Are you proud to be British?

kerser

u cant walk around oblivious to how people interact with u whatever their colour

certain people here come across as very sheltered, britain is my home but when im viewed as a second class citizen by the powers that be how can i be proud?

also minorites that damn themselves to a medicore life because of 'the man' should realise just as their parents were brave enough to seek opportunities away from home so can they

Had a heightened sense of pride during the Jubilee celebrations but in general always been proud to be British. Proud about everything in this nations history, not so much about the misfortune put onto others but looking back the world was a different place back then and this country always punched above it's own weight so I am glad we are in the position we find ourselves in today.

Looking at M12's comment and knowing he is from Manchester it does make me wonder if that is just a mental insecurity kinda tip or experiences he has had. But I have a very close friend who is Mancunian in my eyes, born and raised here, no different from me or any other people I know nor has he ever stepped foot off British soil but he doesn't consider himself English/British but Ghanian. I've never heard him talk about or witness any kind of event that would make him not feel like he belonged here, it appears to be just a thought installed in his mind.

I'm not insecure about anything im just not naive. I call it as i see it around me. Dont get me wrong I have plenty of white friends and colleagues but even then sometimes things will slip that show the ingrained prejudice.

One random example from a couple weeks ago at work. One of my colleagues (black) comes in wearing a full suit and tie which is not normal for him. Someone made a comment as a joke you going to court today *cue normal banter about prison*. Which is fine beacuse thats the kinda relationship we all have we push the boundaries with the jokes. Same week one of the white guys comes in wearing a full suit same guy makes a similar comment "you think you're a barrister these days ey" again *cue normal banter*.

And even though it is only banter, thats the kind of thought process that most of Britain have, and I know they have it, but I dont cry about it. I just know whenever i enter a room ,am asked to do something or speak to someone I'm going to have prove myself more than other people would. It's life, just get on with it.

• Upvote 5

even though the responses let you know who' grew up where and how theres a point as well

anytime im asked where im 'originally' from im reply sumin like huddersfield or lancashire

Africans, carribs and Asians shouldnt feel like guests in the UK even if they are made to feel that way

your people's sweat and blood built this country and still does

that needs to be stuck in people's faces alot more then to act like you came to collect crumbs off the table

if you do that often enough, especially at work people will know how to joke with you and how not to

• Upvote 5

It's a weird thing as the british flag had such vile connotations that when I used to see it I immediately thought right wing d*ckhead.

I think we should be prouder of the flag. And it has slowly been dragged away from the racists and agitators. who've used it before.

The feeling of 'britishness' is something that I feel is a blessing in a lot of ways especially if you go elsewhere to work. Take something as simple as your passport how valuable is that? A UK passport is a very powerful thing.

But it can also be a sobering thing to remind yourself that even your own people in the 'homeland' can find you strange. I'm sure those of us who were born here can't help but feel the animosity sometimes when they go on holiday to where their parents/grandparents are from. Certain things are thought of you immediately when i've visited Jamaica. I was known as British Bwoy etc. People thought that I was rich and was being stush with my money.

No way would they let me forget that I was never actually brought up in Jamaica and I would always be an outsider. And you know what I'm happy I wasn't. As opportunities would have definitely been lacking for me there especially in what I'm doing now.

So on that side I'm proud to be british we should embrace it more. Our grandparents and Parents came over here to clean,work on the buses and do all sorts of shitty jobs to pave the way for us. We have more opportunities now than they ever dreamed of.

And I'll be taking mine thank you very much.

• Upvote 2

Swear the home office should deport you negative ones back to your sheg countries. 100% British I remember when I was in kos was a little trouble with the locals had to fend random skinheads got involved once they asked of we was from Britain and backed it against the flat heads. Try tell people in these third world countries you have come from you are one of them they will laugh in your face.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

certain people here come across as very sheltered, britain is my home but when im viewed as a second class citizen by the powers that be how can i be proud?

Aint that playing into there hands allowing them to make you think this way when it aint there country but ours

Its clear from certain posts who aint fully integrated and make themselves outsiders

• Upvote 3

lol @ saying u'll be considered an outsider in your original country

that might be the case at the start but after a while no one will be able to tell

Have u man clocked how all these white guys are talking about how the german team isn't german anymore

they mention ppl like ozil who's a third generation turk living in germany, if he isn't german how can those same

ppl consider me english, too much hypocrisy

• Upvote 1

Have any of you guys gone to the proms ? Royal ascot, England football or rugby union match ? Wimbledon or queens. Gone to a street party in celebration of the queen or ve day? Cheered people in in the great north run or London marathon. Gone to silverstone or grands hatch ? Was you ever treated diffrent because of your race? Have to agree with thun

Try tell people in these third world countries you have come from you are one of them they will laugh in your face.

Got the exact opposite actually; was told back when I was in Ghana, "no matter what part of the world you find yourself in THIS is your home."

• Upvote 1