What is Bass Music?

R1.

Basically when Funky died people needed a new name to push on, and the production styles were getting a lot more varied....

kinda co-insided with dubstep heads jumping off that and producing more 4x4/dancey beat influenced tracks

so basically its bass driven house & garage music between 130-140.

not realy feeling magazine and clueless journalists using it as genre class tbh, to me its just a umbrella.

• Upvote 1

JR-Jackmaster

BT-Ben UFO

SB-Oneman

How do you guys feel about the term “UK bass music”?

JR: I hate it. It makes out that what we do is stupid. I don’t have any ideas on how better to classify it. What about you, Ben?

BT: I’m not into it, but I’m not sure I’d be into anything, really.

JR: Certain genre names and classifications are necessary for a healthy discussion of the music. But the term “bass music” makes it harder, almost, because you’re trying to put all these things under one big umbrella.

BT: And we don’t make it easy by playing so much different stuff.

JR: Some of the stuff I play in my DJ sets you could call bass music. When someone asks me what I play I kind of go off for 10 seconds, then just say house.

BT: With bass music, I think trying to put it all under one name is an arrogant thing to do anyway. Because we’re playing so much older stuff. What we do almost has more in common with older-style DJs.

JR: When does it become bass music? Does it become bass music when one of us plays it? Or when Hyperdub releases it, is it then bass music?

BT: That’s also kind of an arrogant thing were we to claim that.

Steve Bishop: I prefer the term UK house, because UK house never had the chance. I think the time feels about right to just call it that, if anything. The sound I’m really into at the moment, which is kind of what we all do, is a marriage of garage, jungle, dubstep, broken beat—it all falls into underground music from London. I don’t know if that should have a name. The [thing about] ‘future garage’ which always annoys me is that there’s garage going on still.

Do you feel the same about “post-dubstep”?

SB: If someone says to me, "What is post-dubstep?", I’d say it’s like…dubstep with singing on it or something. I don’t know what it is.

BT: Post-dubstep in particular just means f*ck all.

SB: It’s just another buzzword.

JR: In a way, I think UK bass conjures up images of kids at New Years, just really stupid. And when I hear post-dubstep, I feel like it’s taking itself too seriously.

http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2011/05/full-house-jackmaster-oneman-and

not realy feeling magazine and clueless journalists using it as genre class tbh, to me its just a umbrella.

i would rather ppl just called the whole garage/dubstep/grime etc.... bass music coz the one thing it all has in common is the fact it's bassy, whenever i make a mix i tag it as bass music coz there's a lot of diff genres in there. it's better than future garage or post dubstep or them dumb names, at least this way things don't get boxed up.

JR-Jackmaster

BT-Ben UFO

SB-Oneman

How do you guys feel about the term “UK bass music”?

JR: I hate it. It makes out that what we do is stupid. I don’t have any ideas on how better to classify it. What about you, Ben?

BT: I’m not into it, but I’m not sure I’d be into anything, really.

JR: Certain genre names and classifications are necessary for a healthy discussion of the music. But the term “bass music” makes it harder, almost, because you’re trying to put all these things under one big umbrella.

BT: And we don’t make it easy by playing so much different stuff.

JR: Some of the stuff I play in my DJ sets you could call bass music. When someone asks me what I play I kind of go off for 10 seconds, then just say house.

BT: With bass music, I think trying to put it all under one name is an arrogant thing to do anyway. Because we’re playing so much older stuff. What we do almost has more in common with older-style DJs.

JR: When does it become bass music? Does it become bass music when one of us plays it? Or when Hyperdub releases it, is it then bass music?

BT: That’s also kind of an arrogant thing were we to claim that.

Steve Bishop: I prefer the term UK house, because UK house never had the chance. I think the time feels about right to just call it that, if anything. The sound I’m really into at the moment, which is kind of what we all do, is a marriage of garage, jungle, dubstep, broken beat—it all falls into underground music from London. I don’t know if that should have a name. The [thing about] ‘future garage’ which always annoys me is that there’s garage going on still.

Do you feel the same about “post-dubstep”?

SB: If someone says to me, "What is post-dubstep?", I’d say it’s like…dubstep with singing on it or something. I don’t know what it is.

BT: Post-dubstep in particular just means f*ck all.

SB: It’s just another buzzword.

JR: In a way, I think UK bass conjures up images of kids at New Years, just really stupid. And when I hear post-dubstep, I feel like it’s taking itself too seriously.

http://www.xlr8r.com...ster-oneman-and

The irony of this being in XLR8R, the magazine that essentially gave the sound known as 'dubstep' a name. I know what is meant by post-dubstep, I think I consider it more post-Skrillex tbh.

Oneman can f*ck off about 'music from London' too. I think he's taking himself too seriously with that one, especially seeing as he doesn't make any music himself. Come like he's never heard a J. Sparrow or Lil' Silva beat. Nutter.

Bass music is probably the broadest term I've ever heard used to describe a sound. It only works as an umbrella for about 3/4 different sounds.

I consider bass music anything from 120bpm to 180bpm, British (or not, as long as there is an attempt to relate to the 'sound'), with some decent <120hz frequencies.

i would rather ppl just called the whole garage/dubstep/grime etc.... bass music coz the one thing it all has in common is the fact it's bassy, whenever i make a mix i tag it as bass music coz there's a lot of diff genres in there. it's better than future garage or post dubstep or them dumb names, at least this way things don't get boxed up.

would call garage a 'bass music' anyway... got so many more important elements, its not just driven by bass.

would call garage a 'bass music' anyway... got so many more important elements, its not just driven by bass.

for sure man

/

c/s it not being london-centric, i would say Bristol is as important.

no, leave that in general. dnb can pass tho.