im an arsenal fan so i got no reason to love scholes, especially as when we was gully man utd was our hated rivals.

BUT dons like xavi, guardiola, iniesta, zidane, deschamps, blanc, davids and almost every player who's played with scholes said he's the best they played with or against.

This is a case of people overrating underrated players.

Manchester United Premier League (10): 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–1 FA Cup (3): 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04 Football League Cup (2): 2008–09, 2009– 10 FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010 UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08 Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999 FIFA Club World Cup (1)

Most pointless post in this topic tbh

Not really fam. To have won all of those trophies over that period of time speaks volumes. Kept his place in the team and cobtributed to winning these trophies. Gerrard would swap all his individual honours for just 1 prem league in an instant. Scholes is still playing for the champions and league leaders at 37 years old ffs

Done with the argument its pointless and I rate gerrard highly but scholes is superior to gerrard im afraid. It must hurt that liverpools best player in ur lifetime still comes behind a united player lol. Same old story

O'Shea has won more honours than Gerrard as well, so as Phil Neville.

i'LL JUST POST THIS UP. SAID IT BEFORE I'LL SAY IT AGAIN!!! US FANS CAN SAY SO & SO IS BETTER BUT WHEN PEOPLE ACTUALLY OUT ON THE FIELD OR MANAGERS KEEP REPEATING THE SAME THING????? IT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT A PLAYER

Ryan Giggs:

“I have played with some great players during my time at United but I would have to put Paul Scholes down as the best.”

Sir Bobby Charlton:

“Paul is always so in control and pin-point accurate with his passing—a beautiful player to watch.”

Zinedine Zidane:

“There is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own.”

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.”

“One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.”

Michael Carrick:

“Paul Scholes is just fantastic.”

“When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is. He is so intelligent and clever, he makes the game look really simple and showed it against Celtic by creating two goals.”

“Believe me, it is a pretty hard skill to be able to slot people through gaps when everything is going on around you. Paul can do that and I felt he was the big difference between the teams.”

Thierry Henry:

“For me the best player, and every time we used to play against Manchester United, we always used to be scared of Paul Scholes. For me, he was the best I have seen in the Premiership in the middle of the park.”

“His vision, the way he sees the game, his goals ratio…a bit more now obviously, because we all, you know have to stop one day…but his goal ratio, his vision, he could put his foot in, whatever you wanted.”

“I’m also a big fan of Steven Gerrard but for me, Paul Scholes was amazing.”

Xavi:

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.”

“He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.”

“A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he’s the best central midfielder I’ve seen in the last 15, 20 years. He’s spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he’s strong, he doesn’t lose the ball, vision. If he’d been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.”

Edgar Davids:

“I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is. We can all learn from Paul Scholes.”

Marcello Lippi:

“Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team — that is how highly I have always rated him.”

“An all-round midfielder with quality and character in abundance.”

Laurent Blanc:

“I tell anyone who asks me — Scholes is the best English player.”

Peter Schmeichel:

“His reading of the game is unsurpassed. He has the best eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have.”

“He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen.”

Sir Alex Ferguson:

“He’s one of the great players to come through the ranks here.”

Pep Guardiola:

“Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation.”

“I would have loved to have played alongside him.”

Seen it.

It also says something about a player when he is nominated to 3rd best in the world, or do you not know the list of honours that i posted for Gerrard was decided by players and managers across the world?

I remember Zidane saying Gerrard was the best player in the world in 09, i never beleived him though because obviously Ronaldo and Messi were better players.

• Downvote 1

Not really, any fool that thinks Gerrard can't be compared with Scholes is just that a fool, the irony is if i said is Robson a better player to United fans, some of you would say no, some yes, some maybe, but cause its Gerrard its who plays for Liverpool its a different story.

Are you going to tell me Robson is a far better player than Gerrard yh, cause somehow i don't think i believe that.

Manchester United Premier League (10): 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–1 FA Cup (3): 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04 Football League Cup (2): 2008–09, 2009– 10 FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010 UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08 Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999 FIFA Club World Cup (1)

He then goes on to spout this nonsense

One day, one of these players will get man of the match awards while being played in positions all over the pitch.

Oh wait Gerrard did that already while playing at right back, left midfield, right midfield, defensive midfield, central midfield, attacking midfield, second striker.

SNM

Lol at neggin this post but it being 100% true. Steven Gerrard has got man of the match awards playing in every one of the positions mentioned. But beyond that, its not so hard to imagine that he would. Now try to imagine any other English player EVER getting man of the match awards (As in the best player on the pitch that day) in all those positions.

Name the players that have done it or name the players you can realistically imagine doing it or gtfo

:rofl:

My word

The way the quote dates even tell people your trying to flip my words. Still waiting for the response telling me I'm wrong though

Not really fam. To have won all of those trophies over that period of time speaks volumes. Kept his place in the team and cobtributed to winning these trophies. Gerrard would swap all his individual honours for just 1 prem league in an instant. Scholes is still playing for the champions and league leaders at 37 years old ffs

Done with the argument its pointless and I rate gerrard highly but scholes is superior to gerrard im afraid. It must hurt that liverpools best player in ur lifetime still comes behind a united player lol. Same old story

O'Shea has won more honours than Gerrard as well, so as Phil Neville.

This is why I said naming Scholes' honours is pointless cos we could all name players that have achieved more honours than say Cantona, but it dont make them better players

※ GARY NEVILLE (January 2011):

“Steven Gerrard is undoubtedly a world-class player and I wish he'd played for United. 'Come play for United,' I said one day to Steven when we were in the hotel. 'The fans will take to you in no time.' He just laughed, and said: 'I'll do it if you go to Anfield.'”

