Savita Halappanavar

Mame Biram Diouf

1224326589176.jpg?ts=1352910011

In the worst way possible, a woman refused a life-saving abortion in Ireland has proved 'pro-life' advocates wrong

"This is a Catholic country," was what Irish doctors told Savita Halappanavar after she learned she was miscarrying her pregnancy and asked for an abortion to avoid further complications. She spent three days in agonising pain, eventually shaking, vomiting and passing out. She again asked for an abortion and was refused, because the foetus still had a heartbeat.

Then she died.

She died of septicaemia and E Coli. She died after three and a half days of excruciating pain. She died after repeatedly begging for an end to the pregnancy that was poisoning her. Her death would have been avoided if she had been given an abortion when she asked for it – when it was clear she was miscarrying, and that non-intervention would put her at risk. But the foetus, which had no chance of survival, still had a heartbeat. Its right to life quite literally trumped hers.

US politicians and "pro-life" advocates like Joe Walsh will tell you that there are no circumstances under which women need abortions to avoid death or injury. The Republican platform doesn't include an exception for medically necessary abortion. And the Republican party is trying to put laws similar to those in Ireland on the books in the United States – laws that would allow emergency room doctors to refuse to perform abortions, even in cases where the pregnant woman's life or health depends on terminating the pregnancy. The GOP isn't exactly the most science-friendly or fact-reliant crowd in the world, but to them, women like Savita either don't exist or just don't matter. As Jodie at RH Reality Check writes:

"These are the lives of your sister, your mother, your daughter, your aunt, your friends, and your colleagues. These are the lives at stake. These are the very people that the fanatical anti-choice and religious right see as 'not people'.

They are all Savita Halappanavar.

We are all Savita Halappanavar.

But we do not have to die at the hands of misogynists.

In honour of Savita Halappanavar; in honour of the nearly 22 million women worldwide each year who endure unsafe abortion; in honour of the 47,000 women per year worldwide who die from complications of unsafe abortion and the estimated 10 times that number who suffer long-term health consequences; in honour of the millions of women who do not have access to contraception, who have no control over whether and with whom they have sex or whether or with whom they have children, we can fight back. In honour of the young girls married young and the women forced to bear children long past the point they are able to care for more … for all these women, we must continue to act, to liberalise abortion laws, ensure every woman has access, remove the stigma, and trust women, like Savita, who know when it is time to end even the most wanted pregnancy."

Just two months ago, a consortium of Irish doctors got together todeclare abortion medically unnecessary. They claimed that abortion is never needed to save a pregnant woman's life, and stated: "We confirm that the prohibition of abortion does not affect, in any way, the availability of optimal care to pregnant women."

I'm pretty sure Savita Halappanavar would disagree. I'm pretty sure she didn't get optimal care.

So sad

:(

my knee jerk reaction is to say she should f*ck off back to india if she wants to live in a country that allows abortions

but then i realise its just this jewish feminist journalist exploiting this woman's death to advance her tribe's political agenda

plus if we allow this scum to spread marxism around the globe in the name of the west (ie gay rights) then we can hardly be surprised when it happens here

what more of a perfect example could be used, immigrant dies thanks to catholicism

i imagine everyone on this forum is pro choice

• Downvote 1

my knee jerk reaction is to say she should f*ck off back to india if she wants to live in a country that allows abortions

but then i realise its just this jewish feminist journalist exploiting this woman's death to advance her tribe's political agenda

plus if we allow this scum to spread marxism around the globe in the name of the west (ie gay rights) then we can hardly be surprised when it happens here

what more of a perfect example could be used, immigrant dies thanks to catholicism

i imagine everyone on this forum is pro choice

cant really tell anyone what to do with their body

besides, this aint exactly a pro life issue is it? the featus was dead, so what was the point of leaving it there? pretty sure thats negligent homicide or something

your tr0ll game is on point still

Guest Chelsea Jack

As a catholic i'm against abortion, only the omnipotent lord Jesus Christ has the right to end life, it is not man's prerogative to do so

it was god's will for her to die

the lords plans are often very difficult to comprehend and at times it's best we don't question them

he can be the most belligerent and also the most loving

perhaps this woman was a wretched sinner and the lord chose to punish her accordingly

cant really tell anyone what to do with their body

besides, this aint exactly a pro life issue is it? the featus was dead, so what was the point of leaving it there? pretty sure thats negligent homicide or something

your tr0ll game is on point still

the baby wasnt dead

the guardian reporter jus described it as a foetus even though it was still alive

u call me a trowl when ur gettin trowld by this american journalist with a jewish name who runs a feminist blog (http://www.feministe.us/blog/) trying to tell ireland how to run itself

no cited evidence but apparently "no chance of survival"

the baby wouldnt have survived out it's mother and that would have been homicide

read her blog n the abortion pushing organisation the big quote is from "rh reality check"

bunch of men hating nutjobs set on killing babies and preventing pregnancy

twisting stories to suit them, ignoring reality, like petercrotch n his black solidarity but not retarded

population control basically bein labelled as a righteous campaign for sexual and reproductive rights

i aint even against abortion really i jus find it all a bit wrong