Music Industry

PopT

tbh Cas' tunes make drug dealing sound cooler than most of these road rappers do, I reckon he has more potential for success than most of these guys shooting hood videos

's what i'm talking about, selling the idea of a lifestyle in your lyrics

• Upvote 2

Cas shouldn't really be in this thread tbh.

why not?

Has zero chance of being commercially successful.

His fanbase ain't really saying much either.

do you think he could maintain an indie career?

and what about his fanbase?

people need to remember we're all debating whether we're ever gonna get a UK 50 Cent and we ain't even had a UK Nas or a UK Wu Tang yet

them man dropped classic classic albums and didn't go commercial for years

Cas shouldn't really be in this thread tbh.

why not?

Has zero chance of being commercially successful.

His fanbase ain't really saying much either.

do you think he could maintain an indie career?

and what about his fanbase?

people need to remember we're all debating whether we're ever gonna get a UK 50 Cent and we ain't even had a UK Nas or a UK Wu Tang yet

them man dropped classic classic albums and didn't go commercial for years

with uk hiphop, i find it hard to use the word 'classic album'. 2 or 3 maybe get a nod

definitely not happening in the near future, would take a movement to shake the game 

CAS' style is kinda niche tbh

its 50/50 if he'd be big

i can see him on them Complex type blogs and shit, if he ups the lyric content and gets sharper beats he could do something

but atm it just seems like his instrumental choices are all over the place

Look major labels are going to get you to make commercial music, regardless of if your a Chief Keef or whoever, at some point they want a "song for radio"

Nowadays a lot of artists coming out are presenting music for the consumer, on Youtube, but aren't actually selling the music. So even the consumer if they want to buy it, actually can't until you position yourself to do so, in a era of fast food music. You failed.

Now you might hope that the video you and your mates just dropped that some labels or a A&R will see also and it might inspire them to come scoop you for ameeting, but it won't cos they too can see you aint making money off that sh*t, as their isn't even a itunes link under the video. Labels respect buzz, but they also respect someone who can market and sell a record themselves WAY more.

• Upvote 1

I think someone like J Spades has way more potential than Cas.

He can make a real hook aswell.

Cas social media numbers are quite poor, 500 fb, 4000 twitter, 3000 yt.

He would struggle to have an indie career with them numbers.

social  media numbers doesnt equal sales my friend thats the problem...

you can ask man like Angel k.koke or even starbwoy nathan

on further pondering i can now see what's happened here

we had So Solid the big commercial splash

we had Dizzee the indie classic

then the industry just went and set the game back to zero

now ten years on theres less talent than ever in a sound that ain't even ours

might as well just end this thread here

I agree with what your saying.

In regards to the 2nd para, England is as capitalist as America. However what makes Jimmy Iovine pick up a Chief Keef or a 50 Cent? Cos he knows that their is a structure in place that will pick those guys, if he doesn't, and he hates to see others make the money he could have made. XL still picked up Giggs, as they are considered a cutting edge indie label, but lets be honest they could afford to stall and evaluate the situation as Giggs was hardly beating labels away. To me thats the difference.

As for the social/government aspect, Chief Keef regardless of the ignorant sh*t he is doing, from the beginning he has been selling records - he's a musican thats attempting to sell units NOT get a deal, thats what so many of these artists overlook.

Go to the hip hop room, and when the Chief Keef topic starts here http://www.vip2.co.uk/forum/topic/76664-chief-keef/ its AFTER https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-from-the-dead/id516662996 is available for SALE on GBE...

Ask yourself if you can say the same for your favourite UK road rapper...

Erm actually i can tbh, Blade Brown etc has had his mixtapes on sale.

Not that anyone is buying it, same thing with Chief Keefs first mixtapes, its not till he got a following with 'I Don't Like' that people would have been buying his music and even then hes sales for his album he dropped was hardly something to applaud.

These US rappers can get signed purely of youtube/hood buzz, thats the difference, someone like Lil Durk is already signed to Def Jam.

Blade didnt have his mixtapes on sale when his name started ringing... He got his business inline as he progressed.

Durk had radio spins.

lol wut?

But its part of the shepherd leading sheep effect though. 

Bare times I will see someones tune on youtube and think yeah this dude has potential . 

Then look at his hits & twitter followers and think naaaah. 

Sme goes with youtube. Peeps listen to music with there eyes these days. If it looks boring from the video avatar they aint checking 

and if it does look interesting, next thing they are checking his your views. 

Trust me, It does count 

• Upvote 2

You dont really need to blow though

exactly but every 1 wants to be that new nigga they allow to parade around in the industry until the 2nd album drops flops and u get dropped.

point of reference: kano, chipmunk, Durtty Goodz, plus more.

when artist get dropped they wanna befriend every1 in the underground whos relevant to get their buzz back up smh 

Giggs hype for fans started Talking The Hardest era, we can all say for a long time we hadn't seen a buzz like that for YEARS.

But thats not what got him a deal.

Labels paid attention when he UK album charted with Walk In The Park album on a indie. Why? Cos he marketed and sold a product.

exactly but every 1 wants to be that new nigga they allow to parade around in the industry until the 2nd album drops flops and u get dropped.

when artist get dropped they wanna befriend every1 in the underground whos relevant to get their buzz back up smh 

I actually mean you dont need talent to blow. 

But I see what you saying.

Giggs hype for fans started Talking The Hardest era, we can all say for a long time we hadn't seen a buzz like that for YEARS.

But thats not what got him a deal.

Labels paid attention when he UK album charted with Walk In The Park album on a indie. Why? Cos he marketed and sold a product.

valid point 

he generated a income without industry machine

he used the street buzz and public demand to hear an official album :)

i was around the sn1 camp during them times another mad industry period

I ain't saying social media numbers are everything but they are a start, aswell as your rep it's your mailing list of sorts.

You post your tune/video and your social media followers can help it spread, Cas biggest video view is 150k, most under 100.

Spades biggest at half a mill.

/

Cas style is too bait drugs aswell, if they need a radio tune what is rapping about?

Spades can make the catchy sing along chorus.