Purchasing A Car

PopT

I am looking to purchase a car

Other then AutoTrader where do you recommend.  I don't want nothing flashy, Ford Focus Hatchback, good mileage

I overheard someone say they picked up a 06 Focus, with around £400 worth of damage in  chelmsford for £1200, it werent a auction, but somewhere the police had sized cars, anyone no the place

Where would you recommend

i wouldnt even trust that  shit tbh

id rather buy from a regulated place where the whip as been tested and everything is legit

tell you its one thing wrong, take it in and its like 10 times worse or something

but i dont know shit about cars so maybe its just me

Other then AutoTrader where do you recommend.  I don't want nothing flashy, Ford Focus Hatchback, good mileage

I overheard someone say they picked up a 06 Focus, with around £400 worth of damage in  chelmsford for £1200, it werent a auction, but somewhere the police had sized cars, anyone no the place

Its a bit tricky buying those salvage cars from co part. You don't really know what you are getting.

I bought a 07 plate  focus last month, 39k on the mileage for £1500. front door damage & wing.

£230 to deliver cost my  5bills to fix and get it running.   Just about 2,500 in total. Worth about £4,500 to sell

I initially wanted to buy & sell. But the car looked better than I thought on arrival. Clean and drives very well.

But it was a headache to  get everything together. You need to do your homework. 'Know people that know people'

dealing repair mechanics is a cowboys game.

It was all worth it though in the end.

It's a tough one. I've only ever bough from approved used places and you pay a little more for that. If you're going low end you've just got to take the risk.

Either learn what basics to look put for (does the engine start ok, are the fumes a normal colour, does the engine sound normal, etc) or take a mechanic and do a hpi check.

If it turns out the car is still fucked and you've bought it, just sell it. This is what one polish geezer I used to work with did

Its a bit tricky buying those salvage cars from co part. You don't really know what you are getting.

I bought a 07 plate  focus last month, 39k on the mileage for £1500. front door damage & wing.

£230 to deliver cost my  5bills to fix and get it running.   Just about 2,500 in total. Worth about £4,500 to sell

This is how LOGs got rich

You don't even need a mechanic.

first do your standard check, check the brake disc/pads, do they look worn or shot? if so you can drop the price down by £200 depending

Start the car up (on cold start up) and hear how she goes as most garages will try hide it by running the engine prior to you coming when the engine is warm. Check when it had its last service and what was done.

inspect the oil cap for any mayo looking substance (symptoms of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber resulting in head gasket problems)

drive the car over speed bumps slow and try to listen for any creaking noise, also inspect the shocks as any grease on them will mean they need doing

steer the car to full lock to the left/right slowly, any knocking noise will likely be a the cv joint going, this can be confirm by inspecting the cv boots (if they are detached from the drive shaft then more than likely the polygrease has escaped leaving debris to form within the bearings)

Also avoid buying cars that are old with very low mileage, chances is they have been standing for a long time which will more likely have rust/mould growing around door surrounds.

Prices of cars up north a cheaper, I brought a Honda Jazz from a garage up north for a good price recently.

• Upvote 2