Business - When do You mention the money?

Lens

So if I'm doing a job for someone, I like to find out what resources I'll need, how long, and the day. once I know this much my next contact will mention the price, and if they don't mention it in their reply, I'll ask if we agree on the price.

But there's this strange trend of people who don't want to mention the money, leave it as long as possible, and even feel awkward mentioning money, even though it is for business.

So, if it's You paying them, do You mention the money, or wait for them to?

So yeah, when do You mention the price?

Depends really, if the money may be an issue: List the specifications, name the price, then make the pitch that will convince them to accomodate the cost.

If its a good price name it last as a sort of icing on the cake.

Let them know the price before you start working and let them know if there may be additional costs in the future.

im usually the customer, so i gotta work out the money first

i dont like long pointless convos so i cut to the chase

plus 2 years ago i bought a sofa on ebay and got some man in a van to pick it up with me, guy was mad vague on the prices, but i just went along with it, finish now and im like, how much, he says how much do you think, im thinking, d*ckhead, what if i say £2? then i mentioned a price and he said no and added a tenner to it, then why the f*ck didnt you say that in the first place?

yeah so price up front

• Upvote 1

I used to feel awkward but now most phone calls I take im quoting between £1-10k so its normal, you can't express cater to people reactions either.

Face to face its worse but I have my well used phrases where I say eg. 'the deposit is £500 once that is processed I can order your parts and book your work in'. You have to be blunt, never feel sorry for saying a price or sound uneasy.

End of the day we all need to get paid or what the hell are we doing anyway. Nothing's for free and I hate nothing more than people who try and dodge paying or try and find issues to cut the bill.

• Upvote 3