France  v  Germany 20:00
Portugal  v  Ecuador 20:45

Thursday 07th February 2013 
International Match
Trinidad & Tobago  v  Peru 00:00
Colombia  v  Guatemala 01:00

TV

i8nTZHT.png

"Fernando Torres was left off the Spain squad Friday for the team’s upcoming friendly with Uruguay.

Last year, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque dropped the Chelsea striker for friendlies against Venezuela and Panama. Torres has made the squad for all three of Spain’s World Cup qualifiers, but has only played in one, coming on late against France before the French equalized for a draw.

Del Bosque called up Malaga forward Francisco “Isco” Alarcon and Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta in the only mild surprises for a squad filled with regular faces.

Del Bosque did not include Swansea forward Miguel “Michu” Perez or promising Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas despite speculation they would get their first call ups.

The former Real Madrid coach said that Michu had earned the right to play for Spain after his excellent debut in the Premier League, but that Spain’s abundance of attacking midfielders like Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas and David Silva kept him out.

“We recognize (Michu’s) work and goals but we didn’t find space for him,” Del Bosque said. “There is a lot of competition at his position. It is impossible to make changes unless we leave out another who has already earned his spot on the team.”

Isco and Azpilicueta have made Del Bosque’s list before, but they have yet to play for Spain.

“We could have experimented more since it is a friendly, but we have two tough games against Finland and France that will mark the future of our World Cup qualifying, so we have to consider this a preparation match against a tough rival,” Del Bosque said.

Spain plays Uruguay in Doha, Qatar, on Wednesday in a warm-up for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Finland on March 22 and France three days later.

Spain will play Uruguay again in the group phase of the Confederations Cup in Brazil.

Barcelona defender Carles Puyol made the squad for the first time since missing last year’s European Championship because of injury. The game against Uruguay will be his 100th for Spain.

“We are happy he is back,” Del Bosque said. “He has always been an example for all of us.”

David Villa, Spain’s all-time leading scorer who has been reduced to a bench player this season at Barcelona, was also included. Del Bosque said that Villa was a special case given that “no player has contributed as much to the current Spanish national team.”

Del Bosque said that since the squad was just for one friendly he didn’t deem it necessary to replace injured goalkeeper Iker Casillas, who is out 2-3 months with a broken left hand. Spain will rely on goalkeepers Pepe Reina and Victor Valdes.

---

Goalkeepers: Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Ignacio Monreal (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), Francisco “Isco” Alarcon (Malaga), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Forwards: David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona)"

Good to see Azpi getting a well deserved call up been our best defender recently. 

Surprised Michu isn't in the squad.

I am glad he isn't

/

Felipe Melo has been hit with a four-match ban and a €10,000 fine after being found guilty of spitting at Beşiktaş midfielder Oğuzhan Özyakup, formerly of Arsenal.

The incident happened during Galatasaray’s 2-1 victory over rivals Besiktas last Sunday and, despite the claims made by Özyakup, Melo denies spitting at the player and vice-president Ali Dürüst has criticised the ban.

"The punishment isn't just," said Dürüst.

"Our player [Melo] did not spit at anyone, our legal team will be appealing the decision."

The former Juventus midfielder denied the claims made by Özyakup, saying there was no evidence of him doing this.

He said: "As God is my witness I did not spit at anyone, you can look at every single angle and zoom in as much as you want, there will be absolutely no footage of me spitting at anyone.”

However, Özyakup is adament that the Brazilian spat at him.

"Melo spat at me," said Özyakup.

"Fernandes and Selçuk İnan were right next to me, they saw everything, I can't understand how Melo can swear on his children that he didn't."

Whoever is charge of Chelsea next season

Courtious/De Bruyne must be starters

Lukaku has to get a few games

As for Marin? Hasn't been the same since he moved to Bremen it's a good thing Germany have produced better players in recent years

Back to De Bruyne

He is too intelligent/technical

If given the chance he will dislodge any one of Hazard Mata Oscar

I expect him to do very well in England

Holtby is very, very good. His problem is the German national team has a ridiculous level of competition in his position, but that doesn't take anything away from his quality. Excellent passer, good vision and technique and a very good shot, too. He is also a born leader, being the German U21 captain for quite a while now.