Are you proud to be British?

kerser

Why do some people of African descent always look to the past and feel the world owes them something today... Them who were not even around in the 1970's let alone the 17/1800's. Think people seem to forget that England itself was raped and conquered many times but people don't sit talking about the Italians, Germans or French owing anything. Different times back then, live for today.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Why do some people of African descent always look to the past and feel the world owes them something today... Them who were not even around in the 1970's let alone the 17/1800's. Think people seem to forget that England itself was raped and conquered many times but people don't sit talking about the Italians, Germans or French owing anything. Different times back then, live for today.

da f*ck? the reprecussions of this rape, pillaging and colonialism is still felt in the African continent today; and while i don't speak for all africans, the wise ones never live for today, always tomorrow which is why you'll always see african children back home in their books.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

tumblr_loab0vBTdj1qj9e69.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Are you african?

Have you ever stepped on a piece of land and felt home, like truly at one with that land?

Manchester.

Certain times when i was at uni and stepped out the car or off the train. I knew I was home.

I've got love for the city

English/Irish - And I know Africa is not in a great state but I still disagree with people using it as a reason to dislike and separate themselves from their country of Birth.

Reading back to what M12 said about him not feeling British, when he goes work and people making comments etc.

Well for me I've always grown up seeing people born and raised here as English/British - But to start reading the views on here how individuals don't consider themselves proud British, that has a negative effect on what I've always believed. Some vicious circle.

Need reparation from Italy for what the Romans did to this land and the people

I've got "where u from?" my whole life, still to this day, if i say london, its like "na na what country u from, like originally?"

lol and when you answer where your from they say "na na like what ends?"

• Upvote 1

Culture is a commodity really, it's all coincidental

Pride in things like your race or your nationality or your post code or any of that sh*t is dumb

Having pride in something you didn't create/ have a say in choosing = retarded

I see your point but your forefathers graft helped create what this country is today so it is them you are really showing pride for, not a piece of land.

When you uphold tradition it is them you pay respect to, customs that have been kept alive for hundreds if not thousands of years is not coincidental.

I am proud to be Caribbean because my ancestors had to endure the harshest conditions for near on half a millennium.

There is a place in Grenada where my grandmother was born called Sauters, literally translates as "Jumpers" in French.

When the French invaded Grenada the defeated Native's took their women and children and jumped off a cliff as they didn't want their families having to endure the hardships and horrors of being slaves.

My ancestors endured this for hundreds of years and survived, taking that into account I consider it a miracle that I'm here today.

Being proud of my culture is paying homage to everything my ancestors went through for me to be here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Culture is a commodity really, it's all coincidental

Pride in things like your race or your nationality or your post code or any of that sh*t is dumb

Having pride in something you didn't create/ have a say in choosing = retarded

I see your point but your forefathers graft helped create what this country is today so it is them you are really showing pride for, not a piece of land.

When you uphold tradition it is them you pay respect to, customs that have been kept alive for hundreds if not thousands of years is not coincidental.

I am proud to be Caribbean because my ancestors had to endure the harshest conditions for near on half a millennium.

There is a place in Grenada where my grandmother was born called Sauters, literally translates as "Jumpers" in French.

When the French invaded Grenada the defeated Native's took their women and children and jumped off a cliff as they didn't want their families having to endure the hardships and horrors of being slaves.

My ancestors endured this for hundreds of years and survived, taking that into account I consider it a miracle that I'm here today.

Being proud of my culture is paying homage to everything my ancestors went through for me to be here.

Respecting a struggle and/ or sacrifice and respecting and recognising it is not the same as having pride in it

Pride is a sense of achievement, that you've done well, and while you may have 'done well' in being born in a nation (or perhaps even a city) where things like culture are abundant and the history is rich, it has nothing to do with you personally, so your sense of pride comes from something that just happened to you

You wouldn't be proud of winning the lottery, you'd be happy that it turned out that way, sure, but not proud

That's all it is, one big genealogical lottery

• Upvote 1

I doubt many people feel like the world owes them something lol No one has said that .

And the effects of slavery are still seen to this day .

You have to remember that the "rape" of the motherland only really and truely ended like 50 years ago (independence) and some still have no independance

I doubt many people feel like the world owes them something lol No one has said that .

And the effects of slavery are still seen to this day .

You have to remember that the "rape" of the motherland only really and truely ended like 50 years ago (independence) and some still have no independance

The effects of lands being conquered effects most nations to this days years after the event

I see dictators taking over some of these countries and doing worse to there own people even after independence

Move on in life and if you want to better your motherland why not go back and enrich the lands with hard work to grow the nation you are proud of

Move on in life and if you want to better your motherland why not go back and enrich the lands with hard work to grow the nation you are proud of

Why do you assume those born here aren't considering that?

What to those that don't have a motherland as a result of the British?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1