※ ALAN HANSEN (April 2010):

“Liverpool supporters love him, he is part of the place. If he doesn't play there is something missing. It is just great to have players of the quality of Gerrard in the team because with him in the team Liverpool can beat anyone.”

※ MARCEL DESAILLY

“A wonderful player. I can hardly think of another player who can deliver a shot with such perfection and beauty. Such a versatile performer: good at winning the ball from opponents, always trying to create something for teammates, and lethal when he shoots on goal. Also, he is a leader.”

※ JAMIE CARRAGHER (November 2010):

“Stevie is just an unbelievable talent, we all know that. But he keeps on producing when it matters and, to me, that makes him the best player the club has ever had and the most influential player ever in the Premier League.”

※ KAKÁ (November 2009):

“England have always had individually strong players and I am a huge fan of Stevie Gerrard. He has the heart of a lion and is the icon of the modern footballer with his ability to attack and defend so well. He is the world's most complete modern player.”

※ PATRICK VIEIRA (October 2008):

“The best midfielder I would say is Steven Gerrard. I really rate him as a player and as a man. I think he is still one of the best. He is so powerful and strong. He can attack, he can defend and he can score.”

※ CARLO ANCELOTTI (November 2010):

“He is the complete midfielder. He can be a holding midfielder; he has fantastic shots, passes and skills. When I played, there were players like Giancarlo Antognoni and Rainer Bonhof but today Gerrard, full stop.”

※ ZINEDINE ZIDANE (March 2009):

“Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be. If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly, he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence.”

※ PELÉ (June 2006):

“Gerrard is an excellent player, absolutely world class. If I was a manager, everywhere I went I would buy Steven Gerrard. He is what Brazil needs, because he is always looking forward and has a big heart. Two years ago I saw Gerrard play and then I saw him in Tokyo in a game against Sao Paulo. I said then that Gerrard is a great player. To me he is one of the best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.”

※ THIERRY HENRY (November 2008):

“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt. The guy is always putting his foot in, always scoring and doing what he has to do to make his team win. That is what football is all about. He, for me, is Liverpool.”

I think the last one below should interest you guys since we are saying that the peoples opinions in football are so accurate and not subject to change at all.

I'd like to point out at this point that I'm not saying that Gerrard can do what Scholes can do better than Scholes, but there is no way Scholes can do what Gerrard can do better than Gerrard.

※ SIR ALEX FERGUSON (May 2004):

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game. I've watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He's got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.NO

• Upvote 2

Scholes >>> Gerrard

※ GARY NEVILLE (January 2011):

“Steven Gerrard is undoubtedly a world-class player and I wish he'd played for United. 'Come play for United,' I said one day to Steven when we were in the hotel. 'The fans will take to you in no time.' He just laughed, and said: 'I'll do it if you go to Anfield.'”

※ ALAN HANSEN (April 2010):

“Liverpool supporters love him, he is part of the place. If he doesn't play there is something missing. It is just great to have players of the quality of Gerrard in the team because with him in the team Liverpool can beat anyone.”

※ MARCEL DESAILLY

“A wonderful player. I can hardly think of another player who can deliver a shot with such perfection and beauty. Such a versatile performer: good at winning the ball from opponents, always trying to create something for teammates, and lethal when he shoots on goal. Also, he is a leader.”

※ JAMIE CARRAGHER (November 2010):

“Stevie is just an unbelievable talent, we all know that. But he keeps on producing when it matters and, to me, that makes him the best player the club has ever had and the most influential player ever in the Premier League.”

※ KAKÁ (November 2009):

“England have always had individually strong players and I am a huge fan of Stevie Gerrard. He has the heart of a lion and is the icon of the modern footballer with his ability to attack and defend so well. He is the world's most complete modern player.”

※ PATRICK VIEIRA (October 2008):

“The best midfielder I would say is Steven Gerrard. I really rate him as a player and as a man. I think he is still one of the best. He is so powerful and strong. He can attack, he can defend and he can score.”

※ CARLO ANCELOTTI (November 2010):

“He is the complete midfielder. He can be a holding midfielder; he has fantastic shots, passes and skills. When I played, there were players like Giancarlo Antognoni and Rainer Bonhof but today Gerrard, full stop.”

※ ZINEDINE ZIDANE (March 2009):

“Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be. If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly, he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence.”

※ PELÉ (June 2006):

“Gerrard is an excellent player, absolutely world class. If I was a manager, everywhere I went I would buy Steven Gerrard. He is what Brazil needs, because he is always looking forward and has a big heart. Two years ago I saw Gerrard play and then I saw him in Tokyo in a game against Sao Paulo. I said then that Gerrard is a great player. To me he is one of the best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.”

※ THIERRY HENRY (November 2008):

“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt. The guy is always putting his foot in, always scoring and doing what he has to do to make his team win. That is what football is all about. He, for me, is Liverpool.”

I think the last one below should interest you guys since we are saying that the peoples opinions in football are so accurate and not subject to change at all.

I'd like to point out at this point that I'm not saying that Gerrard can do what Scholes can do better than Scholes, but there is no way Scholes can do what Gerrard can do better than Gerrard.

※ SIR ALEX FERGUSON (May 2004):

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game. I've watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He's got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.NO

Bu Bu Bang!

• Downvote 1