Racism In Football

Admin.

• 1 month later...
Guest babatundestacks
Former Arsenal player Emmanuel Frimpong was sent off playing for Russian side FC Ufa after he gestured to the crowd with his middle finger in response to alleged monkey chants.

Ā 

The midfielder, 23, was playing away to Spartak Moscow in the opening game of the Russian Premier League season.

Ā 

"When the match was stopped, the fans started shouting 'monkey' at me," said Ghana's Frimpong after the 2-2 draw.

Ā 

"I just did not keep my cool, I showed my emotions and it was my mistake."

Ā 

Frimpong was shown the red card after half an hour of the game in Moscow, with the score at 1-1.

Ā 

He wrote on Twitter after the match: "A human being shouldn't be racially abused for the game that I love. I'm going to serve a sentence for being abused."

Ā 

Ufa general director Shamil Gazizov said his club would not be calling for Spartak to be punished, describing it as an "unfortunate incident".

Ā 

"There were people who could have shouted things. These are emotions which go away after the game. We are partners with the red and whites and are on good terms," he said.

Ā 

"What Frimpong did was wrong. Sometimes you even have to hold back the tears and just put up with it."

Ā 

Russia hosts the next World Cup in 2018, and Frimpong added: "Abused... and yet we going to hold a World Cup in this country where Africans will have to come play football."

Ā 

Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure, who has been racially abused while playing in Russia in the Champions League, has previously said black players might boycott the World Cup unless the country tackles racism in football.

Ā 

Last season, Torpedo Moscow's Congolese defender Christopher Samba was banned for two matches for gesturing to fans following racist abuse.

Ā 

There have been more than 200 cases of discriminatory behaviourlinked to Russian football over the past two seasons.

Ā 

But in March former head of Russian football Vyacheslav Koloskov said too much is made of racism in the country and has also questioned why monkey chants are assumed to be racist.

Ufa general director Shamil Gazizov said his club would not be calling for Spartak to be punished, describing it as an "unfortunate incident".

Ā 
"We are partners with the red and whites and are on good terms," he said.
Ā 
"What Frimpong did was wrong. Sometimes you even have to hold back the tears and just put up with it."

Ā 

wtfclips.0_standard_730.0.gif

• Upvote 3

Career go down the pan? Let's be real he's always been shit.

And the irony is hes getting abused at a well known Russian club and getting no backing from the board and it should run?!?

Cp tries so hard to be niall

:rolleyes:

You're trying too hard to say I'm trying to be Niall... Though I occasionally like to draw that comparison intentionally for my own amusement please don't confuse those occasions and these.

It appears that TG was suggesting that I and others were saying he should settle for the racism. I'm saying that was not not the point but rather he should not have let things get to the point where he is playing for that particular club in a less than welcoming environment in the first place. If he had preserved some sort of reputation surely he would at least be kicking Championship ball with the likes of Wolves etc.

Stop over-scrutinising my posts because it is embarrassing, seriously.

• Downvote 3

Nobody forced him to go and play in Russia

What does this mean?

Everybody knows how ethics are treated in Russia

The fans, media, police, football clubs or Russian fa give zero fucks about racism

By going somewhere like Russia to kick ball racism is to be expected, something Frimpong would've known

You got Russians protesting and shouting about killing "niggers" and "monkeys" ffs whilst walking through the street

My circle isn't even on going to watch the world cup over there due to the accepted racism, this guy chose to play for a league team

• Downvote 2

Serves frimpong right for trying to earn a living

• Upvote 5