Olivier Giroud?

PascalMoriarty

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger tracks Montpellier forward Olivier Giroud

Arsène Wenger has asked for regular scouting reports on Montpellier forward Olivier Giroud as he prepares for a summer overhaul of his strike-force.

"An £11.9 million deal for Germany striker Lukas Podolski has already been agreed and Arsenal remain confident of keeping Robin van Persie, but Wenger is still also hoping to recruit at least one other forward this summer.

Blackburn's Junior Hoilett is also on his radar but it has emerged that he has instructed Giles Grimandi, his chief scout in France, to carefully monitor Giroud for the rest of the season.

At 6ft 3in tall and around 14 stone, Giroud would certainly provide a powerful physical presence and a different sort of option to Van Persie.

The 25 year-old has been central to Montpellier’s push for the French League title this season and, with 18 goals, is the leading scorer in France.

Although clearly strong in the air, the improvement in Giroud’s all-round game has also been rewarded this season with a call-up to Laurent Blanc’s France squad."

When I first caught wind that the Podolski deal was all but done, I thought "good" a back up striker who's also accomplished in playing wide roles, he's a god-send. But reading this about Giroud makes me wonder if RVP might start playing the role Bergkamp did just in the hole behind the striker. When they asked the Chairman of Montpellier in January about Giroud's pricetag, when there was rumour of interest from Newcastle, he said 40 million which almost guarantees we wont get him, still could be a good signing for us.

My point is though, what the hell is going to happen with our forward situation. Podolski and RVP great, what happens to Chamakh, Park and Vela, will Campbell get a work permit? Will Afobe ever surface?

• 2 months later...