Studio Room roll-call/resuscitation thread

Elementalism

Yeah so who still checks this place then? This section should be bubbling!

If you are actively making music in 2012 and you see this thread, don't just lurk! I think the reason people don't check in here is because it's a subforum, I PMed Faze to see if he can switch it into a room of its own...If the deevz and geekz can have it, us producers should have it too!

Also I think the way people just post 'gimme feedback' type threads puts people off, we should have a thread for feedback on works in progress/most recent tunes to keep things tidy, and post more stuff to do with technology, music theory etc.

Just my thoughts though, feel free to drop yours and let's try get this place up and running correct!

To start off with, post what DAW you use or instrument you play, how competent you are with it, and what sort of music you make and we'll go from there.

/

I run FL Studio, and I'm learning keys at the moment.

Advanced, been using FL about 10 years, but learnt most in the past 3. Novice on the keys, but picking it up quickly.

Started off making sample based hip-hop, progressed to 140 bass stuff, funky/soulful/techy/garagey kinda sounds.

This forum is too out of the way I never bother coming in any more.

/

I use Cubase 5 + midi keyboard, sometimes rewire to reason, been doing it for years now.

I know my way around them. I don't read music, I just improvise. I learned a lot of chords and just took it from there. The music I make is not about complex melodies anyway.

I make ambient, spacey kind of stuff.

the hip hop room seems to be live still

aint really put anything out gave this old track I made couple years ago to few grime dj's had some decent air play

Want to jump on the garage 4x4 production again and play my own type of sound, Faze got me listening to that Bicep guy, love his productions

this is the last garage 4x4 I done

[media=]http://soundcloud.com/madvybez/sweet-sensation-remix-funk-4x4

282087_229448760424211_6663563_n.jpg

184126_226826527353101_910714_n.jpg

Using Logic and Reason, mainly make bass stuff, anything between 130 and 145. Don't play an instrument but i'm still determined to learn the piano, i think it's a bit corny to claim the decks as an instrument lol. Need a new controller as well, mine is busted.

Need to update my soundcloud:

and my mixcloud:

http://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bmc/

Dinky

Sweet Sensation remix is sick

Would go sick at a house/garage event in a warm up set, would get the wall flowers on the D floor

You should make it end properly so you can mix out of it nice

EDIT

just clocked its released seen, nicee

took a huge break bout 2 years ago when my daughter was born.just was not on it but started again recent even though i got noware to put my monitors decided to finally leave reason behind for good and jump to cubase

having issues leaving my refills lol doing rewire on everything lol I hate how un fluid cubase is but Im trying the find the best way i can make beats quickly using it

Logic has been an annoying jump from Fruity. Think I might install Ableton and give that another go.

Nah you're mad, stick at it. Logic is the sh*t, you just need to get your head around it. Rewire if necessary, my boy was having trouble making basslines in it when he started, so he rewired Reason so he could use Subtractor within Logic.

Nothing beats it in easy/fast composition of ideas. You can criticise its lack of ability to build proper grooves but that's stuff left for later.

FL is mad intuitive. I'm gonna stick with FL10, not keen on the new playlist they're rolling out with FL11, been running it in legacy mode recently.

Lads...

Now people are viewing this section a little more, who's up for a little 64 bar beatmaking challenge?

We could all agree on a set of basic kick, snare, hi-hat, shaker, and allow for the addition of a maximum choice of two of your owns samps (percussion only), and a fixed harmonic structure (i.e. C Major/A Minor - all the white keys).

16/8 bar intro

32 bar verse

16/24 bar outro

Post up what you've made, get feedback, etc. Would allow for people to enquire about specific things on something we'd all roughly have an idea about...

• Upvote 1

Reason is easier to master, and you also get a better understanding of how everything is routed (which allows you to understand a hardware studio environment and even other programs better) - but I think FL is easier once you know what you're doing.