After Graduating

PopT

Got a 2:1, kinda annoyed coz it would have been a first were it not for my tutor feeding me a load of incorrect sh*t for my dissertation, but I was aiming for a 2:1 so I'm happy. Gonna do my own thing tho, not looking to work for anyone else.

• Upvote 3

tramlines isittt

u go hallam or posh?

yh im considerin movin back to shef

been back a yr now, i'm 15 again

Sheffield Uni!

Yeah, not looking to stick around long and if I do, I'm hoping to find a girl with her own place in London soon so I don't have too long knocking about in the house

Whats this freelancing that supermalt and faze are on about

dunno what this is in ref to but i was probably talking bout design.

fuck freelancing full time tho now, not for me.

• 1 year later...

International business degree, now working at an ad agency. f*ck it for a career though, sh*t aint for me.

It was always advertising/marketing or financials, I'm currently looking for a job in the latter.

Had a few close calls with 'dream jobs' - was offered a role at a marketing firm in Australia but for a variety of reasons I couldn't take it up & also came very close for working on the marketing team at Nike Football

A mate of mines had a bit of luck with Warner Bros in LA btw, fresh outta Uni an now has an interview for their marketing team with no experience - they have a lot of job pops on their site for the LA, NY, London & Chicago offices apparently for anyone interested

whats the cons about working at an ad agency

thinking about making that my next jump

Don't get me wrong, its a great industry to live in and the experience/contacts available probably outweigh those found in other industries but its just not for me.

If you're client facing then its too much p*ssy footing around and never straight to the point which pisses me off and jet makes most processes too long winded. Theres ALOT of pretentiousness about too annoys me & then finally the work some times (and we've got pretty big clients) can become tedious. The pros though are that most agencies I've experienced are incredibly relaxed and are very flexible with how you work & influence you to not over-focus on work (a lot have schemes were you can claim back footy, cinema, theatre, gig etc tickets as 'inspiration' and just claim it on the business). Theres a lot of client/media owner parties which are always a laugh/include free sh*t so it is fun and the work can be incredible but its just the kind of people who work within the industry thats slowly making me turn away & thats the big problem as its so socially orientated.

Its an odd one with most people I speak to cause it really is either love or hate. I'm more straight to the point/cut throat when it comes to work so isn't very adaptable in most aspects of the ad world

lol i eventually made the jump into this, been about a year. everything above is so on point.

I'm probably gunna get a dead job until I find my feet / realise what kind of career I want.

Applied to a couple places for unpaid work and I'll see how that turns out.

:lol: unpaid work, what a c*nt.

Landed a decent job, been there 13 months. 

My pay isn't where I'd like it to be, but I'm looking at it as a stepping stone.

• Upvote 2

Hows it going for everyone now?

im smashing it, stupidly

absolutely miserable tho

i sort of enjoy doing what i do but forgot how to enjoy anything else

i hate everyone, including u, and myself

constant ringing in my ears

ready to go out with a bang

Local before you're ready to pull that trigger sell me a stake in ur ltd.

/

Had my ups, ups then downs and now up again working my dream job, I'm literally buzzing off life.

In brief this is my second role since graduating in July 2012. I spent 10 months in property management, had a big fall out with employers and left.

4 months unemployed I signed on, worked on my business and applied to a lot of asset management companies but failed 2 big interviews 1 by such a fine margin so close to success, in this time I also created my 'moving on up' persona as a means of reinforcing my impending success even in spite of this hard time.

In October I applied to an internship I thought was beneath me, 2 months later I am an Operations Analyst at a property development company and shall be recruiting an intern for the very job I was doing in October to build my own sub-team in a company which will boom in the next 3 years.

God is gracious, he's been disproportionately blessing me from way, way back I must say.

International business degree, now working at an ad agency. f*ck it for a career though, sh*t aint for me.

It was always advertising/marketing or financials, I'm currently looking for a job in the latter.

Had a few close calls with 'dream jobs' - was offered a role at a marketing firm in Australia but for a variety of reasons I couldn't take it up & also came very close for working on the marketing team at Nike Football

A mate of mines had a bit of luck with Warner Bros in LA btw, fresh outta Uni an now has an interview for their marketing team with no experience - they have a lot of job pops on their site for the LA, NY, London & Chicago offices apparently for anyone interested

whats the cons about working at an ad agency

thinking about making that my next jump

Don't get me wrong, its a great industry to live in and the experience/contacts available probably outweigh those found in other industries but its just not for me.

If you're client facing then its too much p*ssy footing around and never straight to the point which pisses me off and jet makes most processes too long winded. Theres ALOT of pretentiousness about too annoys me & then finally the work some times (and we've got pretty big clients) can become tedious. The pros though are that most agencies I've experienced are incredibly relaxed and are very flexible with how you work & influence you to not over-focus on work (a lot have schemes were you can claim back footy, cinema, theatre, gig etc tickets as 'inspiration' and just claim it on the business). Theres a lot of client/media owner parties which are always a laugh/include free sh*t so it is fun and the work can be incredible but its just the kind of people who work within the industry thats slowly making me turn away & thats the big problem as its so socially orientated.

Its an odd one with most people I speak to cause it really is either love or hate. I'm more straight to the point/cut throat when it comes to work so isn't very adaptable in most aspects of the ad world

lol i eventually made the jump into this, been about a year. everything above is so on point.

:lol: Enjoying it though? What area you working in?

/

Looking back on my first post; I've achieved what I set out to do, work in finance, now in IB as an analyst