Intermittent Fasting? (Who Has Had Success With This?)

Mame Biram Diouf

Starting Your Own “IF” Lifestyle

The biggest question I have gotten since starting this blog in 2008, is how to effectively use Intermittent Fasting (also known simply as “IF”) to achieve their goals and maximum results.

These results and goals can vary by each person with fat loss, muscle gain, better health, improved performance in your sport of choice and more. With that comes the individuality of what is a person’s insulin resistance, current body composition (bodyfat%), daily lifestyle, eating habits, macronutrient ratios (carbs/protein/fat), type of exercise program, frequency and volume of training, recovery demands, and so forth.

What I am trying to hint at is that you are unlikely to find large groups of people with the exact same set of parameters and responses to an intermittent fasting protocol.

What does this mean? Well just that you need to start with a basicintermittent fasting format, and then learn how to monitor results and adjust as you go.

Even down the road things will change as you will improve health, lower insulin resistance and maybe change performance and recovery needs. So nothing is really ever just one set way (as it shouldn’t have to be). Life is dynamic (always changing and evolving) and so should be the way we see our own journey for health and fitness.

What is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?

For those that may not be familiar to the term, intermittent fasting is just taking “intermittent” times of fasting (no food) and working them into your lifestyle. This can be either daily or a couple times a week (will get into that more below).

From what I have read/learned from years of independent research on reduced calorie intake and IF (**studies listed at end), the conclusions are that using short-term fasting may be effective when it comes to:

• Reducing blood glucose and insulin levels (improving the state of the overall glucose metabolism)
  • Increasing fatty acid oxidation with increased FFAs (through increasing lipolysis hormones GH, glucagon and adrenaline)
  • Sparing and preserving muscle tissue (lean mass)
  • Increasing various health factors (lower inflammation, lower blood pressure, reduced oxidative stress, increased protection against neuro-degenerative diseases, and more)
  • Keeping the metabolism strong/healthy

There are also a multitude of lifestyle benefits such as not being a slave to eating all day long (like modern “diets” have brainwashed people into thinking…for profit), having more natural daily energy and focus, and even just learning how to enjoy eating once again (with good foods and friends).

“How do I Begin to Use Intermittent Fasting?”

Is there only one set way in which to use intermittent fasting? No, of course not.

I could easily come up with several different IF protocols based on people’s individualistic needs, lifestyle, exercise, goal, macronutrient ratios, and so forth. I am going to keep it simple and give the 2 most frequent options.

• Longer IF 1-2x a week: This is taking a longer fasting period of say for up to 24 hours and repeating 1-2x a week. Note that 24 hours is not skipping a whole day, as stopping to eat on 6pm Tues and then having your next meal at 6pm Wed is 24 hours. I usually don’t talk about anything longer than 24-32 hours for using IF, as most research is usually based on that fasting window (even if some studies have more frequency with alternate day fasting).
  • Shorter More “Daily” IF: This means that it is done more than a couple times a week with a condensed eating window and less fasting than seen above. I also like to call this “Intermittent Feeding” instead of fasting. For example someone could be eating their calories in a 8-6 hour window more daily (and the fasting does happen around it).

With those approaches there are still many variables to include such as calories, activity/exercise, recovery needs, food choices, etc. In the end it is still about finding a way that does work for you. Picking the approach you think fits around your lifestyle best is going to lead to better results. Here are some of the pros and cons of each approach for you to consider.

Longer (24 hr) Intermittent Fasting 1-2x a week:

Some of the pros are:

• Allows a person to make sure they are getting enough calories on the non-fasting days (as it is not supposed to be a “crash diet” overall…that never works)
  • Keeps meals simple on days that you use IF (usually just one main meal later in a day)
  • Pretty much allows you to eat “as normal” on other days (perhaps a better starting point for those that don’t want to change that up just now)

Some of the cons can be:

• Still chance of overeating after a longer fast, making weight loss benefits not happen (calorie excess overall)
  • Less of a focus on daily healthy food choices (as even a skinny person can get heart disease and cancer)
  • Longer fasts are a bigger stress on the body, and may not be suitable for people who have already a high stress load or metabolic/blood sugar/health* concerns
  • May not work well with an already active lifestyle (excess stress overload and/or not enough nutrients for recovery)
More “Daily” Intermittent Fasting (or “Feeding”):

Some of the pros are:

• Keeps eating schedule simple and more consistent (day after day)
  • Helps to break free from the mental concept of “needing” to eat all the time
  • Focuses more on the importance of nutrients and healthier food choices each day
  • Reduces the importance of “snacking” (which is a HUGE hidden factor leading to many weight issues nowadays)
  • Intermittent shorter fasting windows may be a less stressfulstarting approach for those with metabolic/blood sugar/health* concerns
  • Helps to focus also on lifestyle and stress balance overall to make it successful (which is all part of the equation)

Some of the cons can be:

• Can possibly cause weight loss plateau if calories are still too lowfor too long (again not meant to be a “crash diet”)
  • May not be suitable for people with high calorie demands (activity) and still not eating enough overall
Wrapping it Up

Over the years I have adapted more of the “daily” IF approachwithout really planning. I like the more consistent daily strategy and freedom.

