Jay-Z Vs. Nas - Album for album

Fresh To Death

imo blueprint and stillmatic are both on par wid eachother . But the only thing is jayz had the hype around the album at the time . he was doing his thing with rocafellla who at the time were making hits ... dipset,young gunz,siegel,freeway etc but those two albums are equal .

/

regarding albums nas takes it by little . people like to say nas makes a lot of sh*t but jayz also makes a lot lf sh*t . blue print 3 average,watch the throne , was not even hiphop . last album same as watch the throne ...

Thats false. Nas actually had more hype based on ether. 

The dipset movement came into full effect after the  Late 02. Way after Cams Rocafella debut.

people that prefer jay-z are generally more materialistic / simpletons that follow the mainstream media

And most fans that like Nas are backpackers/ Hip-hop Purists

Both Albums were great for hiphop and are worthy hiphop golden classics.

But in terms of making records. Jay makes better records and has the better Library

Each to their own.

• Downvote 1

How can you say Jay has a better catalogue.

two of his last 3 albums have been smack bang average.

His lyricism as fell off as well, his decline has been far worse than Nas.

Nas last album was Life Is Good, Jay's last was Magna Carta that says it all about where they are now in their respective careers.

• Upvote 2

It was closer 10 years ago, but then Jay went on to release Magna Carta, BP3, and Kingdom Come all mediocre average albums, and in fact he admits to this himself in regards to Kingdom Comes quality.

Look  both artists will never make a classic album of the calibre they ever did in their prime again. 

In this current rap climate Hov will always be the adaptable Artist

Nas archiles heel for me has always been his beat selection and making hit records. 

He is the better lyricist without a shadow a doubt. 

BP > Stillmatic

Ether > Takeover. 

If I had a choice to see one of the artist perform hits back to back. I know which one I am choosing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Making 

It was closer 10 years ago, but then Jay went on to release Magna Carta, BP3, and Kingdom Come all mediocre average albums, and in fact he admits to this himself in regards to Kingdom Comes quality.

Look  both artists will never make a classic album of the calibre they ever did in their prime again. 

In this current rap climate Hov will always be the adaptable Artist

Nas archiles heel for me has always been his beat selection and making hit records. 

He is the better lyricist without a shadow a doubt. 

BP > Stillmatic

Ether > Takeover. 

If I had a choice to see one of the artist perform hits back to back. I know which one I am choosing. 

How can making hit records be an achilles heel?

What hit records did Reasonable Doubt or Illmatic have, two of their best albums?

I don't care about 'hit records' i care about good music, rap has always been anti establishment from its design., Jay Z hasn't lost the ability to make hit records but the quality of music has gone worse which is my point.

Nas had one of his biggest hits with If I Ruled The World, by putting a mainstream RnB singer on the hook, Jay got his biggest hit doing the same with Alicia Keys, how much is that down to the rappers themselves, when its pretty obvious, both records were actually made hit records by the singers who wrote and sung on the hook, i'm sure if Nas cared about hit records as much as Jay does he could have tried to recreate that formula a good few times.

• Downvote 1

seen a coupla interviews where peeps that were around them both say jay deserves props cos hes always had a 'good ear' for what is a hit which isnt really what nas is about 

nas has always had that 'conscious' angle,but in the good sense of what it means to be a conscious rapper like how ppl like blackstar did it

realistically tho how long can these guys make 'authentic' rap... cassidy n juicy j said similar stuff on bc interviews abt soon needing to find new angles becos theyre grown men, juicy j was even talking about wanting to run a major. more of these guys need to take the russell simmons route and leave di mic aloowne, its why i rate wiley thinking abt tryna start his own major regardless of whether it works / even happens

Illmatic (1994) >>> Reasonable Doubt (1996)

It Was Written (1996) >>> In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997)

I Am... (1999) >>> Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998)

Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) >>> Nastradamus (1999)

Stillmatic (2001) >>> The Blueprint (2001)

God's Son (2002) >>> The Blueprint2: The Gift & The Curse (2002)

The Black Album (2003) >>> Street's Disciple (2004)

Hip Hop Is Dead (2006) >>> Kingdom Come (2006)

American Gangster (2007) >>> Untitled (2008)

What do you think?

And

Life is Good > Blueprint 3/MCHG 

Illmatic (1994) >>> Reasonable Doubt (1996)

It Was Written (1996) >>> In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997)

I Am... (1999) >>> Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998)

Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) >>> Nastradamus (1999)

Stillmatic (2001) >>> The Blueprint (2001)

God's Son (2002) >>> The Blueprint2: The Gift & The Curse (2002)

The Black Album (2003) >>> Street's Disciple (2004)

Hip Hop Is Dead (2006) >>> Kingdom Come (2006)

American Gangster (2007) >>> Untitled (2008)

What do you think?

And

Life is Good > Blueprint 3/MCHG 

And

Distant relatives > Watch the throne