Gylfi Sigurdsson The New Lampard?

Mame Biram Diouf

Gylfi-Sigurdsson-Swansea.jpg

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers will be disappointed to hear Babbel's comments, as he had been hoping to retain Sigurdsson's services, but he has been quick to praise the youngster's efforts during his time in South Walesspacer.gif and believes he is destined for the very top.

The Northern Irishman, who worked as a youth and reserve team coach at Chelseaspacer.gif under Jose Mourinho,spacer.gif said: "He has been a wonderful acquisition, I knew what I was getting and he has delivered brilliantly and hopefully he can continue that until the end of the season.

"He is in the Frank Lampard mould, he gets into the six-yard box, is willing to get his shot off with his left or right foot and can score with his head like he did at Fulham.spacer.gif

"He is a goalscoring midfield player and you don't get too many of those. But he has that instinct, he was born with it and he works very hard on his shooting and finishing.

"He is still very young but he is a player who can do well at this level, as he has shown. He has the same hunger as Frank, who wanted to be better every single day."

Hoffenheim coach Markus Babbel is expecting Gylfi Sigurdsson to head back to Germany from Swansea over the summer, with a clean slate awaiting him.

He told Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung: "Gylfi is under contract at this club for next season. He will come back and train with us.

"It is difficult for me to jump on a plane and visit him in Swansea due to time restrictions.

"He is playing in a different team and a different competition and you cannot compare the Premier League with the Bundesliga.

"He has already shown during his time here that he is a good passer of the ball and that he can score goals. I am keen to get to know him, and that is why I want him back.

"The fact is that he is under contract here and he will start the new season at this club."

Remember anelka saying it the other day too, having a goal scoring midfielder + being able to play ball is a very good asset to have.

Surely a bigger club will go sniffing in the summer and force Hoffienhiem to sell, guy is made for the premier league

What level do you think he could play at right now and what sort of fee do you think he would command?

Most teams in this league seem to be lacking a goalscoring midfielder right now

• Downvote 2

ARSENE WENGER is lining up a shock summer move for Swansea goal ace Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Arsenal manager Wenger has sounded out the 22-year-old’s former Reading boss Brian McDermott about the Icelandic star.

The midfielder has earned rave reviews since moving to the Swans on loan from Hoffenheim. He has scored six goals in 11 Premier League matches.

McDermott said: “I spoke to Arsene about him and you could not tell me he could not play for Arsenal.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Started very poorly. His movement has dissapointed me the most so far, been so many occasions where he has just stood still and watched the game pass him by.

VDV was so good :(