Supermalt

The UK is losing its black talent

The other week I went to the leaving party of a good friend. Afiyua is heading for a new career in Ghana, as a manager of a small charity that supports orphaned and vulnerable children living in Accra. What struck me about her departure, though, is just how many black Britons I know who have left the UK since the start of the recession.

She had previously been searching for work in the UK; but cuts to the charity and not-for-profit sector meant that looking abroad was her only viable option. Noticing the trend, I did a quick survey of more than 100 black friends and contacts: and I was shocked to find that more than 70% said that, since 2008, they had either left the UK or seriously considered leaving. It seems we are losing black Britons, and this is not a good thing.

What worries me most is that we seem to be losing highly educated people. Around 80% of those I questioned had first, second or even third degrees, and more than two-thirds were between 26 and 35 years old. These are skilled black people who were born and raised in British society. Can the UK really afford to lose skilled workers when what we are most in need of is economic growth?

So why are they leaving? More than 60% said it was to escape the recession and seek business and job opportunities. But almost two thirds felt that the recession had affected ethnic minorities more than white Britons and 94% said the recession had affected them financially or career-wise.

Figures revealed last weekend, showing that unemployment among young black men has doubled in the last three years, gave weight to their fears. According to the Office for National Statistics, more than half of Britain's young black men, and 39% of women, are jobless – more than twice the rate for young white people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/17/uk-black-talent-leaving-recession

I think this applies to all races, if offered a job elsewhere i would seriously consider going tbh. Them ones when you applying you dont even check london no more

i saw that article and i can agree with it. this time next week ill be f*ck*ng off too...

from my circle, i know at least 9 pple within that age range doing the same

its not just the recession, but perhaps the recession brings about that push you need to seek out better opportunities.

my friend in Hong Kong pays £3 weekly travelcard, a very nice and cheap (compared to what he'd get for that in UK) and hi tech apartment

and earns £60k. wtf he gonna be doing here.

its all about being socially mobile anyway.. whitey's been doing it for ages. spend your under 21-35 yrs to seek opportunities outside of your comfort zone

it will always help you in the long run.

My cousin used to work in Tesco and do security, looking for work after uni ..his landord threw him out his house and he went to gambia to set up an events business..

now he's recently copped a new 3 series, and over there theres no Lease or credit..you pay in full done within 12months. he's now in Ghana expanding to set up the same in Ghana this yr.

whats the point of not using your heritage country or culture, or just a general interest in a country to see whats out there by seeking if theres opportuntiies?

• Downvote 1

its not even strictly black talent. its all talent within the 21-35 age group. People educated/trained in the UK are more valued around the world now, especially as other countries arent struggling from the recession nearly as much as the UK. Australia, Middle East, USA, Asia and plenty of african countries will pretty much double your UK wage and provide a better quality of life.

The other thing that counts in our favour is most people are all talk. They're all like id love to (insert exotic country) but when it comes to crunch they would never leave their parents, friends, family etc. behind. There are a lot more opportunities than people willing to exploit them.

the world is bigger than this island, i was bitter when one girl called me talking about her dubai adventures. Was saying 'isit' with a salty face thinking when did this broad plan this?

My uncle owns a medium conglomerate in nigeria, said i can join him only if i do youth service lol. boi.

i could work abroad for a while i recon... in a major city somewer in middle east or far east

but i'l never leave london

dont care what other heads seem to want to do.. i dnty have family i know of living in around afghanistan...i cant speak the language at all.. i have no business loooking back to the 3rd world unless its to enslave my former people and use them for my own nefarious purporses

bury me in my gucci in brent borough

i swear u rep being a afgan harrrd but u dnt speak it

looooooll really?

i meet a lot of guys who do the whole living away from family thing and its fucked. I dunno how people do it. Met a few people who live in hotels/apartments/flatshares monday-friday and go home on the weekends. These are men with wives and young children. Absolute madness. I dont think i could it.

Alot of people are weighing opportunities abroad regardless of race.

I hear a lot of whites colleagues considering canada, Australia. Just last week I attended a send off party..

As for working abroad I will definitely consider it.

My parents have moved back home and are much financially better off than over here...

Most of my uni colleagues are working abroad.

Its uncivilized not to broaden your horizons in these times tbh.

Regardless of race.

I really want to work in another country purely to feel like I can enjoy what o have worked hard for. If I got a good opportunity somewhere abroad I would just have to get the wife on board and then I'm gone. Not sure I could go without taking her. Anything longer than 4 months and I would miss her too much.

I want to find something in Brazil ideally. Country seems to be going from strength to strength. Once I get on the accountancy wagon properly definitely looking into it.

• Upvote 1

the world is bigger than this island, i was bitter when one girl called me talking about her dubai adventures. Was saying 'isit' with a salty face thinking when did this broad plan this?

My uncle owns a medium conglomerate in nigeria, said i can join him only if i do youth service lol. boi.

LOL

only thing holding me back from working out there.

Apparently its 1 year and a half ting.

Its compulsory before you can work over there.

One of my boys fam is well connected out there. So someone is taking the YS on his behalf..

SMH naija if there is money. Anything is possible.