Steve Bould - Our new number 2

Lenny

• 3 weeks later...
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to confirm that Steve Bould and Neil Banfield will be joining the first-team staff after Pat Rice’s departure at the end of the season.

Bould will become the Club’s new Assistant Manager, moving from his position as the Club’s Under-18 Academy Coach, with former Reserve Team Coach Banfield becoming First Team Coach.

Bould, who made 372 appearances for Arsenal during his playing career and won seven major honours with the Club, has been coaching Arsenal’s young players since 2001. During his time as a youth coach, the 49-year-old has presided over considerable success, winning consecutive FA Academy Premier League titles in 2009 and 2010, along with an FA Youth Cup triumph in 2009.

Banfield has been a coach at Arsenal for nearly 15 years, eight of which have been spent as Reserve Team Coach. He also spent a number of years working in the Arsenal Academy, during which time the Club won two FA Youth Cups, a national Academy Under-17 league title and a regional Under-19 title. Before joining Arsenal, Banfield was a coach at Charlton Athletic. As a player he was a centre back at Crystal Palace, Adelaide City and Leyton Orient.

Arsène Wenger said: “I have always felt it is important to have people around who understand what this great Club is all about. With Steve and Neil joining the first-team staff, it ensures we carry forward our traditions and approach in a consistent way. I am looking forward to working closely with Steve and Neil and wish them every success.”

The recruitment process for Bould and Banfield’s previous roles at the Club is now underway and announcements on the new appointments will be made in due course.

Steve Bould admits he faces a tough task replacing Pat Rice as assistant manager - but insists he will mould the role into his own.

Bould has been confirmed as Arsène Wenger’s new No 2 following Rice’s retirement this summer after 44 years at the Club.

The former Arsenal centre back is relishing his new challenge after coaching the Club’s rising stars since 2001, and concedes it was one he simply could not refuse.

“It is more than excitement, it is an absolute privilege and an honour,” Bould told Arsenal Player. “I know I have some big boots to fill with Pat having spent 44 years at the Club and that is going to be the hard part.

“Pat has wished me all the best. I have not spoken to him too much about the job. I want to try and do it my way, whichever way that is. I will be learning on the job a little bit but myself and Neil Banfield are more than excited.”

At London Colney they say the stretch of corridor between the youth and first-team dressing rooms are the hardest steps of any player’s career - but Bould hopes his previous experiences will make the transition smoother.

“I hope it's not the toughest!” said the 49-year-old. “It's certainly hard walking those 30 yards and that is part of the process we want our kids to go along.

“We are delighted when they do it and I am delighted that I am doing it. We'll see how tough it will be - I am sure it will be - but I hope it's not that tough!”

Steve Bould believes the promotions of him and Neil Banfield into the first-team coaching set-up shows how strong the Club is at youth level.

The 49-year-old has been praised for the superb job he has done in charge of Arsenal’s Under-18s, while Banfield has gained a impressive reputation for the work he has done with the Reserves.

Bould - who has been appointed assistant manager, with Banfield the new first-team coach - says their rise through the ranks demonstrates the value of continuity.

“It shows you that the youth set-up is right if the coaching staff who have been through [the Club] are deemed good enough to work with the first-team players. I think that's the way it should be,” he told Arsenal Player.

Despite being as one of the key pillars of Arsenal’s famous back four during the George Graham era, Bould appreciates the Club’s focus on attacking football.

“There is a brand and philosophy that we have to play,” he said. “That is No 1 whether it is youth players, reserve players or first-team players.

“All of our kids have to be technically sound and able to play and that is the basis we all work off. First and foremost is the philosophy of the football club and the manager.”

Hopefully this will end our defensive woes.

Pat Rice was on retirement leave for the last 5 years and got paid nicely for sitting on his backside letting Wenger do all the work.

Like to see Bould come in and get stuck into a few of these characters by smashing up the dressing room at half time and throwing a few bottles at Chamakh's head possibly banning players from using the sauna after match and draining all the water from swimming pools and no hot water allowed, throw a few headbut fients at half time to Arshavin drag him to the toilet by his ear and lock him in etc

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

gun__1341509519_burton_terry.jpg

Terry Burton joins Arsenal's coaching staff

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to confirm Terry Burton as its new reserves and head development coach.

Burton joins Arsenal following Pat Rice’s departure as assistant manager at the end of the season, and the subsequent move of Steve Bould and Neil Banfield to the first-team coaching staff.

Born in Camden Town, north London, Burton has had previous spells with Arsenal, as both a youth player and coach.

Joining the Club as a schoolboy, Burton was an integral part of the Arsenal’s FA Youth Cup-winning side in 1971. He later joined the Gunners as a youth coach in 1979, and was instrumental in the hugely successful generation of players including Tony Adams, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Merson and Martin Keown. He was also a first-team coach during his time with the Club, notably working with Don Howe in the mid-1980s.

Following his initial spell as a coach with Arsenal, Burton forged a successful coaching career with Wimbledon, where he spent time as manager, and then with Watford, Cardiff City, West Bromwich Albion and most recently working as assistant manager at Sheffield Wednesday, helping guide the Yorkshire side to promotion into the Championship.

Burton will take charge of the Club’s reserves side, but will also head up the Arsenal team which is participating for the first time in next season’s NextGen Series, the elite European Under-19s competition.

Working closely with head of youth development Liam Brady, Burton will also influence coaching strategies across all of the Club’s youth development age groups.

Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted that Terry Burton is joining Arsenal. I have known Terry for many years and he is someone who is hugely respected and highly regarded in the game. Terry brings with him a wealth of coaching experience and he will be a great asset for us, working with our reserves and youth development players.”

New Arsenal coach, Terry Burton said: “I’m delighted and proud to be joining Arsenal as reserves and head development coach. Having started my career at Arsenal as a youth player, and then as a coach, I know the history, class and values of this great football club. I can’t wait to get started in my new role and to meet the players and my new colleagues.

Burton continued: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dave Jones and everyone at Sheffield Wednesday for their support and understanding. Wednesday is a great club and I leave behind many great friends. I wish everyone at Sheffield Wednesday the best of luck for next season.”

Burton joins the Club next week, in time for the start of the Club’s pre-season preparations.

Everyone at Arsenal welcomes Terry back to the Club.

• 1 month later...

Arsene Wenger is confident assistant boss Steve Bould can help shore up the Arsenal defence this season.

The Gunners have kicked off the season with three consecutive clean sheets and picked up their first win at Liverpool on Sunday with goals from summer signings Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla.

Arsenal skipper Thomas Vermaelen has already hailed Bould's influence since replacing Pat Rice as first-team coach in the summer and Wenger is encouraged by the instant impact.

Speaking at the UEFA elite club coaches forum in Nyon, Switzerland, the Arsenal manager said: "We have played two teams who didn't really attack, but he is doing a good job.

"We continue our training regime. He has taken over from Pat Rice for the defensive job where he is doing very well.

"Will we finish with the best defence in the league? I hope so."

Bould was part of Arsenal's famous defence that made an art form out of 1-0 wins.

Asked if this would mark a return to a negative style, Wenger said: "No, no, we want to score goals.

"But Steve Bould is doing very well and I am confident we [will] have a good defensive record at the end of the season."