Ghanian and Nigerians your secret has been found out

The Somalian

I remember my bredrin telling me he eat dog in Nigeria but f*ck*ng rats on sale in Hackney. Any of you man eat this? Captain Planet or flat Eric? Or are you going to blame this on bush people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19622903

Illegal rat meat 'sold to public' in Ridley Road Market

By Guy Lynn BBC News, London

_62936537_62936536.jpg An undercover researcher bought a rat at a shop in DalstonContinue reading the main story

Related Stories

Rats and "shocking" quantities of illegal and "potentially unsafe" meat have been sold to the public in east London, a BBC London undercover investigation has found.

Secret filming in one of the capital's busiest food markets has revealed butchers and food stores prepared to sell large quantities of meat that break food safety laws.

West African and environmental health officer sources told the BBC the Ridley Road Market, in Dalston, was a known hotbed of illicit meat activity, including sales of illegal "smokies", a delicacy made by charring sheep or goat wth a blow torch.

Yet a Freedom of Information request to Hackney Council reveals the last enforcement visits to premises concerning illegal meat in the whole borough took place in 2009.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

It is disgusting and outrageous that the local authorities don't take action”

End Quote Dr Yunes Teinaz Environmental health expert

"This is shocking, I am just so shocked to see so much of it," said Paul Povey, one of the UK's leading experts in meat hygiene and inspections and a member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, who examined the meat for the BBC.

"It's all illegal and hasn't undergone health control, hasn't been inspected and may well be contaminated.

"You've got to wonder about the contamination level of this meat that anyone's bringing into their kitchens."

Hackney Council said it had only received one complaint of illegal meat being sold since 2009 which was not proven.

'There will be trouble'

_62941358_lotofmeat.jpg

An expert in meat hygiene said the meat may have been contaminated

The practice of creating "smokies" is outlawed under UK and European food laws amid fears about public safety and animal welfare.

It has also been linked to mafia-style gangs in Wales who steal sheep and goats, slaughtering them in unlicensed abattoirs.

Dr Yunes Teinaz, a chartered environmental health practitioner, said: "Behind the underground trade in smokies are criminals who don't observe the law and are just after financial gain.

"It is disgusting and outrageous that the local authorities don't take action and remove this meat from the human food chain."

One Hackney butcher, who was secretly filmed selling a BBC researcher quantities of the illicit meat, said: "Don't tell anyone, otherwise there will be trouble."

Two African food stores have sold bush meat such as "grass cutter" or cane rats, which are described as having been imported from Ghana where they are a delicacy.

'Collapsing a business'

The trade in bush meat is a persistent problem for the UK authorities with illegal meat products smuggled in by passengers in ferry terminals and airports.

The Food Standards Agency says there are worries that bush meat could be of serious risk to both those who eat it and to others from contamination.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

What you are saying is a lie, a 100% lie, I don't sell rats.”

End Quote Manager Adom Trading

There is no suggestion that every butcher and food shop on the Ridley Road Market is prepared to deal in illegal meat.

Confronted with BBC London's evidence, Islam Halal Meat; Punjab Halal Meat and Fish and Dalston Butchers denied they were selling illegal meat.

The manager of Great Expectations, a food store which sold two Ghanaian rats to the undercover BBC researcher, said: "I don't sell rats, I never sell rats, I don't sell rats.

"I don't have any rats, why you come to video me?"

The manager of Adom Trading, another shop that sold bush meat described as a Ghanaian "grass cutter" rat, also denied selling it.

"What you are saying is a lie, a 100% lie, I don't sell rats.

"You are collapsing a business, do you know how much it costs us to pay the business rates?"

Councillor Feryal Demirci, Hackney Council's Cabinet Member for Safer Neighbourhoods, said: "Hackney Council's team of Environmental Health Officers make regular visits and inspections of over 1,000 businesses across the borough, including those on Ridley Road.

"Since 2009, we have only received a single complaint regarding the sale of illegal meat, which upon investigation was inconclusive.

"However, we take all complaints seriously and we will always investigate fully. Now that we have received some information from the BBC we will look into this and take the appropriate action."

• Upvote 1

it claims in that article that its sold in a halal butcher, but its haram to eat meat of any fanged animal, standard rats are fanged so im assuming the bush rats are too, so either bbc have their facts wrong or those butchers may aswell be selling bacon and could be making the rest of the halal meat haram.

• Upvote 4

grass cutter is peng, thought i was eating mutton till they told me. they get bred in cages and reared like the normal animals people eat so its not like youre eating some bubonic plague carrying daemon spawn.

allow the bush rats though, saw one get macheted down in my uncles compound when i was in gh then the watchmen started roasting it i was like f*ck daaaat.

grass cutter is peng, thought i was eating mutton till they told me. they get bred in cages and reared like the normal animals people eat so its not like youre eating some bubonic plague carrying daemon spawn.

allow the bush rats though, saw one get macheted down in my uncles compound when i was in gh then the watchmen started roasting it i was like f*ck daaaat.

So when I go to man dems yard and they are feeding me that meat with the pounded yam that taste like mutton is in fact this rat? It taste nice I will admit it but low it.

it claims in that article that its sold in a halal butcher, but its haram to eat meat of any fanged animal, standard rats are fanged so im assuming the bush rats are too, so either bbc have their facts wrong or those butchers may aswell be selling bacon and could be making the rest of the halal meat haram.

They are herbivores so I doubt they are fanged, but I could be wrong

bun dat

and allow people who jus raggo eat miscellaneous meats

what you eating?

answer: meat

ridiculous

Nah it's not as simple as that we live in a civilised country so you think your being fed proper meat not some food man hunts with a spear for like a savage

Saying that I thought McDonald's was selling me a beef burger with my breakfast for years then found out it is pork sausage

bun dat

and allow people who jus raggo eat miscellaneous meats

what you eating?

answer: meat

ridiculous

i see what your saying but who decided chicken is an acceptable meat? or lamb? or goat? It's all just perception from what we've seen as normal growing up.