"He came from Malaga! To play with Arteta! Caaaazoooorrrrlaaaa"

TF S4DK

Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla has revealed he is enjoying life in the Premier League and has attributed his impressive start to the free role he has been granted.

The €19 million summer signing from Malaga has helped the Gunners avoid defeat in their first three league games and proved instrumental in the recent 2-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield, scoring and providing an assist.

And, although the Spaniard admits there is pressure to live up to his hefty price tag, he has highlighted the freedom given to him by Arsene Wenger as crucial to his displays.

In an interview with El Pais, he said: “They have paid an important amount of money for me and the role they’ve given me is the one I like.

“I love the style of the team. Wenger’s philosophy is to control the game and I like to be on the ball. Furthermore, the boss has put me in a position, second striker, with all the freedom I want to have.

“He told me to be at ease and that he’d play me where I could most help the team. It surprised me in pre-season when he put me as the second striker.

“I’ve come to play on the wings with the freedom to move inside, but Wenger has immediately put me in this position. With Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky and Wilshere, who is recovering from injury, we’re going to have a lot of the ball.”

Cazorla went on to hail his compatriot Mikel Arteta for helping him adapt to the English style of play so quickly.

“Arteta has advised me a lot, he told me football is much faster and less tactical than Spain. It’s more give and go," he added.

“Mikel [Arteta] has helped me to learn to see the game and said that if we play rapidly with the ball we’re going to create a lot of danger and we’ll beat most teams.

“Wenger wants him [Arteta] now as a defensive pivot and he’s doing it very well. He gives real balance and he can win the ball back and play it out because with the ball he’s spectacular."

gun__1347360525_ea_potm_cazorla.jpg

Santi Cazorla is the EA SPORTS Player of the Month.

The Spain international has won our first award of the season by a landslide following a superb start to his Arsenal career.

Santi caught the eye on his debut against Sunderland, creating the game's best chance for Olivier Giroud and going close to a goal himself on a number of occasions.

The playmaker was at the heart of Arsenal's best attacking moments at Stoke City too before providing a goal and an assist at Liverpool.

Abou Diaby also made a strong start to the campaign - finding his fitness and form in the Premier League. He was rewarded with second place in our poll, just ahead of Mikel Arteta.

AUGUST PLAYER OF THE MONTH RESULT

Santi Cazorla 72.3%

Abou Diaby 9%

Mikel Arteta 5.4%

Others 13.3%

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Harsh to criticise him

Got shunned from 10 to left wing because of the late Ozil signing

Yet his performances were still judged on the criteria used to measure the performance of a 10 whilst also being judge on playing LM/LW and tracking back

Then on top of that not having a striker who plays off the shoulder of defenders and pulls them back to make space, along with Wallys injury which took away alot of pace from your play and made Carzola stand out even more

Still think you would have been better off signing a world class winger for 40 mill earlier in the summer and kept Carzola in the middle before deciding whether to sign Ozil or not

Guest thinkingthugswife

Harsh to criticise him

Got shunned from 10 to left wing because of the late Ozil signing

Yet his performances were still judged on the criteria used to measure the performance of a 10 whilst also being judge on playing LM/LW and tracking back

Then on top of that not having a striker who plays off the shoulder of defenders and pulls them back to make space, along with Wallys injury which took away alot of pace from your play and made Carzola stand out even more

Still think you would have been better off signing a world class winger for 40 mill earlier in the summer and kept Carzola in the middle before deciding whether to sign Ozil or not

Customary top 4 finish and a trophy. Ozil signing worked out nicely. Think Santi should play on the right rather than left though and get Ox or a new lad running down our left.

• 2 months later...

bruv this guy had a bludclart mare

real surprised he stayed on, didnt even improve when he came more central

sanchez might get the plaudits but debuchy n particularly chambers impressed man a lot

if we had another cb wenger cud turn him into a dm such is his ability defensively n ball handling wise

• Downvote 1