Family Rivalry

Do any of you have experience of this?

My mum and her sister it seems are always trying to outdo each other with regards to their kids.

I'll be honest it isn't so much my mum but my auntie is a complete pain in the ass.

Me and my cousin are born a month apart and we went to the same school, she wasn't in my league intellectually, I was in all top sets, she was in most of the lower sets but my auntie still used to try and compare us for some stupid reason or try and get 1 over whenever there was a chance.

She seemed to do the same to my 2 younger sisters, 1 did her GCSE's 4 years ago the youngest 2 years ago and they both did well but the youngest did extremely well but even then my auntie and her hating ass ex husband she has 2 further kids with tried to put a spin on it which I won't go into right now.

He shut up when he saw my sister was top 10 in the year for her results on the school website.

But the energy with them is always negative, to the point I can't stand be anywhere near them and avoid places or family shit I know they will be at.

I used to get compared negatively to my younger sister. I'm slightly better academically but the difference between us is she listens to authority and does as she's told. I was never like that. Was forever getting told one day taking x for granted is going to catch up with you. The thing is I know when it's time to grind and when it's important I'll get locked in. Forever used to piss off teachers and my parents. My dad just let's me get on with things now because he knows I can handle it.

No family rivalry issues in my family.

All achievements are just used as tools to encourage the rest of the family to do better. From as far back as I can remember, any achievement of any kind has never been used as a negative.

However, when it comes to outsiders then the gloves have always been off :lol:

When my auntie starts bragging>>>>>>>_____

tbh, I was the golden child as much as I didn't want to be. Excelled in music, sports and academics. All the kids on my mothers side were the same, Dad's weren't soo lucky. Quite a few in pen, others with kids, some just existing nothing going on. Think alot of them disliked me for the comparisons that used to be drawn, I was the benchmark. In some ways it saddens me to think about it, means I was less close with certain cousins because of something entirely out of my own control. Don't know why families do it, but it in African households its actually intense. f*ck that, when I'm older any success in the family is my success by association, the only way family should really be.

• Upvote 1

I have a cousin who's two months younger than me, she's beautiful, tall with an athletic body (swimmer) and just so happens to be crazy smart.

I was always compared until they gave up and then I was just the 'fun' one.

My Mum doesn't do it but her sisters are always trying to get one up, stretching themselves to buy expensive bday/xmas gifts that their budget doesn't cater for and bragging about grades their kids got.

I have a cousin who's two months younger than me, she's beautiful, tall with an athletic body (swimmer) and just so happens to be crazy smart.

I was always compared until they gave up and then I was just the 'fun' one.

My Mum doesn't do it but her sisters are always trying to get one up, stretching themselves to buy expensive bday/xmas gifts that their budget doesn't cater for and bragging about grades their kids got.

That's it lol

I'm sure people remember that thread where I said my 2 younger cousins, 13 and 15 got brand New BB, IPad and Beats by Dre headphones.

Same parents.

My dad and his brother have had some different rivalry for as long as I can remember, both in the same line of business, live in same area always competing with stuff like who's yards better, whos shops busier, whos kids are better etc. Mums side always trying to get sympathy over whos worse off like its a competition. Pisses me off.

All this family rivalry is the reason why I tend to distance myself from certain cousins, aunts and uncles. Most the time you know which families are like this, theres always that one.