Work & Life

Natalie

every time i come in this thread i wanna look for an office job, this whole working environment is something ive missed in my life

its sh*t. proper emasculating being sat behind a desk being an email gangsta and banging out excel and word. If doing stuff like being a joiner/bricky/doorman etc. paid better I'd much rather do something like that.

Men should be doing physical things. Not chained to desks, chatting sh*t

• Upvote 1

its f*ckin sh*t

ur not missing out

i think most people on a level try and make the best out of a bad situation

only weirdos actually love being in the office and make their entire life about the office

theres far too many arseholes for the office to be a place of envy

the etiquette, the politics, most of the time i dnt know who hates who till i leave an i get the gossip

one girl is on a 'adding the office to facebook' tip, i told her if she can find me, add me

she keeps comin in makin peoples fb pics topics of conversation, llow it

i never ever get caught up in the tea hype, i pretend i dont like tea when i actually LOVE it

have to wait all day to have a cuppa when really i would prefer one directly after lunch

really wanna get one a dem special water bottles with the filter

Its possible to find an office environment which is a pleasure to work in. Im there right now. Mind you, the trial and error has taken 5 years. I've worked in the media industry (a magazine company to be specific) which was a socially demanding environment. Very cliquey and if you weren't accepted into the right circles your job could easily be made harder. I've worked in a FTSE 100 firm where the pressures of the job made any social endeavours within the hours near to impossible, but if you didn't part-take in regular pub visits after work once again you were out of the loop and out of the clique. I've worked in the NHS where the average age is "can't wait to retire" and any morale let alone any social aspect doesn't exist.

The place where I found the right balance was

A - in the music industry, where my own insterests lay. Where the workforce is young, querky and very interactive.

B - A start up company (almost) where few social circles have formed and there aren't many employees, so you get to know and interact with everyone regardless of which department they're in

every time i come in this thread i wanna look for an office job, this whole working environment is something ive missed in my life

its sh*t. proper emasculating being sat behind a desk being an email gangsta and banging out excel and word. If doing stuff like being a joiner/bricky/doorman etc. paid better I'd much rather do something like that.

Men should be doing physical things. Not chained to desks, chatting sh*t

agree. doorwork aint what it was tho really. love/hate thing for me.

I've always imagines working in an office full of niggas. Im actually not sure if it would function.

if you think this as a black man. You cant act surprised/call discrimination when you look around and youre the only black face in your office.

• Upvote 4

I've always imagines working in an office full of niggas. Im actually not sure if it would function.

if you think this as a black man. You cant act surprised/call discrimination when you look around and youre the only black face in your office.

This

Its like guys think to get away from your own kinda means you made it

Sad, insecure and just weird

• Upvote 4

Can't stand working with black people tbh actually scratch that black guys are alright. It's black women and African men with family's (they always push god towards me).

I worked in music and start up that was young white and Asian guys and then obviously black artist would pop in that was cool.

But since then all I have ever done is office jobs with women. Prefer young Essex girls to work with 19 to 39 like my previous job. . But past 3 years been working with basically mums and 18 of them. So radio 2 every day. Lucky it is a hospital and they hire 2500 people so I can still go check next people in next departments and have a laugh with and say things without people looking down at their nose at me. Nice people though gone on day trips (not really a night club office when women are 36 to 72)

• Downvote 2

Me and this woman both know each other. We have never been formally introduced or spoke but we both know each others names, what we have been working on etc. because we have colleagues in common who I know for a fact speak about me in her presence and vice versa.

Someone introduced us just now. Why is this woman fronting like she has no idea I exist and like she's never heard of me. People are nuts I swear.

they been gettin on to me about going to the pub with them

'you never come to the pub'

me: 'i do'

them: 'you just don't like us do you'

me: secretly

in a group email i said i would go tomorrow, one guy replies with 'WHAAAT!!?'

so i reply 'TRUE SPEAK'

i get back: 'WORD OUT HOMIE'

i feel like i invited that but f*ck dem

wtf is word out, whos homie?

so i reply 'TRUE SPEAK'

wtf is true speak?

• Upvote 1

so i reply 'TRUE SPEAK'

This is exactly what i meant by getting alienated in the other thread.

so i reply 'TRUE SPEAK'

wtf is true speak?

not even the point tbh

I don't mind getting alienated by work colleagues

Because that's all they are

dont matter how good you are at your job, if people dont like you or feel like you're one of them. You aint ever going to make any progress.

so i reply 'TRUE SPEAK'

whole situation reminded me of

• Upvote 1