Computer question

fred

FAO Computer experts

If you can help me i would be very grateful

Do you know what a MAC address is and do you know anything about changing it? (or 'spoofing'?)

Is it illegal? If you change it does it mean you could be using someone elses internet connection?

Is the only legal option to buy a new router/modem or can you call your ISP and get them to change it?

Would greatly appreciate if you took time out to answer these questions

/

If this needs a lock please tell me the reason so I can learn from my mistake

Thanks all

MAC address is attached to your network card, so if you want to change it you would need to replace your card.

you would normally spoof your address to 00:11:22:33:44 if your trying to gain access to an encrypted network, that way if enquires are made from the MAC address, they can't match it up to an ISP associated with it.

I have spoofed using Backtrack to crack WEP encryption, but this was for educational purposes.

will sort it right out mayteeeeee

/

yeah on further investigation the legality of this seems very sketchy so im gonna leave it

i actually didnt want to use it for any dishonesty or deception, it was suggested as a solution to a technical problem i had but i just dont know enough about it