Ruud Van Nistlerooy rerites

O Fenomeno

Van Nistelrooy: Feels time is right

Former Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has announced his retirement at the age of 35 after a difficult season at Malaga.

Van Nistelrooy scored just five times in 32 appearances for Malaga following his move from Hamburg last summer.

However, the former Holland international did help guide Malaga to their first ever top-four finish and thereby ensure Champions League football for the first time in their history.

Van Nistelrooy told a press conference on Sunday: "Yesterday was my final game as a professional footballer. I wanted to play in the Champions League, but it is the moment to leave.

"I have arrived at my physical limit and I can't play at the maximum level. I couldn't have had a better send-off than this.

"I feel happy that I am the one taking this decision. I would like to thank Malaga, the technical and medical staff for an unforgettable year.

"I am proud to have won collective and individual titles, but my greatest satisfaction was to be able to work day after day, year after year."

Van Nistelrooy also paid tribute to those people who supported him during his career, which included spells with PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

"I would like to thank Malaga, my team-mates, the coaches, the physios, (sporting director) Antonio Fernandez, Fernando Hierro and the fans for this unforgettable year," said the Dutchman.

"I would also like to thank the fans of Den Bosch, Heerenveen, PSV, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Hamburg."

Van Nistelrooy's career began in his homeland with Den Bosch before moves to Heerenveen and PSV Eindhoven, where he made his name.

After securing the Eredivisie Golden Boot in both the 1998/99 and 1999/2000 seasons, he seemed set to join Manchester United in a near £19 million move.

However, United called off the transfer due to fitness concerns and within days Van Nistelrooy ruptured cruciate knee ligaments during a training session.

That injury did not dissuade United manager Sir Alex Ferguson though, as he went back for Van Nistelrooy the following summer and was duly rewarded as the striker delivered 150 goals in 219 games in his five seasons in Manchester and guided them to the title in 2002/03.

However, Van Nistelrooy's time in north-west England ended when he fell down the pecking order and was snapped up by Real Madrid in the summer of 2006.

He hit the ground running in the Spanish capital as 53 goals in two seasons saw Real capture back-to-back Primera Division titles.

But once again injuries took their toll as he missed almost the entire 2008/09 campaign with a meniscus problem and then found himself behind Raul, Gonzalo Higuain and Karim Benzema the following season.

An 18-month spell at Hamburg followed before returning to Spain and Malaga for his final season as a professional.

Van Nistelrooy also bagged 35 goals in 70 international appearances for Holland, including strikes at Euro 2004, World Cup 2006 and Euro 2008 and is the second highest all-time goalscorer in the Champions League with 54 from 81 appearances.

His final appearance for Malaga resulted in a 1-0 victory over Sporting Gijon.

never a fan

good first 2 seasons

05/06 season just summed the guy up

top c*nt

• Upvote 1

Tbf by the time Saha was there Saha should have been starting over him, Ruud was far too immobile and lacked versatility in the new United side that was evolving with the times, the same reason he was phased out kind of makes me wonder why Ferguson bought Hernandez

Anyway guy is one of the goat poachers, his tekkers, movement, touch, workaround the penalty area were all top top top notch, he was also a potent header of the ball