Arbeit Macht Frei

Kurtis

Daily Mail 'RightMinds' recommends Nazi slogan: Arbeit Macht Frei

auschwitz-1_1546536c.jpg

Um. I'm all in favour of finding the best way to end Britain's ongoing unemployment problem, but I have to admit it didn't occur to me to use Auschwitz as a role model. But I can't think outside the box in the same way that Dominique Jackson of The Daily Mail's RightMinds can:

The German slogan “Arbeit Macht Frei” is somewhat tainted by its connection with Nazi concentration camps, but its essential message, “work sets you free” still has something serious to commend it. There is dignity to be gained from any job, no matter how menial, and for young people at the start of their careers, there are valuable lessons to be learned from any form of employment, whether that is on the factory floor, on a supermarket till or in the contemporary hard labour camp of a merchant bank or law office.

Somewhat tainted, yes, Dominique. I mean, admittedly reductio ad Hitlerum is a logical fallacy, but nonetheless I think there might be lower-hanging fruit to reach for when it comes to inspiring slogans. Hat tip The New Statesman's Alex Hern.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100176441/daily-mail-rightminds-recommends-nazi-slogan-arbeit-macht-frei/

636381500.png