And so it Begins....

Hank Moody

so im on fb goin thru one group i browse for gal

see a ting and think shes worth a punt

go to add her but the add button aint there,

but i can message her, so i click it 

and i get this..... 

81625439.jpg

WTF  so 71p to message people u aint friends with now, but if u keep adding people they ban ur account for 30days?

FB has fell off only a matter of time now till it joins face-pic and myspace in the E-grave yard

instagram stays winning (for now)

TBH FB can't lose at this one. No one on the horizon to shift them from what they do and all the other social apps link in with them.

on another note I've tried this and it still lets me send messages to women not in my immediate circle or with mutual friends in common. I wonder if it goes by how many messages per day you send out?

Ok found a bit about it on FB

If I'm not connected to someone on Facebook, how can I make sure a message reaches their inbox?

Messages you send to someone you're not connected to on Facebook may arrive in their Other folder. You may have the option of paying to route these messages to their inbox. When this delivery option is available, you'll see the price beneath your message.

Because we limit the number of messages a person can receive in their inbox from people they're not connected to, you may not always have this delivery option.

Seems they quietly soft launched this last year supposedly to test it.

A bit more about how it supposedly works. 

"Several commentators and researchers have noted that imposing a financial cost on the sender may be the most effective way to discourage unwanted messages and facilitate delivery of messages that are relevant and useful," the social networking website said in a statement.

"For example, if you want to send a message to someone you heard speak at an event but are not friends with, or if you want to message someone about a job opportunity, you can use this feature to reach their inbox," the statement said. “For the receiver, this test allows them to hear from people who have an important message to send them.”

Facebook said the new $1 fee could help dissuade spam or irrelevant messages from being sent to inboxes. Messages from those who pay the $1 fee will show up in the recipients inbox as normal messages, rather than in the "other" folder, which is frequently ignored, it said.

I didn't even realise I had a 'other' folder just checked it and it's full of mail from groups I'm part of.

• Upvote 4

Remember the Facebook experiment that'd let you pay to send messages to strangers inboxes? According to several reputable sources, not only will you be able to inflict your opinions on members of the general public, but for a premium you'll also be able to abuse celebrities. According to The Sunday Times, figures such as Michael Rosen, Tom Daley and Salman Rushdie can all be reached if you splash out around £10.68 ($16) -- with the fees on a sliding scale based on how many followers they have. According to prolific twitterer Rosen, he wasn't asked about being charged for access, and won't receive a penny of the paid fan mail. In an effort to test it out, we sent a cheery Monday morning missive to Snoop Dogg Snoop Lion, who is meant to be on the price list, but strangely we weren't charged a penny -- so we're not sure how far this has been rolled out. Either way, that's a tenner saved right there.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/08/facebook-celeb-messaging-fees/