Carles Puyol slams Liverpool

Fighting Weight

Comedian Alan Davies has caused controversy on Twitter for his comments about Liverpool FC refusing to play on the anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy.

alan_davies_bigger.jpg

"Liverpool and the 15th - that gets on my t*ts that s**t," he ranted. "What are you talking about, 'We won't play on the day?' Why can't they?

"Do they play on the date of the Heysel Stadium disaster? How many dates do they not play on?

"Do Man United play on the date of Munich? Do Rangers play on the date when all their fans died in that disaster whatever year that was - 1971?"

The QI star added: "I understand - Hillsborough is the most awful thing that's happened in my life in terms of football. It's one of the worst tragedies in English peacetime history but it's ridiculous this, 'We refuse to play football on this day anymore'."

Anne Williams, whose 15-year-old son Kevin died in the tragedy, told The Mirror: "Alan Davies is wrong. April 15 is a day to remember the 96 fans who lost their lives.

"He should speak to the families of the victims to realise what happened that day. They went to a football match and never came home.

"None of the families have had justice yet and this is just like rubbing salt into the wounds."

Ex-Liverpool footballer Stan Collymore responded on Twitter, posting: "United,Rangers,Juventus,Liverpool,Bradford and many more. I respect their right to commemorate their clubs by not playing on those dates. Doesn't matter who chooses to play or not to play. That is THEIR choice."

Laying into manager Kenny Dalglish, Davies went on: "Every interview he's given this season he looks like he wants to headbutt the interviewer.

"This tight-mouthed, furious, frowning, leaning forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting, 'Liverpool FC do not play on April 15th'."

Guest petercrotch

Liverpool play Everton in the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday, April 14 rather than April 15, the date in 1989 when 96 Reds fans were crushed to death.

"Liverpool and the 15th - that gets on my t*ts that s**t," he ranted. "What are you talking about, 'We won't play on the day?' Why can't they?

"Do they play on the date of the Heysel Stadium disaster? How many dates do they not play on?

"Do Man United play on the date of Munich? Do Rangers play on the date when all their fans died in that disaster whatever year that was - 1971?"

The QI star added: "I understand - Hillsborough is the most awful thing that's happened in my life in terms of football. It's one of the worst tragedies in English peacetime history but it's ridiculous this, 'We refuse to play football on this day anymore'."

Listen to Alan Davies's comments on his Tuesday Club podcast below:

Anne Williams, whose 15-year-old son Kevin died in the tragedy, told The Mirror: "Alan Davies is wrong. April 15 is a day to remember the 96 fans who lost their lives.

"He should speak to the families of the victims to realise what happened that day. They went to a football match and never came home.

"None of the families have had justice yet and this is just like rubbing salt into the wounds."

Ex-Liverpool footballer Stan Collymore posted on Twitter, posting: "United,Rangers,Juventus,Liverpool,Bradf ord and many more. I respect their right to commemorate their clubs by not playing on those dates. Doesn't matter who chooses to play or not to play. That is THEIR choice."

Laying into manager Kenny Dalglish, Davies went on: "Every interview he's given this season he looks like he wants to headbutt the interviewer.

"This tight-mouthed, furious, frowning, leaning forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting, 'Liverpool FC do not play on April 15th'."

• Downvote 5

Guest petercrotch

Same old victimpool . Always want to be seen as the victims . Blaming everyone else but themselves .

First it was the police , Then it was the sun .

With suarez it was evra .

With heysel it was juventus .

Silly scousers need to realise that the world does not revolve around them .

• Downvote 2

If Liverpool were insisting that normal life stops for a day and all football in the country cease, then fair enough,

All they're asking for is that the FA respect their request to be able to hold a memorial at Anfield at that day instead of playing a game,

Well within their rights to do so and completely reasonable,

This whole thing about the FA should be helping Chelsea out?

1, From when Chelsea want to keep up challenges in multiple competitions then fixture congestion is expected, (have a look back at the treble season to see that.

2. From when Wembly needs to be paid off, that's the main priority,

3. Even more important than the Wembly 'mortgage/albatros' TV. Is God so even if they played the semi's elsewhere, one game would probably be played on each day of the weekend.

I don't get Davies' all out ranting on the issue, like this is a new thing.

The whole comparing it to Munich thing is air too, because if United turned round one year and said to the FA "we don't want to play on that date as we won't to do a memorial service, The FA/premier league would comply, but we don't ask for it.

The Hillsborough issue is still a ongoing one and so is still pretty fresh in a lot of people minds,

If people took a minute to actual sit down and think about what happened on that day, any person of reasonable and sane mind would not be objecting to Liverpool not wanting to play on that day.

As I said earlier there's a lit that can be said about the way Liverpool deal with things/tragedies in their history and sone of the hypocrisy that goes on, but it does not detract from the fact that they should have the right to not want to play on that day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1