Blacks pon di forum . Marriage just does not seem to be for us

stacksbranning

Ralph Richard Banks, a Stanford Law Professor, examines race and marriage in his latest book "Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone."

He notes that more than two out of every three African American Women are unmarried. Nearly twice the number of African American women than men graduate from college and 70% of African American children are born to un-wed parents.

Mr. Banks takes a controversial stance by suggesting that African American women should seek marriage outside of their race.

In the video above he presents data regarding race and marriage filtered through his lens of restitution. He believes that many African American women are unable to find suitable spouses and instead of valuing education and class over race, they would rather seek an African American husband in a lower tier than an interracial relationship.

Thinking about his stance via a supply and demand framework results in African American women having more opportunities for relationships with a decrease in demand for African American men. African American women will find that they have more power within relationships once the demand is lessened on African American men.

Some might argue that we should work towards changing some of the societal injustices that have resulted in fewer available African American men. Perhaps African American women should expand their search radius beyond America's borders? You might even argue that blame should not be placed on racially minded African American women but with prevailing standards of beauty and race that present African American women as less beautiful and desirous than other women.

Whatever your stance is on the issue, it's clear, as Mr. Banks points out, that marriage is on the decline for everyone in America and that children are the ones who lose out in the end.

Black people do you want to get married ?

For some reason it seems like we are scared of commitment and i want to know why that is ?

Half of me says i am not one to get exited at the prospect of getting married ,because one i have trust issues and two i have come to the conclusion that the more people in your life the more problems you have, but at the same time the other half says it good for to bring up kids with a madre and a papa .

Also me getting married depends on whether my wife will be willing to put up with my bullshit i.e cheating and whether she will be willing to sign a prenup

Do you see yourself getting married ?

tbh i think its all people with no religious faith, not a particular race.

If u look at practising muslims, christians and jews, marriage is seen as part of the religion, and divorce is looked down upon.

Then u see these dumb f*ckin celebrities having their big weddings and divorcing a year later, marriage aint nothing to them.

I don't think its a race issue imo.

Pretty much agree with what timebomb said. More religious people buy into it more.

As for commitment alot of people our generation can hardly commit to anything.

A standard phone contract alone is difficult to commit to. talk less of a partner.

I don't care for marriage, effectively I dont see why I should pay so much for the homour.

This

I know few guys who have got married and that marraige fund account saved for years pure sacrifice's for one day

Yeah maybe the credit crunch has played a part.

Big wedding, rings, honeymoon, sh*t must cost a bomb.

Credit crunch has reduced the cost of weddings tbh, as people was taking the piss, so for the sake of getting business they reduced the amount of p sucking, but the mere fact they doing that is why I again I dont see why I should pay so much for the honour.

Another bug bearer is the cost of funerals. I'm dead, why it cost so much to bury me.

Guest Chelsea Jack

i may put it in my will to just put me in a bin bag and drop me in the sea

really dont see the point of funerals

if they take me to church the coffin will prob burst into flames anyways

:rofl: