Dreadlocks

kerser

I don't think its fair that parents make their kids have locks, especially girls

At least with boys they can shave it off if they choose to do so when their older no qualms, but for a girl now she garn be bald

Also more time they always looking messy and unkept

• Downvote 7

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Having dreads and not being a rasta

That's mocking.

yeah like having two long ringlets of hair, wearing a black hat and dressing gown and moving in a volvo is mocking orthodox jews

its just swagger player

Wheretheydothis???

Had dreads for two years, cut them recently. Its an experience that anyone who's considering growing them should go through, sounds like gas but it actually teaches you self discipline, and give you an insight into how society generally view those with dreads first hand.

how do you think you were viewed?

and why did you cut them off?

for me the discipline come from having to accept my hair wasnt always gna be neat, especially at the beginning and just having to own the look

Had dreads for two years, cut them recently. Its an experience that anyone who's considering growing them should go through, sounds like gas but it actually teaches you self discipline, and give you an insight into how society generally view those with dreads first hand.

how do you think you were viewed?

and why did you cut them off?

for me the discipline come from having to accept my hair wasnt always gna be neat, especially at the beginning and just having to own the look

There were two views, surprisingly enough alot of the negativity came from Black people as opposed to any other race. Most people accepted them as dreads some mistaked them for cainrolls and thats down to Morris Roots' expertise with dreads, recommend anyone to go to any of their branches, slightly pricey, but definitely know what they're doing.

Alot of people, Africans in particular, made wild assumptions based on the dreads. I had a conversation with a woman on the train, (Nigerian) let her have my seat, and she preceded to detail all the things she associated with dreads. Immediately assumed I was Ras, "I take it its part of your religion, the weed too?". Imagine her shock when I inform her I'm of Nigerian heritage, fluent in Yoruba, and have a degree in Quantity Surveying. Sterotypes I received were mostly all from black people.

Self-discipline and patience you get from the days when your head looks sh*t. Growing dreads is definitely not for the feint hearted or aesthetically over conscious. There's also the routine you have to follow to ensure your dreads look good, and are healthy, that again is discipline and patience. Its only when people don't pay attention to their hair that you come off looking bummy in my opinion.

As to why I cut them, I was turning 22 and decided I'd like a change. Growing dreads was the first time in my life i'd ever had long hair, other than a brief stint at s-curl in year 8 :/, and I felt I'd had that sense of self-achievement, so I had no qualms cutting them.

Apologies for the essay.

• Upvote 4