PC Gaming/General PC topic

Creed Diskenth

• 1 year later...

My macbook is gradually coming to an end after 7 years of solid service.  As Apple have stopped selling the macbook pro with the disk drive where you can manually update the hardware when you wanted to I'm gonna have to move away from macbooks.  Going to look at windows laptops but have absolutely no clue what's hot and what's not.  A little advice pointing me in the direction of what kind of things to look for would be greatly appreciated.  I am not gaming or doing graphic design or anything like that.  I just need a laptop that operates at a good speed, enables me to browse the net for youtube, schmorn and all that good stuff and is not going to slow down drastically if I have multiple programs open like excel and chrome.

I assume windows 10 is the latest OS out but I have no idea what kinda of processors I should be looking at.  Like I said, any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.  Need ti gauge how much money to put aside within the next 6 months as I feel my macbook has at the most one more year before it completely packs in.

probably an absolute noob question, but my pc is a bit old school and running vista. Just got the new iphone 7 and it wont let me plug it in via itunes as it's not the latest version, I go to download the latest itunes but cant becuase I dont have windows 7 or later.

just checked online and windows 7 is on average of £40-£50, is there any other way to get it for cheaper / free or am I just going to have to take the hit

19 hours ago, macz said:

probably an absolute noob question, but my pc is a bit old school and running vista. Just got the new iphone 7 and it wont let me plug it in via itunes as it's not the latest version, I go to download the latest itunes but cant becuase I dont have windows 7 or later.

just checked online and windows 7 is on average of £40-£50, is there any other way to get it for cheaper / free or am I just going to have to take the hit

W10 for £13 here

https://www.scdkey.uk/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, macz said:

safe bro I can update from vista to 10 right and dont have to go through 7, 8 etc?

Errrr..dont know if you can upgrade from vista. you might have to do a clean install and then activate, but then u would be losing everything,  so you still need W7 if u want to retain your shit

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 4 December 2016 at 4:46 PM, Em Dott said:

My macbook is gradually coming to an end after 7 years of solid service.  As Apple have stopped selling the macbook pro with the disk drive where you can manually update the hardware when you wanted to I'm gonna have to move away from macbooks.  Going to look at windows laptops but have absolutely no clue what's hot and what's not.  A little advice pointing me in the direction of what kind of things to look for would be greatly appreciated.  I am not gaming or doing graphic design or anything like that.  I just need a laptop that operates at a good speed, enables me to browse the net for youtube, schmorn and all that good stuff and is not going to slow down drastically if I have multiple programs open like excel and chrome.

I assume windows 10 is the latest OS out but I have no idea what kinda of processors I should be looking at.  Like I said, any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.  Need ti gauge how much money to put aside within the next 6 months as I feel my macbook has at the most one more year before it completely packs in.

Yo is everyone gonna leave me hanging?

Just need some standard advice on what to look for.

39 minutes ago, Em Dott said:

Yo is everyone gonna leave me hanging?

Just need some standard advice on what to look for.

If you're not doing gaming/editing you should be calm with an Intel i3 processor, 8GB ram, SSD/1TBHDD.

Honestly depends how much to want to spend, you can get decent laptops for £350 but will probably have to pay more if you want extra stuff.

Its best to read reviews because even good spec laptops can be shit. Helps with finding out about things like battery life etc

34 minutes ago, mp* said:

If you're not doing gaming/editing you should be calm with an Intel i3 processor, 8GB ram, SSD/1TBHDD.

Honestly depends how much to want to spend, you can get decent laptops for £350 but will probably have to pay more if you want extra stuff.

Its best to read reviews because even good spec laptops can be shit. Helps with finding out about things like battery life etc

Nice one bro.  Was prepared to spend around £400-500 so that sounds good to me.  WIll have a shop around.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo are desktop PCs really not being sold with monitors or am I just looking at the wrong places?  Have checked ebuyer and John lewis and both places are selling desktop PCs with no monitors.  Really not trying to spend too much since I have other shit to save for at the moment but I am looking to get a computer.

On 29/03/2017 at 10:53 PM, Em Dott said:

Yo are desktop PCs really not being sold with monitors or am I just looking at the wrong places?  Have checked ebuyer and John lewis and both places are selling desktop PCs with no monitors.  Really not trying to spend too much since I have other shit to save for at the moment but I am looking to get a computer.

In general yes, you have to buy them separately. There are some all-in-one PCs and you can find tower+montior bundles but they haven't been great in my experience.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:53 PM, Em Dott said:

try overclockers.co.uk 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 10:53 PM, Em Dott said:

So I'm back with some more questions.

If I purchase a tower, are they still designed in a way where you can buy components and update the physical hardware as and when you please?  I was contemplating looking at PCs built into the monitors but I'm not sure how flexible they are if I wanted to upgrade the ram, HDD, etc.

Also how much can I acquire a decent set of two monitors for?  I don't need 1080p HD as I'm gonna be using it mainly for general browsing the net and microsoft office.

And I know this may sound silly but everytime I look for PCs it looks like they are literally only selling the base, no mouse and no keyboard.  Is this the case that I'll have to buy those separately as well?

26 minutes ago, Em Dott said:

So I'm back with some more questions.

If I purchase a tower, are they still designed in a way where you can buy components and update the physical hardware as and when you please?  I was contemplating looking at PCs built into the monitors but I'm not sure how flexible they are if I wanted to upgrade the ram, HDD, etc.

Also how much can I acquire a decent set of two monitors for?  I don't need 1080p HD as I'm gonna be using it mainly for general browsing the net and microsoft office.

And I know this may sound silly but everytime I look for PCs it looks like they are literally only selling the base, no mouse and no keyboard.  Is this the case that I'll have to buy those separately as well?

Na mate if you want a customisable PC go for a Tower. If you're looking at upgrades in an all in one pc you'll have problems with spacing for a graphics card , extra ram , HDD bays or other upgrades etc

Monitors are cheap now days Ebuyer / Scan / Amazon / Overclockers do em. 

https://www.ebuyer.com/743175-acer-k202hqlab-19-5-led-vga-monitor-um-ix3ee-a01  --- for example.

About the Package deal point. They used to ONLY do full package deals. You can still find them out there but you'll get bumped. You could easily put together a package yourself with all the bits you need. Get a tower/small form factor box ( smaller tower) + monitors + keyboard mouse set and you're good.

If you want a package deal look here https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A428651031%2Ck%3Apackage+desktop&keywords=package+desktop&ie=UTF8&qid=1493323326&rnid=1642204031

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, i5_PRODUCER said:

Na mate if you want a customisable PC go for a Tower. If you're looking at upgrades in an all in one pc you'll have problems with spacing for a graphics card , extra ram , HDD bays or other upgrades etc

Monitors are cheap now days Ebuyer / Scan / Amazon / Overclockers do em. 

https://www.ebuyer.com/743175-acer-k202hqlab-19-5-led-vga-monitor-um-ix3ee-a01  --- for example.

About the Package deal point. They used to ONLY do full package deals. You can still find them out there but you'll get bumped. You could easily put together a package yourself with all the bits you need. Get a tower/small form factor box ( smaller tower) + monitors + keyboard mouse set and you're good.

If you want a package deal look here https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A428651031%2Ck%3Apackage+desktop&keywords=package+desktop&ie=UTF8&qid=1493323326&rnid=1642204031

I suspected the package may not be worth the money so I'll look for the components separately.  £70 for a monitor isn't bad seeing as I'm looking to get two.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated mate.

• 1 month later...

I was messing around with this at work a couple weeks back. Mwaad!. Weighs a Ton, Toby eye tracking is mad accurate and nice addition for first person shooter experience.  It will be interesting to see if they implement that feature into monitors and Tv's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

computer fucked up had to restore factory settings so I am back on Windows 7, I cant get back onto WIndows 10 so I have to fork out £90 for a new one.

My graphics card seems not to be working now when I install it(I had been meaning to buy a new one since may)  to loads up but when goes into windows the screen goes black. Is this actually the graphics card or Windows 7 as I have heard Windows 7 is a compromised in regards to bugs. 

Plus my computer does not shut down at all. I read it is because I have multiple cores or some nonsense.

Would it be best for me buy Windows 10 first then look at graphics cards. Seen windows 10 go for £6 on Amazon but I think I am better off just investing in a copy from ebuyers.

I want to get ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB Graphics Card worth it? anyone know a better card in the same range I want Nvidea though because I want to be able to stream my PC games to my PS vita through Gforce Experince and moonlight 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IPFN7UQ/ref=psdc_430524031_t2_B01IOWT4DO

Been working with my old radeon 7850 which served me well the past 4 years