GRIME

Lionel & Dave

If them man actually loved the music they could have built their own industry and gone down in musical history though

It wouldve been 10 years deep by now, all the kids growing up would have only known dizzie on grime, and grown up being taught Boy In The Corner is the greatest UK album of all time etc

Kids wouldve grown up and had the market built around them

Although we as fans are to blame too as the majority of us just download music but on the other hand we wouldve easily paid to see these guys live in a concert which would have got them money

They took the easy option and now the only way for them to make money is to be c/s be a white rapper with less ability, wear skinny jeans and sign their own hooks whilst wearing a snap back over a poppy beat

Image if groups like De La Soul and the others never stuck hip hop out and just continued making jazzy/soul music as their was no industry or money to be made

Joke ting

• Upvote 2

Good point John Wall, I pos'd. So industry mechanisms killed grime? I think it's easy to blame them, but ego is another thing you can't leave out.

Notice how every grime MC who got slightly popular decided that they wanted to be an 'artist' and make 'music', as if they weren't already making music. Suddenly MCs wanted you to know that they could rhyme over an acoustic guitar, or with a female vocalist etc. Some bullshit, when most of us only liked them for what they were doing originally, not what they 'realized' about themselves down the line.

Selling out is a big temptation once you realize that there is a braindead market of 10-18 year olds with debit cards and internet access.

this is all well and good but i say it again. PEOPLE HAVE TO EAT.

u cant remain bummy because of grime purists that u cant make a decent lving off anyway

im not condoning shitty music

innit.

you lot dont pay thier bills

esquillax and his little sisters do

lol @ thinkin decent money werent gettin made off tunes like pulse x, i luv you, eskimo, creeper & boys love girls

wiley used to shot 1 sided 12 inches out of rhythm division for £10 each and moved SILLY units

• Upvote 3

swear eskimo pushed up to 100k units?

Thinking about, grime was a catch 22. Everything about it we loved, is the reason it could never get big as we loved it.

this is it really,

its like buying a season ticket and going to watch your team play football every week, you want them to win everything, but you know once they do they will put prices up start pandering to a next type/different class of "consumer" and a new type of fan will emerge who will ultimately dilute the product and atmosphere around it.

Radio was the one, but Artist didn't see any comeback in that so f*cked it off,

mixtapes got downloaded by the "fanbase"

Albums undersold coz the fanbase didn't want to part with their money/couldn't afford to,

said artists weren't 17 anymore had bills to pay and families to feed, so fair play to the ones who have made something from their love of music, even if it isn't what they imagined at the start.

it was f*ck*ng great while it lasted though (the peak years), and i have a load of tapes to remember the years.

JME is a true bastion of the game, and has made an ok life for himself through the genre, he seems pretty determined to stick with it as well. he doesn't really pander to the other side and so has a strong fanbase,

he isn't the best MC ever but he is not at all sh*t.

JME is a true bastion of the game, and has made an ok life for himself through the genre, he seems pretty determined to stick with it as well. he doesn't really pander to the other side and so has a strong fanbase,

he isn't the best MC ever but he is not at all sh*t.

JME played smart, he did well.

I feel sorry for the really technical MCs that have literally done f*ck all and faded.....like Ghetts