'I can teach you how to speak my language - Rosetta Stone'

RaiKkoNen

Fresh out of Uni. It's time to learn that new language that I've been putting off for 3 years.

Who's used Rosetta Stone CDs/software for Spanish/French?

I'm still contemplating learning Mandarin, but I've heard it's difficult as f*ck, and I don't think it's something I can manage to learn if I'm working 10 hour days starting September, but in the long term, this could worth more than Espanyol & Francais?

Is it feasible to get a decent standing in French between now and Halloween? Bearing in mind the last time I spoke French was in May 2011, and I haven't touched French since my GCSEs :lol: ?

Bounce some ideas in here, I wanna know what you multi-lingual heads on here have done.

For those of you who can barely speak English; GTFO.

did a short course through futureversity on Mandarin 2 summers ago

that language is somethin else

can't add much more but I'm interested in the answers to your Q's

It's a decent program, doesn't go through things how you'd think tho e.g Numbers, Days, Colours etc.. first, it drops you straight into the language without translations. It teaches you to see something and know what it is in the learning language rather than saying e.g Red = Rouge. This, for home study, joined with classes and a trip to the country is best.

Works very well to give you the basics but you need to speak to people, read extra stuff in order to get a real grasp of the language. The good thing about it is it makes you work out the grammar and meanings for yourself so it does stick in your head more. I would recommend it but you need to really be on learning the language to capitalise on it.

I also don't recommend paying for it. I don't think it is worth it that much. Would be more practical to go the place where you want to learn it for an extended period of time.

As for getting a decent standing in French by Halloween I don't think so but you could be different. Me for example have been doing Portuguese for about a year and four months and can speak at a basic level but still struggle understanding quickly or at all what some people say at times. I used to do Rosetta stone two hours a day (until my studies started then one hour a day), watch films dubbed in Portuguese, read articles and watch Brazilian programmes on YouTube. Basically, you still need regular real life practice and exposure so your ears and eyes becomes trained rather than remembering images or phrases. Any opportunity I get I ask a Brazilian about certain rules of grammar, why I say this or that, what is the meaning of a word, anything on my mind. If you can talk to cleaners at work and they speak French, do it, other colleagues, do it, just get to hearing it as much as possible. I have even changed my Mac into Portuguese and my facebook into Portuguese just so I'm exposed to it regularly and all the suggestions I gave are definitely helping me out. If you can speak it confidently to a decent level come Halloween I will be very impressed.

Best of luck with it man. Languages are the way forward.

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

I need to learn Arabic

Wanna chat to my nan without my mum translating all the time

Remember when my cousin tried teaching me Russian

LONG!!

Yeah I did Russian at some level during High School, sh*t was peak. I can only remember one word from it and that's Oolitsa (Bridge) lol.

Anyways, Em Dott, some real valid points there. I'll defo be going on that advice because it seems more hands on, and I'm more likely to retain the language by immersing myself in it.

Safe.

Yeah I did Russian at some level during High School, sh*t was peak. I can only remember one word from it and that's Oolitsa (Bridge) lol.

really? i did it in school and i can read it, count to 100 and know a few phrases

i didnt take it seriously though, imma learn it again once i learn enough swahili

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Nah my cousins are from them sides

When I went school it was French or German but there wasn't enough French teachers so it was just German

Straight bunk I ain't trying to talk like adolf

Youths telling me they do Spanish Italian mandarin these days

Would love to have done any of those...I got parred smh

My school only had French up until year 9 then they introduced Spanish and randomly threw certain people into a brand new language making the first two years of secondary school useless. Actually wish I learnt it properly since language is such a sick skill to have. Better late than never.

My other half can speak French since GCSEs & A level times. I will NEED to learn Spanish & Arabic now, especially since some of the languages have similar words and meanings. (El & Al etc etc).

Will be coping a Rosetta Stone or try get something free.

Rrosetta stone rubbish_your best of spending them hundreds you spend on rosetta and get a cheap holiday to a destination with your chosen language and pick it up locally -always best and easiest way to learn and when you get a basic grasp consider taking a tutored course or better still get a pen pal in your chosen language and email and skype -that better than any exspensive tutor

Rrosetta stone rubbish_your best of spending them hundreds you spend on rosetta and get a cheap holiday to a destination with your chosen language and pick it up locally -always best and easiest way to learn and when you get a basic grasp consider taking a tutored course or better still get a pen pal in your chosen language and email and skype -that better than any exspensive tutor