In a world of trouble!

2themax

Basically- my father is abroad for 3 months so im living at his, looking after his place etc. He has left me incharge of driving his vehicles occasionally to keep them running etc especially in this cold weather.

He is insured on the vehicle 3rd party, i am insured on my own vehicle 3rd party and as far as i can tell, you insure the vehicle not the person who owns it..so say hes given me permission then i am insured for that time (only if we live in seperate houses and im over 21, which is all true) He has given me permission to drive his vehicle, so i did so today. Was going down a small back road (very icy) when a jag comes round the corner, within the speed limit but too quick imo for the sheer ice conditions.

He slams the brakes on, i do the same...hes coming down hill im going up and both vehicles collide, his coming off worse due to the one im driving is an l200 4x4.

We exchanged details, i have him my name and address and also my dads and explained it was my dads truck not mine and left it at that, we were all uninjured, and drove the 2 miles back at 5mph.

my dads vehicle needs new bumper, front wing and new suspension on one side (at least)

His car needs all of that plus bonnet and headlights.

My understanding is im going to have to fork out for all damages, seeing as although the vehicle is insured, im not the driver on the policy. Is that about right? insurance company is closed until tomorrow and iv emailed my dad about it (he is going to go crazy) so as soon as i know what he says, i can contact insurance.

Should i report this to the police within 24hr to cover myself? he did say we dont need police involvment but im thinking the insurance companys will bring them in due to me driving my dads truck?