Entrepreneur Thread

PopT

Does anyone her run a business

yh

been jugglin a few things the past couple yrs since uni

started off jus me bein a lazy c*nt that didnt want to get a job cos that'd prevent me bein able to smoke all day

one thing completely took off now n im stuck doin it, strugglin to get onto the next stages of the plan cos im busy all day (n spend too much time here chattin shit)

hopefully lookin to get it all streamlined and pass it onto my lil bro by next march when im fucking off to oz, n then set up shop there

/

if any1 has any schemes they're runnin that they think will work over in oz n wana spread international next yr get in touch

even includes u chaps

money in abundance over there

he says he aint come across any yet

i was told from time back it was gonna be a mad price

from when speed is that then im not involved

was tryna blag him into gettin posted it

he says all the shit that gets posted to his street all goes to 1 neighbourhood postbox or some shit n there's an empty house down the road

hard to talk to him when he's in bed by 1pm

Does anyone her run a business

yh

been jugglin a few things the past couple yrs since uni

started off jus me bein a lazy c*nt that didnt want to get a job cos that'd prevent me bein able to smoke all day

one thing completely took off now n im stuck doin it, strugglin to get onto the next stages of the plan cos im busy all day (n spend too much time here chattin sh*t)

hopefully lookin to get it all streamlined and pass it onto my lil bro by next march when im f*cking off to oz, n then set up shop there

/

if any1 has any schemes they're runnin that they think will work over in oz n wana spread international next yr get in touch

even includes u chaps

money in abundance over there

What line of work are you into? I know people involved in business there but don't know if it's relevant to you

• 2 weeks later...

only got 1 competitor in europe n id like it to stay like that

obviously not worried about u mike but anybody could be readin

plus it'd potentially bait up my phone number n address

not bein 4channed

are you into sublimation/printing by any chance?

Na i cant imagine thats a very uncompetitive market

U r tho ini u said about customisation shit before

O n as of the other day i have no competitors in Europe, them lot have packed in the customer side of things n i got a cheaper closer supplier in the process eeeeuuuurrrr

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

i use paypal only because i already use it for other services n it's what my web developer prefers

there'll be cheaper methods but u dont wana scare em off with some unknown

i was lookin at google checkout before but they ask everyone to sign up so they can buy

payatrader is meant to be cheap for invoices etc duno bout e-shops, u can find free sign up codes online, but like i said its an unknown

what u mean by this fulfilment lark? like ur shits in their warehouse n they handle all shipping? gota be moving numbers ini? must cost a bit aint u got a little bro or cousin u can get to handle post office runs

if ur on anythin relating to electronics pm me gee networking is key

f*ck paypal

spent all day finding an alternative for takin cards

ball ache is i need somethin that can fit into invoice software

all day

might aswell share my fun

authorize.net will probs be best for u cp if ur doin high cost shits n a reasonable volume

50 pound set up fee, 20 quid monthly, then .15p per transaction

pisstake is u have to sign up all over again for every different currency u wana use, so aint gd if u wana go international

braintreepayments is cheap, 1.8-2.6% a pop, but minimum monthly spend is $100 so not really good for startin up

if u wana get set up quicktime without startup fees ive got a link for payatrader minus the £100 setup fee n its 3.4% a pop, only issue is i think its jus uk payments only n it looks proper cheap, atleast the invoices do, not flashy at all

paypal, google n amazon can suck me off

• 4 months later...

The house Poundland built: Entrepreneur who sold his company for £50million now lives in a luxury 13-bedroom mansion complete with swimming pool and pub
  • Steve Smith, 51, lives in a 13-bedroom mansion in Shropshire
  • He opened his first shop at the age of 16 in West Bromwich
  • The businessman opened his first Poundland in 1990 in Burton upon Trent
  • He sold his share of the business in 2002 and bought this luxury home

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 22:34, 20 January 2014 | UPDATED: 00:06, 21 January 2014

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
44 shares

View

comments

Times were tough for Steve Smith, the founder of Poundland, when he was growing up. 

At the age of just two he would find himself sat on his father's market stall freezing cold at 6am. 

But a brain for business obviously ran in the family as the entrpreneur went on to sell his company for £50million.

article-2542908-1AD517D600000578-337_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Poundland boss Stephen Smith outside his mansion in Shropshire standing next to his Lamborghini

Now Mr Smith, 51, lives in a 13-bedroom mansion in Shropshire which has its own swimming pool, snooker room and pub. 

The businessman is now making a start on his next venture - an online version of Poundland called

poundshop.com.

Mr Smith says his inspiration was his hardworking dad who ditched his job to become a trader selling

pens door to door when he realised it brought in more money. 

This led his father to start a market stall before he bought his own cash and carry.

Mr Smith remembers helping out on both the stall and in the cash and carry which is where he learnt the basics of business.

article-2542908-1AD5152200000578-634_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Fancy a pint: Steve Smith behind the bar in his luxury 13-bedroom home in Shropshire

article-2542908-1AD5162100000578-940_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Lucky break: After selling his share of Poundland its founder Steve Smith make a sweet £50million

Mr Smith told The Sunday People: 'I used to be straight out of school and on the stall, loading vans,

going round houses knocking on doors to try to sell things. 

'It was a way of making pocket money. I was always interested in making cash. I'd get round to doing

my homework later. 

'I was more interested in getting in making cash. I’d get round to doing my homework later.' 

When most 16-year-olds would have been sitting exams, Mr Smith opened his first discount shop in West Bromwich.

article-2542908-1AD5160300000578-606_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

From rags to riches: Steve Smith's market trader father would be proud of his son now living in this home fit for a king

article-2542908-1AD517B600000578-811_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Palatial: Steve Smith kneels next to his luxury pool in his Shropshire mansion which he bought after selling his share in Poundland for £50million

article-2542908-1AD517CE00000578-446_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Through the keyhole: Steve's Smith's hallway which leads to 13-bedrooms in his Shropshire mansion

If items had lost their packaging they were put in a box and sold for 10p.

The box was always popular and everything got sold which is where the idea for Poundland came. 

He managed to convice a shopping centre in Burton upon Trent to open a store in December 1990 and £13,000 of stock was sold on the first day. 

Mr Smith remembers working through the night to get the shop re-stocked for the following day.

article-2542908-1AD5150300000578-340_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

The boy did good: Poundland founder Steve Smith stands in his kitchen at his home in Shropshire

article-2542908-1AD5167300000578-890_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

Living the dream: Times were tough for Steve Smith growing up but now he gets to relax in this luxury living room which has its own jukebox

article-2542908-1AD5165B00000578-126_634
icon_camera_90x68.png+9

A chandelier hangs over the large table in Steve Smith's dining room in Shropshire

In 2002 he sold his share of Poundland for nearly £50million.

By then the business had a million customers a week and 6,000 people were employed by the company. 

Mr Smith now finds himself living in a luxury mansion with his family while also owning homes in Florida and Majorca. 

Despite having enough money in the bank to retire, Mr Smith didn't want to stop working just yet and has launched a number of other businesses including one which offers investment loans to other entrepreneurs waiting for a lucky break.

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542908/The-house-Poundland-built-Entrepreneur-sold-company-50million-lives-luxury-13-bedroom-mansion-complete-swimming-pool-pub.html#ixzz2qznAHINE

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook