GRIME

Lionel & Dave

went back to my Mum's recently and raided my old room for all the Grime tapes i could find

have spent the last few days listening to nothing but the oldest Grime i can get my hands on - Roll Deep spittin over devil mixes, Deja Vu days etc., proper 2002 sh*t

find it so hard to believe that that was 10 years ago now

i remember having so many thoughts about how Grime could really blow back then, be our Hip Hop etc.

every year i was waiting for it to happen, waiting for it to blow and for people to actually get it, but it never happened, by 2008 and Giggs was droppin i was like it's done

last night i found myself watching Conflict on youtube. seeing Dizzee, Crazy Titch and Tinchy all in the same room, thinking about how one went worldwide, one's doin life and the other now makes what is basically the worst type of pop music going

who thinks Dizzee's success was detrimental to the failure of Grime as a genre and a culture?

i remember someone on here saying once Dizzee went everyone was waiting on All In One (of all people) to go next

made me think, in an ideal world so many of these guys could have blown. instead we're left with these Scratchy D / Tempa T type cartoon characters like the whole thing was a joke

what do you lot think about Grime in 2012?

play this tune loud and have a think about it

feel free to turn this into a Grime appreciation thread but come with some opinions and tales of reminiscence plz bosses

• Upvote 1

Tune always reminds me of a certain sidewinder audio think its bonfire bonanza or something

I had the a similar 'moment' of reflection then dug out all my old vinyl and set up the decks. I got some f*ckin gems considering I followed the music from Scotland. I actually made a trip to Rhythm Division, from Glasgow, just to go there, every though I ordered stuff off them online all the time.

Thing with Grime in 2012 is the biggest names that came out of the scene dont even make and represent the music. People want to 'go pop' and make a hit - they are putting down the music by moving away from it try in order to (try and) gain success. Look at people like Kano - talented guy with so much potential had a well received first album then got gassed off the success and thought he was bigger than Grime. Look where he ended up. Damn shame.

Let me take this as an opportunity to plug a little mix I did for Grime forum that got about 5k hits:

http://podcast.grime...21-skola-mixes/

Tracklist (in tags to save space):

Harry - Madrax

Sticky - Golly Gosh

Dexplicit - Change Formation (Hench 2)

Wiley - Ice Pole Remix

Dexplicit - Roll Wid Us Remix

Footsie - Prang Man

Macabre Unit - Crusher / Unit Jam (???)

Dexplicit - Pull Up Dat Remix

Low Deep - Spit Fire

??? - Gype Riddim

IMP Batch - Fusion (Gype Remix)

J Sweet - Kerb 2

Wiley - Fire Hydrant

Skepta - Mucktion

Young Dot - Bazooka Riddim

DJ Mondie - North Wheezy

Low Deep - Straight Flush

Wiley - Ice Cream Man

Dizzie Rascal - ??? (CLASSIC)

XTC - Ghetto Kyote

XTC - Ghetto Kyote Remix

Skepta - Misty Cold Remix

Dizzie Rascal - String Hoe

DJ Mondie - Pull Up Dat

Davinche - Phaze

Plasticman - Cha'

Terror Danjah - Haunted

Ruff Sqwad - Down

Dizzie Rascal - Goe 3

Terror Danjah - Piano Madness

Alias - Gladiator 2

DPM - Av Some of That

Lethal B - Forward Riddim (Mr Snowman Remix)

The Ends - Are You Really From the Ends (Remix 2)

J Sweet - Kurb

Big-E-D (???) - Frontline (Davinche Remix)

DJ Odds - Champion Remix

XTC - Baby Wipes (???)

JME - Production

TNT - Arabian Riddim

Andy Havok - Moving Target

Davinche & Jammer - K.DOT

Jon e Cash - Cash Beat (aka Hoods Up Dub)

Waifer - Grime

Jon e Cash - Invade

DJ Eastwood - U Ain't Ready (Clash Mix)

J Sweet - Ratz

Dizzie Rascal - Hoe 3

Young Dot - Taliban

Ruff Sqwad - Don't Trust

Davinche - Misty Blue

XTC - Misty Cold Remix

Low Deep - Jedi

XTC - Functions on the Low

• Upvote 3

If you're gonna talk about grime, let's start at the beginning.

[media=]

[/media]

I think it's fair to say that So Solid have a place in grime foundations, whether off the 'grimey' sound or the crew concept.

absolutely!

Dilemna and Melody >>>>

remember listening to Rap Dis in Release The Groove and thinking what the f*ck is this sh*t?

"29 of us and we all got gats"

f*ck off

bunch of mugs

now i'm like.. "oh"

Hindsight is 20/20 but if Grime was more DJ and Producer focused and less MC it would have been bigger

It also helps when those involved don't have the business acumen of a goldfish.

These man weren't interested in making a self-sustaining scene when they could at least make a living off music alone.

instead they wanted to "blow" and that mindset did more damage than good in my opinion

but yeah...hindsight

• Upvote 7

Hindsight is 20/20 but if Grime was more DJ and Producer focused and less MC it would have been bigger

These man weren't interested in making a self-sustaining scene when they could at least make a living off music alone.

instead they wanted to "blow" and that mindset did more damage than good in my opinion

but yeah...hindsight

+1

people still looking back through rosetinted glasses, it didnt evolve so died out

tbh i think its the opposite. it did evolve and thats what killed it.

having 20 man roll up to a studio to spit over unmastered beats on faulty mics on radio a 1am >>>>> full cds trying to imitate a hip hop mixtape.

• Upvote 5

but yeah...hindsight

Loved it still do.

It's failure to establish itself in the way it should have is criminal.

For me dubstep will forever be a poorer interpretation, yeah I said it.

Yaow

people still looking back through rosetinted glasses, it didnt evolve so died out

tbh i think its the opposite. it did evolve and thats what killed it.

having 20 man roll up to a studio to spit over unmastered beats on faulty mics on radio a 1am >>>>> full cds trying to imitate a hip hop mixtape.