Leaving the UK?

Woodpecker

thanks to all the people that replied to the original question before the quick derail

out of those that want to travel abroad, what is it that is holding you back from doing it?

those that have plans to move away. What, if anything, are you doing to prepare yourself for abroad and in what timescale are you planning on leaving?

I want to have a job so I can at least have some security.  I don't want to take the risk of just moving somewhere and hoping to get by.  I also have to factor in the missus so whatever opportunity that arises has to be for our future.  She's pretty cool though in regards to being willing to support and move with me if I got an opportunity.

Slightly related, Channel 4 has a program about immigrants coming to England trying to learn English and the troubles they have doing so.  Really puts into perspective how hard it is moving somewhere and starting up from scratch is.

I remember reading about how Richard Branson ran away from his profitable Virgin Nigeria venture because of the nature of corruption in Nigeria, vowing never to do business in the country ever again. 

http://www.informationng.com/2012/07/nigerian-politicians-are-very-insane-they-kill-dreams-richard-bransonvirgin-atlantic.html

looking for a more solid source but cant seem to find one- fake?

i doubt branson would go that hard at any government - corrupt or not- doesnt make business sense 

Slightly related, Channel 4 has a program about immigrants coming to England trying to learn English and the troubles they have doing so.  Really puts into perspective how hard it is moving somewhere and starting up from scratch is.

Name/link?

Why Don't you Speak English?

It just finished so turn on +1 and you should be able to catch it.

/

Just been on gumtree and seeing most people are charging £20 per hour.  Going to contemplate it but may start doing them in September.

some of u guys are just flinging out these random countries tho 

who wants to live in norway and can a nubian king like myself live peaceful in those countries

(no racial thread divert)

Eeesh fam.

FAM.

Scandanavia >>>

/

Want to learn either Dutch or German & continue my football coaching educatin in either Holland or Germany but still not too sure about the opportunities available.

Could easily move to the Middle East or Far East to coach & earn silly money but right now, it's more developing my knowledge. Will definitely go there at some point to stack, USA too but right now, looing at NED or GER.

those that have plans to move away. What, if anything, are you doing to prepare yourself for abroad and in what timescale are you planning on leaving?

I recently emailed almost everyone I've met who are currently residing in China, so that when I do go out there I know I'll have some support. I genuinely don't think I could head there if I only had a few connections or didn't know anyone at all, especially if I plan on doing this job hunt from scratch. I'm working until December and I'll see what my savings are saying at that point. Only trouble I'll have is with a visa - basically the only thing that will stop me from working there :lol:

If I do find work out there, hopefully the worst scenario would just be me having to return home to get the work visa.

I moved to Singapore....stayed for 7 years... then came back for various reasons...

Lifestyle overseas is nice, you get to see and do sooooo much more than here

Sometimes i regret coming back, sometimes I dont, but I have no regrets..

WOuld highly recommend it to anyone... even if its for a year

The friends i've made away from this country >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

• Upvote 1

i've always said to myself i'd live abroad at some stage & still intend to. it's so easy to get consumed by London & spend your whole life in the same place

luckily i;ve got family scattered around so once uni's done i'll give it a shot.

definitely looking to move out of europe, i think being somewhere totally alien lets u think about what your priorities really are

these non london born people are f*cking up the bass for the rest of us

these days in the office/city i hear so many accents that are not london ones

Well rude. Damn foreigners coming into London and taking your jobs.

i'm leaving the uk next week i'm going nyc for 3 months and then mexico for 6 months I couldn't sit around for any longer feeling out where abroad I want to
be (and enduring england) so I'm leaving on a traveller vibe atm. I've had my eyes on either germany or netherlands for a long 

time tho in terms of more long term living my german is rusty and my dutch is bad but i'm down to brushup/ learn plus i have some friends out there.

I cant really add to much to this thread in terms of job opps as i'm just free flowing/linking up with musicians/creating shit but i think everyone should go
for it. For me personally the energy in this country is draining even if its short term it's good to refresh get new perspectives not seeing the same dry faces.

it's so easy to get consumed by London & spend your whole life in the same place

^^ it really is.

My cousin moved to kenya after finishing his degree. His business flopped first year but he managed to get the right connections relocated to south sudan and now he's a millionnaire. Told me moving back to the motherland was the best choice he's ever made.

Told me you can't get far in europe since all the wealth is pretty much determined. For example If you were to start a bus service you can't compete with with arriva, first, stagecoach etc these companies have been in the game for decades but bring the same idea with capital to an african country and you're much more likely to succeed.

Also when you have money in africa you're living, non of this western stress.

yep

the 'developing world' as the put it...is developing

plenty of opportunities, and money getting thrown at shit in certain cities. also we have a different perspective on life and how things work coming from the west, stuff that may be seen as innovative and forward thinking there, is pretty normal here

• 3 weeks later...

another update from switzerland, put in some extra hours this month at the coffee shop and got paid 2500GBP, probably about 800 in tips too

how much closer is anyone to their target? I'm really getting tempted to look for a professional job here where I could be earning 7,8,9,10. The demand for english speakers is fucking massive