I eat anywhere from 6-10 hours a day feeding window with 2-3 meals, and then not worry about food outside of that. I focus more on healthy foods and the results come, while still being able to enjoy other splurges when I go out and eat/socialize. I’m not a slave to some mentality of “needing” to eat all day and enjoy the freedom that comes with that.

Heck sometimes on occasion I may even work in a 24 hour fast just because of my schedule, but there is more flexibility to how I eat now. Ilisten to my body and know what is right for me. Staying lean year round is easy once you can do that.

The key part of the IF experience is just starting with it and seeing how it works for you. Knowing how to change things up when they aren’t working. Making a lifestyle solution and not needing anyone to tell you how to eat again. That is how you find that freedom and results that last.

Worked for alot of my friends, they all swear by it. It is hard but the results are good.

I've always wanted to try it but my shifts at work change from afternoons to evenings therefore its annoying to find a proper eating window so i use carb cycling whichi s equally as good.

I start my new job next week, fixed hours so that means its intermittent fasting time.

• 2 months later...

Did this for 3 weeks then fell the f*ck off

Sh*t works though I was leannnn. jumping back on next week for 2months.

19hours no food

All I ate was Tuna , Protein shakes , Rice and Peri Peri Chicken and fruit

Just cram it all in. i didn't bother counting calories i just know that what i was eating was nowhere near maintenance, which is the key

• 4 weeks later...

Good for office workers/drivers etc.. Not really nessassary if you have an active job, im in the building industry and without breakfast i wouldnt last long.. Used to do 2-8 which my dad suggested (hes an experienced PT).. Im only 22 tho so my metabolism is still really fast and because of my active job im always burning what i eat throughout the day anyway

Currently standing at 6ft4 .. 200 pounds and 8% BF.. Been on a strict diet since the start of this year.. Ill uploads pics of some of my meals if anyones interested

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chelsea Jack

Already have a few times before.. The latest 1 being when a don laughed at me cuz i train some muscles twice in a 7 day period but you cosigned me lol

And there are pictures of my typical daily meals in the healthy eating thread

do you save the 7 pints of soco for cheat days fella?

For the record that story was true.. Slightly exaggerated but true and i wasn't boasting about it i was hospitalised .. It turned into trolling with the name change etc for a bit fun.

/

My eating window is 10-6 due to my first break at work being at 10 and need time for a pre work out meal before gym at half 5-6ish

Wake up at 6am... 100% whey protein isolate shake.. 10 o clock ill have quite a lot.. Whole tin of tuna, pack of ready to eat turkey.. Banana and something with some crunch (rivita breakfast biscuits or something).. 1am lunch.. Couple chicken breasts, some greek yogurt.. Get home about half 4 and ill fit in 2 big meals before 6 (brown rice, scrambled eggs, fish etc) any kind of good carbs and protein.. Gym at half 6-7ish.. When i get home ill have the same double scoop whey protein shake i had in the morning then have to stop myself eating till 10am the next day.

/

My routine changes depending on how my body looks and feels.. im about to change it up to fit in extra lat training.. need me some bigger wings..Current routine is (somewhat like a template)

Monday: back & legs (mainly machines etc for legs)

Tuesday: chest

Weds: arms

Thurs: shoulders

Friday: legs (mainly heavier stuff like squats, dumbbell lunges etc)

Saturday: re-pump arms

Sunday: rest

Do cardio 2-3 times a week.. Not in the gym tho ill go over the rugby field and do sprints, shuttles etc for 30-45 mins.. Cant be fucked to run for miles n miles and sprints are better anyway

All my training is high intensity and more of a comfortable weight (although i do push myself).. Not 1 of them dons that hit there 10 rep max then sit around for 5 minutes..ill hit a set then super set it with something else and keep my rest times as low as possible

Definately .. A good physique is 70% diet

I used to train hard but not really get anywhere.. Soon as i started eating clean i saw all kinds of gains.. Im bigger, stronger and look 100x better than couple my dons who are on roids but dont train as hard as me and have a shit diet.

Eat clean. Train dirty