Leaving the UK?

Woodpecker

I've always wondered why there aren't more expats on this forum.

What are peoples thoughts on travelling out of the UK to look for work?

If you would live somewhere else would it be and what would be the reasons?

Did you know if you could speak german, french or italian you could probably earn 6-15 times what you earn now (with a degree) doing the same thing while at the same time spending a lower percentage of your salary (15-30%) on rent?

I've always wondered why there aren't more expats on this forum.

What are peoples thoughts on travelling out of the UK to look for work?

If you would live somewhere else would it be and what would be the reasons?

Did you know if you could speak german, french or italian you could probably earn 6-15 times what you earn now (with a degree) doing the same thing while at the same time spending a lower percentage of your salary (15-30%) on rent?

Exactly - language barrier.

I think it's down in part to us living on an island. Seems like everyone in mainland europe speaks / understands another language. That along with their native tounge AND English.

If those figures are correct then .... we should all do it.

Personally would consider somewhere with a healthier lifestyle, better weather, and a better salary/standard of living.

Tbh its not THAT bad here or more people would leave imo.

If I find an opportunity abroad I am gone.  Can speak some Portuguese (Still learning), and read/understand a small amount of Spanish.  Wish I had learned languages when I was younger and found an opportunity to live abroad.  My friend knew someone that did one of those volunteering schemes in Brazil and apparently was the best thing she ever did.

Hoping to get solid practice Portuguese out in Brazil come carnival time.

One thing I will say is learning a language is one of the most enjoyable things I have done.  Definitely something I would recommend to everyone.

Always been my aim to leave tbh. Had an opportunity to go both Australia & France but for different reasons I couldn't do either.

Got an interview this week though for an investment advisor job in Kuala Lumpur where I spend 6 months there be transferred to any location (within scope of the business) in Asia, South America or Middle East.

My aim personally is to get to Shanghai

In relation to Germany, I've never been, but old colleagues and also German tutors I had all told me that the vast majority of MNE's working language is English and its not a big issue not knowing German and the pay is substantially better for a graduate compared to the UK

Looked at going out there for work earlier this year but the mrs didn't fancy it