Met Police to Take all Mobile Data from ALL Suspects

Sinister

Met Police to extract suspects' mobile phone data

_60312826_60297841.jpg

The Metropolitan Police has implemented a system to extract mobile phone data from suspects held in custody.

The data includes call history, texts and contacts, and the BBC has learned that it will be retained regardless of whether any charges are brought.

The technology is being used in 16 London boroughs, and could potentially be used by police across the UK.

Campaign group Privacy International described the move as a "possible breach of human rights law".

Until now, officers had to send mobiles off for forensic examination in order to gather and store data, a process which took several weeks.

Under the new system, content will be extracted using purpose built terminals in police stations.

It will allow officers to connect a suspect's mobile and produce a print out of data from the device, as well as saving digital records of the content.

A Met Police spokesman told the BBC that when a suspect was released, "data received from the handsets is retained and handled in accordance with other data held by the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service]" - regardless of whether charges had been brought.

Guidelines given to officers state that data extraction can happen only if there is sufficient suspicion the mobile phone was used for criminal activity.

"Mobile phones and other devices are increasingly being used in all levels of criminal activity," said Stephen Kavanagh, Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service.

"When a suspect is arrested and found with a mobile phone that we suspect may have been used in crime, traditionally we submit it to our digital forensic laboratory for analysis.

"Therefore, a solution located within the boroughs that enables trained officers to examine devices and gives immediate access to the data in that handset is welcomed."

'Illegal'

Over 300 London officers will be trained in using the "intuitive, fully-guided touchscreen desktop data acquisition tool", created by mobile forensic firm Radio Tactics.

The cost of leasing the 16 terminals for 12 months and training the officers will be £50,000, the Met said.

"We are looking at a possible breach of human rights law," spokeswoman Emma Draper told the BBC.Privacy International has expressed serious concern over the system.

"It is illegal to indefinitely retain the DNA profiles of individuals after they are acquitted or released without charge, and the communications, photos and location data contained in most people's smartphones is at least as valuable and as personal as DNA."

Ms Draper added that while the Met's current plans were limited to fixed extraction terminals in stations, portable technology was readily available.

"Examining suspects' mobile phones after they are arrested is one thing, but if this technology was to be taken out onto the streets and used in stop-and-searches, that would be a significant and disturbing expansion of police powers."

Fully taking the piss, don't matter if you just get picked up, means they can take your phone on the spot and download your shit.

Up until now they had to send away to forensics who had clear guidelines for what they could and couldn't take.

Would also like to point out that I think it's within the Police's right to know if you're connected to a criminal person whether that's through family ties or recreational activity and think how many people who have drug dealers in their phonebooks; who if rightfully caught in due time could lead to further leads for example; a small weed user has lost his main supply of weed, through tracking these numbers it may be possible to allocate further dealers in the environment that have been going under the radar.

Fully taking the piss, don't matter if you just get picked up, means they can take your phone on the spot and download your shit.

Up until now they had to send away to forensics who had clear guidelines for what they could and couldn't take.

Once they send you're phone to LGC forensics they take what they please don't mistakenly think there are rules or guidelines for what they can and can't take once they have your shit they can take anything they see fit

I actually thought they already did this f*ckery ting tbh.

Last year sometime I got a phone call from Trident on my then girl now wife's mobile and they subsequently asked me to come in for questioning. During questioning they showed me numbers that have called me & that I've called which involved a murder so essentially linking everyone that had telecommunication contact with the deceased.

Fast forward the cunts tried to do me along with some of my dons under joint enterprise even though they had a main suspect which they told me had fled the country. They knew I & others were nowhere near the scene. They knew I only knew the deceased in the ''associate'' capacity and rarely did have contact with him anyway.

Police abusing their powers is already bad as it is, this system is going to be PEAK differently.

Destroying pin 3 and 4 on the micro usb connector on your phone will make it a charging only port.

Police will be puzzeled as to why they can't extract the data.

I'm sure they'd have devices that can access the phone data in other ways even if you did the above.

No they wouldn't. If you sent your phone in for repair with a faulty connector, they would just send you out a new one as it would be uneconomical to repair.

I doubt the police will go to such lengths to get a phone engineer to re-solder a new usb connector just for the sake of obtaining information of a potential suspect in custody. Who would foot the bill?

No they wouldn't. If you sent your phone in for repair with a faulty connector, they would just send you out a new one as it would be uneconomical to repair.

I doubt the police will go to such lengths to get a phone engineer to re-solder a new usb connector just for the sake of obtaining information of a potential suspect in custody. Who would foot the bill?

Us...

• Upvote 1

I haven't got anything to hide, couldn't care less.

Domestic abuse, rape, pedos, cooking up drugs etc could all be decreased if everyone had cameras in every room in their house

You mind brah?

Seeing as you have nothing to hide and that

Are you retarded? What kind of an example was that.

Couldn't care less if PC Plod wants to look and see what colour thong Janice told me she was wearing last week.

• Downvote 4

Domestic abuse, rape, pedos, cooking up drugs etc could all be decreased if everyone had cameras in every room in their house

You mind brah?

Couldn't care less if PC Plod wants to look and see what colour thong Janice told me she was wearing last week.

Its about stopping crime and people having nothing to hide via private property

Are YOU retarded?

• Upvote 1

I was actually thinking they'd put the phone in another device/take out the part where the data is held eliminating the need to use the port.

Lol I know it's stretching the possibilities of them doing it all the time on every day arrests but I'm just thinking how tech forensic ppl extract data off phones when they are badly damaged.

You mind brah?

Are YOU retarded?

You're trying to compare a mobile phone to the privacy of ones home, is that what you're actually doing?

You mind brah?

Are YOU retarded?

You're trying to compare a mobile phone to the privacy of ones home, is that what you're actually doing?

No im comparing humans rights to privacy to humans rights to privacy

• Upvote 8