The Mesut Ozil Thread

gemma

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy attempted to block Arsenal's £42.5 million capture of Mesut Ozil on transfer deadline day, according to reports in Spain.

Levy was stunned to discover the German midfielder was on his way to their north London rivals after being told he was not for sale by Real Madrid.

Spurs had enquired about the availability of Ozil in July and August during discussions over the world record £86m transfer of Gareth Bale.

Spanish newspaper El Confidencial claimed Levy called Real president Florentino Perez on Monday in an attempt to stop Ozil's transfer to Arsenal.

Levy felt betrayed after lengthy negotiations over Bale and a partnership agreement between Spurs and the Spanish giants that was agreed when Luka Modric left White Hart Lane.

But Perez politely informed Levy that the deal to sell Ozil to Arsenal was all but done.

Cristiano Ronaldo has declared his anger at Mesut Ozil’s departure to Arsenal.

Germany playmaker Ozil was a deadline-day record signing for the Gunners at £42.5million, with Ronaldo becoming the latest Real Madrid star to express his frustration at the move.

According to Spanish paper AS, Ronaldo has told Portugal team-mates his views on Ozil's switch, which came hours after confirmation of Real's world-record £86million signing of Tottenham's Gareth Bale.

'The sale of Ozil is very bad news for me,' he said.

'He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal... I'm angry about Özil leaving.'

Real claim the move to Arsenal is a result of Ozil wanting to leave, but he had been told to go because the club need to pay loans taken out to bring in Bale, costing £100m-plus in repayments.

Bale will not be able to offer Ozil’s ability to find Ronaldo with a pass anywhere on the pitch, as the Portugal star alluded to.

Ronaldo's words come after a host of other top Real players spoke out on their team-mate's departure for London.

"Ozil was the second-best player at Real Madrid behind Cristiano Ronaldo," Fabregas told COPE.

"I could identify with him really well as we have a similar style of play. He's an amazing signing for Arsenal."

• Upvote 2

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy attempted to block Arsenal's £42.5 million capture of Mesut Ozil on transfer deadline day, according to reports in Spain.

Levy was stunned to discover the German midfielder was on his way to their north London rivals after being told he was not for sale by Real Madrid.

Spurs had enquired about the availability of Ozil in July and August during discussions over the world record £86m transfer of Gareth Bale.

Spanish newspaper El Confidencial claimed Levy called Real president Florentino Perez on Monday in an attempt to stop Ozil's transfer to Arsenal.

Levy felt betrayed after lengthy negotiations over Bale and a partnership agreement between Spurs and the Spanish giants that was agreed when Luka Modric left White Hart Lane.

But Perez politely informed Levy that the deal to sell Ozil to Arsenal was all but done.

>Cristiano Ronaldo has declared his anger at Mesut Ozil’s departure to Arsenal.

Germany playmaker Ozil was a deadline-day record signing for the Gunners at £42.5million, with Ronaldo becoming the latest Real Madrid star to express his frustration at the move.

According to Spanish paper AS, Ronaldo has told Portugal team-mates his views on Ozil's switch, which came hours after confirmation of Real's world-record £86million signing of Tottenham's Gareth Bale.

'The sale of Ozil is very bad news for me,' he said.

'He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal... I'm angry about Özil leaving.'

Real claim the move to Arsenal is a result of Ozil wanting to leave, but he had been told to go because the club need to pay loans taken out to bring in Bale, costing £100m-plus in repayments.

Bale will not be able to offer Ozil’s ability to find Ronaldo with a pass anywhere on the pitch, as the Portugal star alluded to.

Ronaldo's words come after a host of other top Real players spoke out on their team-mate's departure for London.

"Ozil was the second-best player at Real Madrid behind Cristiano Ronaldo," Fabregas told COPE.

"I could identify with him really well as we have a similar style of play. He's an amazing signing for Arsenal."

this is all making me smile 

• Upvote 2

truss @ goliath

im thinking ye, when silva come over in his first season he ripped the league, like real life mockage, and good as he is ozil is better

with flamini involved as well this is our best chance at silverware since that game we will not mention.

might have to stop being so anti when it comes to arsenal

but im afraid to dream cah

The pressure, plus the envy of being the most expensive there.

For them prices Bale needs to eclipse EVERYONE in that league let alone team to be accepted. And we all know Ronaldo won't like that.

And before Utd fans get gassed into thinking he'll go back to Utd, lol at anyone let alone him signing for Moyes and an unhappy Rooney.

Mesut Ozil's father, Mustafa, gave an interview to Sky Sports News HD after his son signed for Arsenal. This is an extract from the interview:

Why did Mesut decide to join Arsenal?

Arsenal is a very big club. The club tried hard to sign Mesut and he has a great perspective there. Mesut wants to help the club to bring in some silverware. We appreciate the interest of such a big coach like Arsène Wenger.

The fans will expect a lot of Mesut...

He can show his skills and help the club to win the Premier League or maybe an international title.

Is he happy to take a new challenge?

He is proud to play for Arsenal and we are looking forward to London. Arsenal is his new club.

What role did Arsène Wenger play in Mesut’s decision?

He was one of the deciding persons to convince us. It's also very helpful that he speaks German well. But that’s not all. He also told us about his plans with the team and especially with Mesut. He wants him to play a big role in midfield.

Arsène Wenger is well known for developing talent. Do you hope that Mesut can improve under him?

Of course I do. Mesut is still not at his top level. I’m sure there is still 15 to 20 per cent to get out of him and Mr Wenger will help him to do that.

Mesut will now go to the Premier League - which is very physical. How is he prepared for that?

You are right but I would not see it as tougher than in Spain. La Liga teams do not play with less players and they also play twice every week. He is physically prepared for that.

Arsenal already have two German internationals in their squad. How much is he looking forward to playing with Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker?

He is very happy to play with both of them. But he also welcomes the rest of the squad. The transfer to Arsenal is the best thing he could do.