Nokia has been bought by Microsoft :(

Lenny

So, Microsoft has bought Nokia's Mobile Phone Division.

Thought this deserved its own topic as I'm pretty sure all of us had a Nokia growing up.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/microsoft-will-acquire-nokias-devices-and-services-business/

Whoa. Big news from the middle of the night. According to Nokia, Microsoft will purchase "substantially" all of Nokia's device and service arms as well as licensing the phone maker's patents and mapping know-how. Redmond will pay Nokia a cool 3.79 billion euros ($4.99 billion) for the business, and 1.65 billion euros ($2.18 billion) for the patent armory.

i guess it gives them more control on the hardware development , like apple but microsoft doesnt have that cohesive vision or leader . it has a lot of dead weight thats not making money or having a proper system that allows the ideas to flow through   

Companies can only grow organically to a natural size before they can't grow anymore.

You either invent something brand new or buy/merge with someone who can give you a new market and customer base.

That's basically what they've done. People forget Google bought Motorola and Apple only developed their iPhone through the use of Cingulars facilities.

I've never been a fan of the MS OS on phones and haven't bought a Nokia phone since the teardrop thing they had back in the day, but anything which leads to more competition and better OS/Phones for customers is a winner in my eyes. Hopefully this means the new range with MS OS will be better than what we've had to date.