Work & Life

Natalie

I'm sorry but Brem is either exaggerating his hours or is one of those guys that doesn't know how to navigate the corporate world and is hence being abused by his managers. Or just doesn't know how to organize his work.

Unless you are a 1st/2nd year analyst in IB, or similar low-level associate in corporate law, there's no reason you should consistently be doing all-nighters. Even investment banking associates at Goldman are supposed to be out the office by 7-8pm unless there's a crisis. Why are you working these hours if you have some level of seniority in your department?

And for everyone saying "for 69k I'd dig ditches 18 hours a day"...that's not an insane salary at all, especially when people in audit at KPMG don't really get bonuses like that. Tbh it's the same salary of a 22 year old in any major bank's IBD - at least they get compensated for the abuse they take.

• Downvote 4

Take it easy brem man, like smaddy said, that future anxiety is mad, and if you're working like this and have a kid it'll be even worse.

/

I'm sorry, I can't face being a doctor any more

My family and I won’t survive the junior doctor contract financially or personally – I’m giving up

I'm sorry, I can't face being a doctor any more

http://gu.com/p/4df3zz

Good write up by a junior doctor on why she's quitting

I'm sorry but Brem is either exaggerating his hours or is one of those guys that doesn't know how to navigate the corporate world and is hence being abused by his managers. Or just doesn't know how to organize his work.

Unless you are a 1st/2nd year analyst in IB, or similar low-level associate in corporate law, there's no reason you should consistently be doing all-nighters. Even investment banking associates at Goldman are supposed to be out the office by 7-8pm unless there's a crisis. Why are you working these hours if you have some level of seniority in your department?

And for everyone saying "for 69k I'd dig ditches 18 hours a day"...that's not an insane salary at all, especially when people in audit at KPMG don't really get bonuses like that. Tbh it's the same salary of a 22 year old in any major bank's IBD - at least they get compensated for the abuse they take.

I'm a manager. And no I am not incompetent. I am rated very highly. Rated in the top 10% of my peer group. In client service your work hours and dictated by your portfolio of clients. If your clients are slow/shit at getting you what you need then your teams move on to other projects and youre left holding the baby. I'm working 4 projects at once, 2 of these are like that. I don't work all nighters all the time, only of late. However the long term trend is that I work 65-70 hours average a week including weekends often. If more time is needed your partners are meant to back you to tell the clients this. Unfortunately more often than not the partners are playing politics and don't want to upset the pay heck by telling them we won't meet the original timeframe and it is their fault. I initially posed here because it's a complete fucking nonsense that I cremated my mum 1.5weeks ago (spread her ashes on Saturday) and half the time since then I have had to work like a dog.

I'm a manager. And no I am not incompetent. I am rated very highly. Rated in the top 10% of my peer group. In client service your work hours and dictated by your portfolio of clients. If your clients are slow/sh*t at getting you what you need then your teams move on to other projects and youre left holding the baby. I'm working 4 projects at once, 2 of these are like that. I don't work all nighters all the time, only of late. However the long term trend is that I work 65-70 hours average a week including weekends often. If more time is needed your partners are meant to back you to tell the clients this. Unfortunately more often than not the partners are playing politics and don't want to upset the pay heck by telling them we won't meet the original timeframe and it is their fault. I initially posed here because it's a complete f*cking nonsense that I cremated my mum 1.5weeks ago (spread her ashes on Saturday) and half the time since then I have had to work like a dog.
It's not nonsense it's completely unethical on your company's part.

Compassionate leave?

At the end of the day

The guy clearly wants to be at work

Otherwise he wouldn't be there

Clients don't care about your problems or how long you work. They make the demands and we deliver. When I am key to all these projects and the clients are demanding then the expectation is placed on me to deliver because there is no one else and the partners I work for therefore will rather I burn myself out and go nuts than disappoint the client. They never say that but it is the Reality.

I either do it or watch my career suffer.

Thats what i hate about so many work places.

What happened to the team?

What appened to knowledge management?

Handover documentation?

Parallel skill sets?

I know we all wanna selfishly be indispensable but it means none of the above is in place when you really need it

When you're on top how nice it is to be the only one who can do this or that

Look how shit it is now.

And tbh even tho you think you're indispensable you completely are. When you break they'll replace you

Joke when you're taking a sh*t at work and someone comes in with the intention to bang one out. You hear a sigh and the door close again

dunno wtf is wrong with people here, never once have I heard someone knock, they just go straight for the handle and pull down like it's not a thing

so 3 months in new employment and I'm already feeling like its long

think I'm gonna go freelance then cut back for extra time to do activities in the creative sector

Started a digital venture with my boy last month. We'd been talking about it for years. Finally had enough and purchased what we needed to get going.

Making decent progress at the moment. It won't return money until Month 6 at least in my opinion. But it's a start.

Really hard working till 6 most days and getting home around 7 then carrying on with more work. But I cannot work for somebody in the long term. Dreams and drive are too big for this shit.

Finally been exposed to the snakey daem esque behaviour too. Shits disgusting

• Upvote 2

messed up an interview today

it was going relatively well until the guy sprung a presentation on me and my communication was a mess

had to prepare and pitch an educational aid app within 30 minutes. 30 minutes inc. 10 minute presentation?! took me roughly 8 minutes to get a brilliant idea, then just had 12 minutes to think of and put into a presentation its business value, growth potential, app features and benefits, cost analysis (what would the £50,000 be spent on). it was just far too tight for timing, i swear 40 minutes is actually reasonable while still testing you.

they have several divisions, and they decide which one to put you in. i talked a lot in my first interview about one particular division revolved around customer engagement and design, and my past experiences align to that fairly well imo. but they aligned me to strategy and as a result had to go through a harder interview which most likely reduced my chances of working at this company at all.

fair enough i should've flexible and been able to deliver a well thought out and logical presentation, and fair enough if this is their way to pick out the strong students, but what irks me about it the most is that no other candidate had to do one! 5 people said theirs was just a chat with the interviewer doing all the talking to sell them the role. this is for a grad position as well so this should've been a transparent process, but seems it's dependent upon the manager. madness.

Decided that second working week of January I'm handing in my notice, with or without a job offer lined up. Potential job opportunities are being shut down because of my notice period (mine is 2 months where most people at a similar level are on 1 month). Should be able to get some interviews lined up just before I approach the 1 month left mark. Also I don't want to be around for their year end.

Just gotta bide my time now and wait for January. Cannot wait for it to drop already.