The time has come, the record ends here, one step too far, a genius in his warpath.

Floyd Mayweather Jr ready to put unbeaten record on the line against Saul Alvarez

Floyd Mayweather Jr is on track to step up to light-middleweight for what promises to be the fight of the year against Mexican sensation Saul Alvarez in September.

Pretty Boy may not fight Manny Pacquiao any time in the foreseeable future but a Mayweather-Alvarez battle with both unbeaten records on the line would more than make up for that disappointment.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer has worked extensively with both camps and has confirmed the duel between WBC welterweight champion Mayweather and Alvarez – undisputed king of the light-middleweight division – could be a hot ticket at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on September 14.

‘I am working on the fight,’ Schaefer said. ‘I’m crunching the numbers. You should see my calculator – it’s red-hot. I am working on a lot of fights, but this is my No.1 priority.

‘This is something I am pursuing and I am having conversations with both sides. [Alvarez] wants the fight and Floyd has never turned down an opponent.’

September 14 is an ideal date because it is the Mexican Independence Day weekend when the country’s top boxers traditionally fight a major opponent.

1000x7701.jpg?w=650&h=500&crop=1#038;h=7Saul Alvarez is the holder of two world titles (Picture: AP)

Mayweather will be seeking a hat-trick of victories after he beat Victor Ortiz in 2011 and Juan Manuel Marquez in 2009 at the same time of year.

Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) is just 22 but cemented his status as the top 154-pounder in the world on April 20 when he outpointed Austin Trout to unify two world titles in San Antonio.

Mayweather took his record to 44-0 with 26 KOs by dismantling the challenge of Robert Guerrero last weekend.

The only snag surrounding the fight is that Alvarez won’t drop down in weight while Mayweather has never boxed above 151lb, but both boxers appear eager to get it on.

Couple things.

Mayweather is still a bitch to hit, his movement is still amazing and you rarely see anyone actually land combinations on him because he always seems aware enough to dodge and rotate out of danger. In fact I cant remember the last time Money was hit by more than 2 consecutive punches. 

Not to say that Saul aint got the power to knock Mayweather out but you've got to connect firmly to do it cos clearly thats the only way to beat Mayweather. It cannot go to the score card, his movement tends to dazzle.

• Upvote 3

Guest Chelsea Jack

FLOYD BY WAY OF UNANIMOUS DECISION 

HOWEVER, HE WILL GET HURT DURING THE CONTEST AND IT WILL BE ONE OF HIS TOUGHEST FIGHTS TO DATE

• Downvote 1

I'm concerned now that because Mayweather has hardly lost any speed defensively, the rest of his victories will all come by decision. 

I think he knows now he doesn't truly have knockout power so I imagine he'll start aiming for that final bell at the end of the twelfth.

Did he actually hurt his hand in his last fight? I really cant tell by watching the fight.

I still think Floyd would do the business of Canello. He would go deeper than he has ever had to go before.

How has Canello has so many fights at that young age? He must have been putting Tuna cans away from 17 and minimal Am experience.

Only really a faded Sugar Shane(who still knocked down Floyd, Not officially but we all know it happened) and Trout

But he is still so young, most people his age wont have those scalps. Even Ryan Rhodes and Mathew Hatton are pretty good names 

• 2 weeks later...

Couple things.

Mayweather is still a bitch to hit, his movement is still amazing and you rarely see anyone actually land combinations on him because he always seems aware enough to dodge and rotate out of danger. In fact I cant remember the last time Money was hit by more than 2 consecutive punches. 

Not to say that Saul aint got the power to knock Mayweather out but you've got to connect firmly to do it cos clearly thats the only way to beat Mayweather. It cannot go to the score card, his movement tends to dazzle.

true

but alvarez extends the pocket really well and makes people come in to him - he wont be charging in at Floydy all guns blazin

also alvarez is quick exploding into combo's. is he quck enough to catch a (somewhat) aging floyd? don't know, which is why i;ll be wacthing this fight. je goes to the body well & wont be looking just to take floyd's head off. however he doesnt move his own head enough and his footwork is weak for his caliber

but great fight if it does happen imho