english culture

local

wrote out a mini essay n the topic got locked n stacks cant receive messages

f*ck the system

culture is essentially the underlying concept of anthropology, it's basically the learned behaviour of an individual group of people, cuisine and sports are a part of this but it doesn't define culture

due to various factors, including increased urbanisation, technological globalisation, intrusive marketing and everyone's favourite immigration, english culture has been / is being replaced by a homogenous material culture found in most of europe and the developed world

traditionally we are a civilised, hard working, stiff upper lipped, alcohol reliant people who like to keep their garden's tidy

i'm not sure if we officially exist any more tbh

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

F.A.O Stack Branning

I was in the middle of writing a response on my phone but the stupid topic you made had already been locked.

I think if anything your topic revealed your ignorance and the type of social circles you immerse yourself within if you believe primitive activities such as Binge drinking and Football are the show piece of british culture. You live in one of the worlds most culturally rich countries yet you come out with this tomfoolery.

So I can only assume you have never spent a day in the Tate modern or the National Gallery. Or had an evening out watching a play in the west end? Or you have never attended the royal Albert hall for a concert? Or spent a lazy day in Kew gardens or visited many of the great castles we have in this great country of ours? Have you never had a holiday in Devon or Cornwall having a country walk eating Scones and Home made Jam. I take it a wet weekend in Southend or Margate is more of your thing?

The sooner you leave my country the better. I am seething at the distain you show my country. You horrible person.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

i also wrote something about english culture to then find it locked, but yea if i look at culture in terms of how i look at other countries culture, of course there is an english culture, there is great literature such as shakespeare and d*ckens etc, great traditional architecture, traditional costumes through the ages, and in different regions you'll find different things such as clotted cream scones in devon.

Beer and fish n chips are also quite famous i guess.

I think esq was right when he said if u leave london u see it more.

By beer i assume you mean Ale,

couple years ago me and couple friends went top Whetherspoons whilst there was one of the Ale festivals, they were selling 3 pints for the price of 1 so we bought.

The worst thing I've ever tasted,

avoided it till last season when i was at FC United match, Joesph Holt ale>>>>> tastes Better than beer, light and doesn't leave you with that blotted heavy feeling.

English culture has suffered 1,due to not adapting to the time, You see people Morris Dancing in the street and you look at it like what the f*ck is that, people laugh and take the piss.

2, English people not taking themselves very seriously, so things like Morris dancing is looked at as just being a bit of fun. Plus the influx of other more "trendy" cultures has seen it all left behind,

this ties in to the thread a few months ago about being proud of being British/English.

i personally don't really care because aside from going to the football and enjoying a drink i don't buy into any other form, but i sort of understand why the BNP types get all pissy about a lack of traditional English influence in Music, Dance, General life and so on.

English Culture and traditions is something i'm going to look into someday because despite living here all my life i don't really know much about it. aside from the obvious,

• Downvote 1

could have been interesting but i'm guessin its cos petercrotch's intentions were not to stimulate debate but to belittle the people of england

i'd like for petercrotch to tell us where his mum n dad are from n what the culture of their homeland is

When was the last time i made one of those threads ?

It was a genuine question because i can't quite put my finger on what is English culture

F.A.O Stack Branning

I was in the middle of writing a response on my phone but the stupid topic you made had already been locked.

I think if anything your topic revealed your ignorance and the type of social circles you immerse yourself within if you believe primitive activities such as Binge drinking and Football are the show piece of british culture. You live in one of the worlds most culturally rich countries yet you come out with this tomfoolery.

So I can only assume you have never spent a day in the Tate modern or the National Gallery. Or had an evening out watching a play in the west end? Or you have never attended the royal Albert hall for a concert? Or spent a lazy day in Kew gardens or visited many of the great castles we have in this great country of ours? Have you never had a holiday in Devon or Cornwall having a country walk eating Scones and Home made Jam. I take it a wet weekend in Southend or Margate is more of your thing?

The sooner you leave my country the better. I am seething at the distain you show my country. You horrible person.

I Dont think its ignorant atall to include binge drinking .

I think quite a handful of english people would agree with me aswell

infamous n kompressor are talking about culture too narrowly, as in outdated traditions and history

it aint all about dancing around the maypole

you both probably use the tube, u speak the language, use the alphabet, get paid in sterling, probably have xmas dinner

n u both watch the same sh*t on the tv and at the cinema, which literally creates the moral deficient homogenous material culture that allows big businesses to continue profiting from our bleak manufactured existence, they've mastered it in america n now it's bein imported everywhere else

modern english culture is all around you, whether its something to be proud of and passed down to our children is a different matter

contrast the food we eat with past generations

the intrusive laws and regulations and overly governed way of modern life, the education of our young, the standard architecture - not gimmicky 1 offs like the shard but the cheap n ugly new built houses everywhere, art - music, film, tv, most profit-based media = hollow marketing

we're goin backwards

stacks u can't put your finger on "what is english culture" because culture is a complex broad intangible subject so ur limited intelligence will not allow it

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

not even just the ugliness either, alot of cases they're just standardly poorly built pieces of sh*t

f*ck ever buying new

just another example of big businesses n government policy raping the average john

planet there'll be a point in ur life when you realise i'm correct about the majority of things ever

none of this "he's right on this one tho" like in the arab thread, i'm only wrong when ur blinded by ur biases

• Upvote 2

You can't define a culture by listing a set of activities.

It annoys me when people say "it's so hard to define English culture." Same people that define French culture as baguettes and red wine. Obviously u can't define an entire culture in a few words.

Sports and drinking are pasttimes in almost every country

• Upvote 3

infamous n kompressor are talking about culture too narrowly, as in outdated traditions and history

it aint all about dancing around the maypole

you both probably use the tube, u speak the language, use the alphabet, get paid in sterling, probably have xmas dinner

n u both watch the same sh*t on the tv and at the cinema, which literally creates the moral deficient homogenous material culture that allows big businesses to continue profiting from our bleak manufactured existence, they've mastered it in america n now it's bein imported everywhere else

modern english culture is all around you, whether its something to be proud of and passed down to our children is a different matter

contrast the food we eat with past generations

the intrusive laws and regulations and overly governed way of modern life, the education of our young, the standard architecture - not gimmicky 1 offs like the shard but the cheap n ugly new built houses everywhere, art - music, film, tv, most profit-based media = hollow marketing

we're goin backwards

stacks u can't put your finger on "what is english culture" because culture is a complex broad intangible subject so ur limited intelligence will not allow it

Very good points,

Guess a lot comes down to the definition of culture, I think of traditions passed through generations as being one of the things that makes up a culture among other things.

That's why I'm saying I'll probably have to look into it, as I guess you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers so it's all about forming your own opinions.

england doesnt have a culture

if england does have a culture it is small bits taken form other countries/continents and "england" "britain" has made it their "own" culture etc etc

like certain foods "english" people love to eat... its not even english, it comes from some place in europe.

• Downvote 3