Work & Life

Natalie

Not work per se, but career-oriented.

Just got an email confirmation that the FA will contribute a hefty bursary for my UEFA B License and hopefully throw me on their COACH programme (basically get to shadow a Premier League or Championship academy for a season).

Just waiting to see if I actually got accepted on the UEFA B License set to start in February.

Result.

Good news, just got confirmation I've been accepted on the course.

Good way to lead into 2016.

Thanks for the support guys.

• Upvote 8

Just got an email confirmation that the FA will contribute a hefty bursary for my UEFA B License and hopefully throw me on their COACH programme (basically get to shadow a Premier League or Championship academy for a season).

Just waiting to see if I actually got accepted on the UEFA B License set to start in February.

Result.

Congrats bro

Result.

???

Such a bittersweet day today was.

For a few months the climate has been tense with a client whose contract contributes towards around 15% of company revenues. The sector of the group our company sits within also has contracts with the client and their relationship is also under strain. The FP&A for this client sit with me and hasn't been a factor in the turbulent relationship until it was dragged into contention last week during the clients board meeting. There's been a lot of focus of my work at the top level particularly focusing of risk to the bottom line due to our sales mix. The onus acheiving those results fall with the sales team however. Anyway at the board meeting (which took place the day before I sat an exam) the client FD points out that the prior year revenue comparative in my various analysis' don't marry up to the commissions we charged back in 2012. So we basically overcharged them and are pulling a fast one.

---The significance of this is that the client has been pushing for us to sell our remaining stock to agents (at reduced commission) rather than retailing directly to consumers since they don't believe well be able to shift it. Our focus is selling as retail which is critical to us acheiving our target profit. All of my analysis to date supports a sell out. This has been used to counter the clients wishes much to their annoyance they just want it gone---

The query was asked of my sector FD who turned around to say "boo" and each of the 5 line managers between us and the equivalent line of sales managers in the matrix jumped and the result was a flurry of back and forth emails and my phone ringing while I'm trying to focus on my exam. Confident in my work I assured that my calculations were accurate and pointed the gun at business intelligence. Who in the end had to concede the historical data was fucked.

Fast forward a week now the data is fixed and the model and subsequent reports have to be restated. I do this within an impossible time frame. Two two's this fucking weasel over at the client spots an error in one of the functions ( which wasn't there before the palava) and hots me up to the whole trail. Last straw thing, so the client are now throwing their toys out of the pram. The flak I took today was unprecedented, one of the biggest Ls in my career. After months of analytic innovation and tight financial control which hasn't even been recognised the fruits of my labour culminates as this. Fucked.

Anyway that's the bitter, now the sweet.

In the height of the furore I received a call to say I got the job.

Off to a new company. I feel to password protect all of the models I've built and Rick Ross moonwalk from my desk through to the revolving door in reception.

• Upvote 2