Louis Theroux - Extreme Love, Dementia - Ep2 26th April

MrJibbles

We're so pleased to see such a wonderful response to Louis' "Extreme Love: Autism" documentary, which aired last week.

The series continues this Thursday (26th April) at 9pm on BBC 2 with "Extreme Love: Dementia"...

As one of the big retirement destinations for middle class Americans, Phoenix, Arizona has also become a capital of dementia care. Louis visits the city in order to spend time in Beatitudes, a state-of-the-art care home, and with home-based carers whose love is tested by a condition that steadily erodes the personality and character of their partners.

At Beatitudes Louis meets Gary, a 69-year-old patient who thinks he is serving in the military and that it is his job to check the state of everyone's teeth. Louis submits to a dental check-up, is introduced to two of Gary's new resident girlfriends and spends time with Gary's wife of 20 years, Carla – a woman whom Gary robustly denies ever having married.

In a suburban Phoenix bungalow Louis agrees to become carer-for-a-day to Nancy, an ex-New York model with a personality to match. He finds a woman who can no longer remember her way through a complete sentence, but also a husband who finds much to love in the glimpses of personality that still sparkle through the dementia.

- Rach from Louis Theroux's office

Just got around to watching both and my goodness these were good pieces of work by Louis, rarely fails and lately has tackled some really interesting subjects.

During the dementia episode there was one scene he just looked shocked more than I've properly seen him in any other his filmed. To me it really is a sad way to go and seeing the ones who had reached the most advanced stage was just sad.

Just watched that autism one last night and it reminded me we had a dude in school who was autistic.

He got bullied the hell out of, they really shouldn't of put him in a mainstream school. One day in year 11 he just snapped and beat up this kid(he was a big f*cker).

I see a lot of autistic people on a day to day basis and never realised this was there condition. Why do a lot of them seem camp?