WhatsApp

JOHN DOE

no one actually uses viber do they

used it back in the day to send over longer videos but watsapp update made it redundant

the 1 thing watsapp is missing is gifs i swear

i try tell the lads this n they're not even aware of what a gif is

this time next year, gifs everywhere, gifs on tees, quote me

BBC click done a special on gifs around 5 months ago they said exactly this

Surely they buy these companies for the data?

They've bought Whatsapp for the market share they command in Europe, Latin America & Asia with the prospect to potentially grow in North America where its low.

Whatsapp apparently get 1million new users a day and hope to have a billion by this time next year but don't see any monetisation in it for the next 10-15 years. So yeah, basically, they bought it for the market share it offers and hopefully drive traffic to Facebook at some point rather than focussing on the subscription.

Facebook have been trying to relaunch their Facebook chat as an independent messenger for some time now and had an offer to Snapchat rejected so this deal makes sense.

(I work as a private equity & venture capital analyst so spent all of Thurs/Fri looking at this deal)

Wonder when the new T&Cs are gonna drop

atm Whatsapp doesnt keep a log of chats, they are deleted from the servers once they are delivered to your phone.

We all know how facebook loves to data hoard tho.

Look out for the change to this in the terms.

The Information WhatsApp Does Not Collect

WhatsApp does not collect names, emails, addresses or other contact information from its users’ mobile address book or contact lists other than mobile phone numbers—the WhatsApp mobile application will associate whatever name the WhatsApp user has assigned to the mobile telephone number in his/her mobile address book or contact list — and this occurs dynamically on the mobile device itself and not on WhatsApp’s servers and is not transmitted to WhatsApp. This means that if you have your friend’s mobile phone number associated with the name “Shakespeare” in your mobile address book, that’s the name that will appear for that mobile phone number in your WhatsApp contact list. We do not collect location data, but users may voluntarily share their location with other users via the WhatsApp Service.

I don't think data will be so much an issue with Whatsapp though tbh. They have no intentions of offering advertising through whatsapp itself so unless they begin linking your numbers to FB profiles for better targeted ads that way. I'm not so sure though because FB are keeping whatsapp as its own independent arm suggesting little integration between the two which is what I find odd when it comes to monetisation but if this is the case data collection may not be too necessary

I know a few people who put their real numbers on FB but I have never done that for obvious reasons, I would doubt linking numbers to profiles is the plan, would be too hit and miss, maybe linking them via email though.

I reckon there will be advertising despite them saying there won't be but it will be interesting to see what they do and if it works.

Facebook already deaded it :lol:

I don't think data will be so much an issue with Whatsapp though tbh. They have no intentions of offering advertising through whatsapp itself so unless they begin linking your numbers to FB profiles for better targeted ads that way. I'm not so sure though because FB are keeping whatsapp as its own independent arm suggesting little integration between the two which is what I find odd when it comes to monetisation but if this is the case data collection may not be too necessary

Knowing what people are talking about privately is enough. They don't need to know who, they just want what.

This shit has been fucked for me all day

prob doing me a favour and ill end up staying in now instead of getting a random invite out.

Been on and off for me since yesterday morning

yh me too

kinda like not having it now tbh

Havent used my phone all day

Go it for some football talk, think thats weird nobody messaged me

See this topic 

ffs

I removed myself from groups a while back but there are a few people who don't live in england who I whatsapp with... Texting seems so formal.

This is peak :lol:

Sent bare texts

This is peak :lol:

Sent bare texts

that sounds too peak still

• Upvote 3

Ha.

Smh. Thought my shit was cut off or suttn.

Missed call from a random number and cant check who it is

So long

Just got a few messages come through but I can't reply

1ST TIME WHATSAPP IS DOWN

IS WHEN THEY SOLD IT TO FACEBOOK

Mine just came back