40 mil to spend

Dizzle

Wenger given ã40m fund to strengthen Arsenal squadMatt Hughes Patrick Kidd Arsène Wenger will be given considerable funds to strengthen Arsenalââ¬â¢s squad this summer and boost the clubââ¬â¢s challenge in the Barclays Premiership. Keith Edelman, the managing director, told shareholders on Thursday that a ââ¬Åsignificant sumââ¬Â would be made available to the manager for new players in an attempt to improve on their disappointing fourth-place finish this season.Arsenal have the facility to spend ã40 million on players over the course of next season as a result of a loan from Barclays, but such an outlay is unlikely. Wenger is adamant that he needs only one or two more players of ââ¬Åsuper qualityââ¬Â and is concentrating his efforts on signing Franck Ribéry, the winger, from Marseilles.Thierry Henry predicted better things for Arsenal next season after a second successive campaign without silverware. The forward said he had experienced slumps with the club before and knew that fortunes can quickly change.ââ¬ÅIââ¬â¢d be lying if I said we have been successful ââ¬Ã¢â¬Å we havenââ¬â¢t been successful for two years,ââ¬Â Henry said. ââ¬ÅMy first season at Arsenal [in 1999-2000] was not a successful one and the second one was the same. Then we went on to win the Double in 2002 so you never know what can happen.ââ¬ÅIf everybody is fit and fresh I donââ¬â¢t even think about not winning the title [next season]. I think weââ¬â¢re as good as Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool.ââ¬ÅI can understand losing the title race by a single goal but to be so far behind is hard to take.ââ¬Â Arsenal finished the season 21 points behind United.ââ¬ÅWeââ¬â¢ve been here before and weââ¬â¢ve come out on top before. What comes around goes around,ââ¬Â Henry said. ââ¬ÅManchester United have won the Premiership this year but who would have said that they wouldnââ¬â¢t win it for three years in a row?ââ¬ÂArsenal have struggled to settle in the Emirates Stadium after leaving Highbury last season. Although they lost only one game at home, they won 12, three fewer than United. Henry admitted that the move had proved more problematic than he expected, with Arsenalââ¬â¢s lack of history at their new ground robbing the club of some of its fear factor.ââ¬ÅI spoke to the boss about it and he raised a great point that when teams come to the Emirates they have no history of getting hammered,ââ¬Â Henry said. ââ¬ÅThey come fresh and have no history of losing a game.ââ¬ÂHenry said that Arsenalââ¬â¢s lack of width had hampered their season. ââ¬ÅItââ¬â¢s a paradox. The Highbury pitch was smaller but we were finding more space,ââ¬Â he said. ââ¬ÅNow nobody wants to stay on the wing to stretch a team and that makes a great difference.ââ¬Â
Taken from the times online.If that figures real, buying two world class players should not be a problem.Real talk by Henry aswell.

Guest Ryan

Hence why we need someone like SWP to stretch the play and defences who can also contribute goals.And call me tight but I'm not a fan of spending £20m here and £20m there especially when we've got a manager who can pick up players of the same quality for less than £5m.

We just need a direct goalscoring winger who can play on both wings.
For real, we don't actually NEED to spend big, a winger is the only thing required & a bit of luck with injuries.I think Walcott will be MUCH better next season, Im not sure if Vela is coming back but if he does he will be a big addition & both of them can play the wings or upfront.

I think Vela has another season out on loan so he should be back for the 2008/09 season.
s he ââ¬Åthe new Messiââ¬Â or is he the ââ¬Ånew Hugo Sanchezââ¬Âââ¬Â¦Arsenal fans may soon be able to make their own minds up about Carlos Vela.The 18-year-old signed for Arsenal a while back, but at the time couldnââ¬â¢t get a work permit. Quite how long heââ¬â¢ll have to wait for one remains to be seen; but there are rumours it could drag on until January 2008.Meanwhile, the ã1.5m signing is earning rave reviews at Segunda Liga club Salamanca and Gunners chief scout Steve Rowley reckons the boy could be a hit at the Emirates Stadium: ââ¬ÅCarlos is a great talent.ââ¬ÅHe's not a typical striker. He's a wonderful poacher. He's fast, a great dribbler and instinctive in the box.ââ¬Â