Eat, Fast and Live Longer - The Power of Intermittent Fasting

Skola

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19112549

SUMMARY:

Basically its 5:2 feast days to fast days. Fast days you have 600 calories in 24 hours (male) and on feast days you eat what ever you like (and as much of it as you like). It turns on some 'repair mode' in your brain and can help you loose weight, live longer and prevent the onset of age related illnesses like dementia. So far its only been tested properly on rats and monkeys but this BBC guy done it and had some health tests done afterwards and he was much healthier.

Quote from BBC article and at the bottom link to iplayer episode

Scientists are uncovering evidence that short periods of fasting, if properly controlled, could achieve a number of health benefits, as well as potentially helping the overweight, as Michael Mosley discovered.

How you age is powerfully shaped by your genes. But there's not much you can do about that.

Calorie restriction, eating well but not much, is one of the few things that has been shown to extend life expectancy, at least in animals. We've known since the 1930s that mice put on a low-calorie, nutrient-rich diet live far longer. There is mounting evidence that the same is true in monkeys.

Growth hormone

The world record for extending life expectancy in a mammal is held by a new type of mouse which can expect to live an extra 40%, equivalent to a human living to 120 or even longer.

It has been genetically engineered so its body produces very low levels of a growth hormone called IGF-1, high levels of which seem to lead to accelerated ageing and age-related diseases, while low levels are protective.

Professor Longo has investigated growth hormone deficiency in humans

A similar, but natural, genetic mutation has been found in humans with Laron syndrome, a rare condition that affects fewer than 350 people worldwide. The very low levels of IGF-1 their bodies produce means they are short, but this also seems to protect them against cancer and diabetes, two common age-related diseases.

The IGF-1 hormone (insulin-like growth factor) is one of the drivers which keep our bodies in go-go mode, with cells driven to reproduce. This is fine when you are growing, but not so good later in life.

There is now evidence suggesting that IGF-1 levels can be lowered by what you eat. Studies on calorie restrictors suggest that eating less helps, but it is not enough

As well as cutting calories you have to cut your protein intake. Not entirely - that would be a very bad idea. It's about sticking to recommended guidelines, something most of us fail to do.

The reason seems to be that when our bodies no longer have access to food they switch from "growth mode" to "repair mode".

As levels of the IGF-1 hormone drop, a number of repair genes appear to get switched on according to ongoing research by Professor Valter Longo of the University of Southern California.

Intermittent fasting

One area of current research into diet is Alternate Day fasting (ADF), involving eating what you want one day, then a very restricted diet (fewer than 600 calories) the next, and most surprisingly, it does not seem to matter that much what you eat on non-fast days.

Dr Krista Varady of the University of Illinois at Chicago carried out an eight-week trial comparing two groups of overweight patients on ADF.

"If you were sticking to your fast days, then in terms of cardiovascular disease risk, it didn't seem to matter if you were eating a high-fat or low-fat diet on your feed (non-fast) days," she said.

I decided I couldn't manage ADF, it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.

There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials. I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night.

On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge.

I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks, during which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved. If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes.

Watch the episode here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01lxyzc

I see what their saying but surely 600 calories in a day can't be good for your body? Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body uses when resting for your internal organs to function, 600 calories is much less than the average persons resting rate.

I'm no professional but I think it all boils down to how dedicated someone is to the fast, if your eating sh*t for 5 days and 2 days your eating next to nothing, you will probably see some results but someone who eats clean about 500 calories less then their daily amount on a fast, timing their meals going gym on a empty stomach while their body is in a fasted state would probably see much better results tbh.

if what their saying is done on a short time cycle every few months I think it could run, depends on the individuals lifestyle.

Skola check out the hodgetwins on youtube, theres alot of videos on their intermittent fasting, they got a channel just for it. Lots of info.

Sorry to derail ur thread but the BBC can suck me off

Currently on an anti candida diet, trying to cleanse the soul

Basically no sugars including carbs to try n kill off this yeast that grows in us n if gets too out of hand can ruin u

1st phase it's like a pure detox, just veg for a week but I'm on phase 2 till a more appropriate week pops up where I'm not forced to drink for d*ckheads birthdays

Any1 who generally feels sh*t or struggles to lose their belly should read up on it

Any1 whos Tongue ain't clean like got white gunk on it or u took antibiotics in past decade u should definitely pay attention, a million other symptoms that'll make u sit up aswell

Gona get in the way of my training seems as I'm tryna gain muscle n was previously on high carbs / eat bare tasty sh*t diet but I figure most of u lot r old fat affs so if u got symptoms u should give it a whirl

Na

I quit bud a couple months back, had a few relapses but I'm out of the rut

I will be smashin a few beans back this weekend cos goin to some tech thing n it'd be rude not to

Then next weekend be drinkin again for another pricks bday

But after that I'm done for a bit, need to cleanse n go on the 1 week of starvation, then few more weeks of pure bland food, then start reintroducing sh*t

I'm even down to 3 cigs per day, possibly try quit soon but it's hard what with cutting everything nice out my life

Y u hating for bro that ain't the way of the gym room, little bitch

Hardly train in Manny anymore. But when I do it's usually moss side leisure centre or the virgin active in printworks. Got a couple boys who have pins for gymgroup so go there occasionally, but only as a last resort. Cos I really don't like it.