Sunday Trading Law - Do We Need it?

Lens

Just a random question

I won't lie, when it's sunday and it's 5pm, I'm pissed off coz I can't go to a supermarket like normal. I can't be alone when I say this

relaxing this law would mean more jobs/more hours for people who currently work

haven't heard any arguments against it

discuss

It's not the one. I chose to work on Sundays instead of Saturdays purely because I only have to deal with customers for 5 hours. There is no way I want to deal with them more on what should be a day of rest.

• Upvote 1

on a day of rest i like to buy assorted goods to aid my restfulness

if youre not having a full day of rest whats a couple more hours to JC

sure theres many out there willing to work full days on sundays given the largely atheist/ non christian workforce. just get 7th day adventists to work sundays or whatever

im in favour of 24 hr everything full stop f*ck it

I like the idea of it but certain people will get bullied into working 7 day weeks or 8 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday should always be a day you can go church if you want and/or spend more time with family.

This is why even if you are not religious it isn't good.

people will get bullied into working 7 day weeks or 8 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday should always be a day you can go church if you want and/or spend more time with family.

Generally people that don't work in retail are the ones that don't understand why it's good to have a restriction on the amount of hours trading can take place on Sunday.

Because in a retail place where I work for example, they could give me a shift until 10pm and then give me a monday shift starting at like 9pm. I shouldn't have to deal with customers in far larger volumes because it's not a general working week and in our store Sunday is the busiest day, and then still have to deal with hoards of people on what is the normal working week with little rest in between.

I say get rid of it.

We're supposed to be a free market economy and we're supposed to be a superpower, but I can't go Tescos to get bog roll after 5pm on a Sunday.

f*ck off.

free market economy with limits, certainly not a superpower. this aint 1812 caz